Talent Bank Task Force

Find each other here and set up your own informal Success Teams. Registered leaders will visit and can be asked questions.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Postby Fastalaskan » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:31 pm

Just Tri It wrote: For example, wouldn't it be cool if each person in the database could upload a video of themselves telling potential employers what great job they could do? Almost like a video dating service! :)
I like the idea, and once again we'll have to wait and see about bandwidth, etc. But it made me think of mp3's which are easier and take less space. And mp3's made me think of Barbara's weekly audio tips. And that made me think that members can have an opt-in mailing list and maybe the members can share the costs of this sort of thing? I don't know exactly how it would work, but it seems like the benefit of sharing resources should be explored. Thanks for the great brainstorming, Pam. We're not necessarily burned out, just needing direction.
"What we see depends mainly on what we look for." -- John Lubbock
Fastalaskan
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Just Tri It » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:41 pm

I like the idea of video because some people present themselves better in person (like a video). Some people present themselves better on the phone (audio). Some would do better just displaying their portfolio, or having their music or voice available for potential employers to listen to. Some folks' talents just don't lend themselves well to a visual medium like a web page (words and graphics). And the people who have unusual talents going underutilized may be the people who have difficulties explaining or selling those talents via written words, which is the typical medium for a job search (resumes and cover letters). But, it was definitely a brainstorm, not a request or anything. It could be an enhancement in Phase Two. ;)) I'm all about coming up with wacky ideas - not so great on the implementation, or determining feasibility... 8)
Just Tri It
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Fastalaskan » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:50 pm

I distinctly remember Barbara stating at the idea party that she wanted this to be separate from the boards. She said "I might be involved, but it's going to be separate". So that could mean that she wants to figure out how it can be self-supportive and stand on its own, or it could mean - who knows what? And it could be that she's changed her mind and now would like it to be a part of her own ..................................I'm now on board with Cathryn and Tricia in that we do need at least a little bit of feedback. Did you see the idea she had about changing the wishcraft.com site to a paid service? With a forum and quizzes? If you want to know more, I'll go find it. Lazy day today, but let me know. And I like Cathryn's dreamcatcher theme. The different sections of the site can have different names. Dreamcatchers, dreamhelpers, or whatever else. Rather than the traditional titles. Tricia, maybe we need another summary of everything we've decided so far since we've made quite a bit of progress since the last one. I volunteer for it, but would like till Friday or Saturday. I will take each point (Non-profit aspect, funding, mission statement and put it in something like an excel spreadsheet and email it to Tricia to send out to our team members. That would be a good thing to do because these boards make it so time-consuming to view topics and post feedback. ) For example, under the non-profit column I would put down Pros and list them, then Cons, then a comments column to put Cathryn's affiliation suggestioin, then a column called Consensus (is there a better word?). That column will be what we think it should be. Like I said, we're not deciding, just providing our opinions based on experiences and saying Barbara, we think this is the best solution. Now will you add your thoughts? That would make it easy for her to scan and comment. Good idea? I'll get working on it tomorrow and give me a nudge, Tricia, around Friday. It is my favorite type of thing to do, I'm just having a lazy day.
Last edited by Fastalaskan on Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fastalaskan
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Fastalaskan » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:53 pm

Pam, Yeah, but sometimes the best ideas come from the outrageous brainstorms. This could be something left up to the member to choose. And maybe it can be for enhanced membership, like the levels Cathryn has been suggesting. Pay an extra amount, upload your video, mp3, etc. Anything else Pam? I like your squirrel picture.
Fastalaskan
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Just Tri It » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:02 pm

Some random thoughts that came to mind: DreamCrafters or just DreamCraft DreamSeekers DreamTeam (didn't someone suggest this already?) DreamBank DreamJob or DreamJobBank (not really descriptive of the site's purpose?) Just running with the "dream" word, which I like...
Just Tri It
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Findthejoyagain » Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:16 am

FastAlaskan wrote: [Where are they? Those of you who have built databases, what is the cost? Up-front to build, and then to maintain, both in time and dollars? We haven't heard from Jennifer (helperham) in awhile. Findthejoy, what is your experience of this? Thanks. Don't feel like you have to answer a "right" answer (you couldn't without exact criteria), we're just in the planning stages, and your opinion would be valuable.][/quote] Sorry I've been away for some days. When I was working, the going rate for young programmers was $45-$55K Per yr. More experienced Designers or contractors could go 100K or more. But companies outsourced and got 3-for-1. Don't know what the market is doing since 2003. My suggestions is: Find some out-of-work over 40 programmers/designers to contract the work with. I'm sure a more reasonable rate could be negotiated when there is NO money coming in.
Findthejoyagain
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Just Tri It » Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:34 am

Findthejoyagain wrote:My suggestions is: Find some out-of-work over 40 programmers/designers to contract the work with. I'm sure a more reasonable rate could be negotiated when there is NO money coming in.
DING DING DING!!! That would be .... ME!!! Of course, you can't get much better than free. :D Wish I could find me one of those 100K jobs! I'm not sure they exist anymore, unless I'm willing to sell my soul too. :( Once we hear from Barbara on our direction, I can research the other costs that would be involved (mostly hosting).
Just Tri It
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Networking folders

Postby Creative Sage » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:55 pm

Hello everyone, This is a little off-topic, but I think it's relevant to the Talent Bank. In a private message exchange I had with someone else here who's a copywriter from a discussion in another thread, it came to my attention that we might start a copywriting/editing networking folder in Barbara Sher's forums, since there are a significant number of copywriters and editors here. The purpose would be to exchange professional tips, information, referrals to clients or jobs, and form alliances with colleagues for projects in this specific occupation. In fact, I'm wondering if we should just create a "Networking" topic folder, with sub-folders in copywriting/editing, video, audio, music, coaching, consulting, and any other occupational areas people want. Do you know what the policy is about that--can anyone start such a folder in this forum, or do we have to ask someone permission first? Since I'm on the Talent Bank Task Force, I thought maybe we should also add "Networking" to the categories in that database, with subcategories for different threads or occupations and interests...maybe also networking for apprenticeships and internships. Please advise if anyone knows if it's OK to just initiate the "Networking" folder and sub-folders on the boards here, and comment about adding it to the Talent Bank database. Thanks! Cathryn/Creative Sage TM
Creative Sage
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Fastalaskan » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:50 pm

Hi Cathryn, Good idea for adding it to the talent bank website. I like that. As far as what the rules are for adding it to the board, I've never seen anything like that before. You can pm Merk and ask him. He would know the rules. I've noticed the boards are changing, like with the addition of the freebies and donations thread, so it's a good chance they'll say ok...I think Merk will probably want to ask Barbara first. Findthejoy, Thank you very much for your response. I guess it was more a question of the actual cost, rather than a salary range, since we have volunteers. Meaning is there special software required or is it possible to get open source stuff? What does it do to a hosting fee, are they more expensive to include this? And just like Just tri it says, we'll just have to cross that bridge when we get to it. Now Jennifer has stated that she'll build it for free, Pam and find the joy, what are the schedules going to be like for maintaining it? I mean it could take off quickly and new things will need to be added. I've volunteered to help with data entry if needed, but not having experience will that be possible? Is it something that can easily be done? Are the three or four members on the database team going to be able to commit to maintaining? I wouldn't want anyone to get in over their heads with time commitments, and we all have our own lives to work on, I'm just trying to get an idea. I don't even know how much I can devote to it, or if I can be of any help without experience, but I can say I can commit to a couple hours a week at least for the first few months and see how it goes. If everyone states their availability, we'll know if we will need to look into soliciting other volunteers or if we are ok for now. If my schedule changes I can give at least a few weeks notice also. But again, I don't even know if my services are necessary, being inexperienced, I'm just offering. Would I be able to enter data once the database is built? I do know website design, if that helps. Find the joy, sorry for my panicky post asking where are they? There was no need for that, since we don't even know what the deadline for this is yet. I'll take it easy. Promise. I wonder if I should ask Merk to fix Jennifer's log in? Or just leave it alone? See how I worry about everything? I'll stop it now and just listen to \"Peace Train\" by Cat Stevens, my just chill out now song. :)
Fastalaskan
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Just Tri It » Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:48 pm

Data entry would be negligible on an ongoing basis, since members will add their own info. Upfront data entry would most likely be handled by the person or persons doing the programming, although a minimal amount of additional help might be required. Maintenance would require about the same time and cost constraints as maintaining any web site. A few hours a week? 10 hours? 20? 1 hour a month? It's impossible to tell at this stage, and it depends on how complex the final design is. I'm currently unemployed, so unless the Great Job Gods smile upon me tomorrow, I'm available indefinitely. I've got no irons in the fire at all. :( Technically, there's more to this than simply designing and building the database. We've been discussing the database, because that's the nuts and bolts of it. But we will still need to build a web site to provide public access to this database. Since we've reached an impasse as far as designing the database itself, perhaps we can talk about web design, and the \"look and feel\". I'm not sure how folks are supposed to find it and access it in terms of Barbara's other site(s), so a bit of discussion on that is worthwhile (to me, at least). What do we want our page(s) to LOOK like? Can we come up with some ideas (independent of Barbara's input at this stage) as far as design? Maybe we can each offer a few URLs as examples of what we each like or don't like? Here's a place to start: http://www.csszengarden.com/ Go to the above link and then in the area called \"Choose a Design\", click on the different designs to get an idea of the different feels you can get with some minor changes to CSS code.
Just Tri It
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Just Tri It » Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:49 pm

Another name idea: TalentMarket It doesn't reach out from my screen and slap me, but it's ok.
Just Tri It
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Fastalaskan » Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:11 pm

Hi Pam, I like the dream theme that Cathryn and you came up with. I think Talent Market is ok too. But dream catcher is already taken as a .com But what if we name the different areas of database with different dream names? Dream seekers for those needing contract work (job seekers) and dream helpers for those who can do coaching consulting services, dream crafters for the marketing or writing type of services available, dream team for partnerships/mentoring?
Fastalaskan
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby DreamThief » Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:58 pm

Hi everyone, skillfinder.net -.org and -.us are all available, and skillfinder.com has no website associated with it. It was registered in 1996 and the registration will expire in October 2005. It's registered to someone whose country is CH (Perhaps China?) I can't remember all the other names I've tried, I just sat online and spooled off ideas at networksolutions.com until I found one that was free in all the major extensions. I remember allot of the names started with dream- and talent- and skill-. There's the next question. Once we find a name we like, do we want to spend the money to secure it in several major extensions so no one can steal our brand name? Cathryn, I think a month or 2 ago we saw a new set of threads started by or on behalf of Moonracer which we thought might duplicate our efforts here, but we decided the threads were helpful to us because we could watch them and see how people interact in them. I've never been back to them, has anyone else? Fastalaskan, thank you for offering to do a chart summary of our work. I haven't heard anything from Barbara, but perhaps if we could present something concise and organized like your chart to her we could entice her back into our spotlight for a few minutes. Best wishes, Tricia / DreamThief
:D I'll treat your dream like my own until it's fulfilled.
DreamThief
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby docsue » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:50 am

I love the dream theme too, but maybe that's a tag line, not a domain name? I'm not sure that talent-seekers would understand that as a place to go. Talentseek? Talentmart? Fillyourjob? Dreamhire? THETalentmart is available; also Officialtalentmart or Shertalentmart. Shertalentbank is available. Talentseeksite is available. Dreamhire is gone, but adding Sher or The or Official makes it ours. Same is true for Jobmatch. Same is true for fillyourjob. Separate networking threads sounds like a fine idea to me.
docsue
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Findthejoyagain » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:35 am

I really hope we'll be able to attach Barbara's name to this somehow, because without her it would not have taken any shape at all. And, of course with her name it will have a lot of instant credibility. I also like the Talent or Skill names in the domain name, but LOVE the dream theme with the individual sections within the site. Rudine
Findthejoyagain
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Informal Success Teams