Start informal success team-Los Angeles area

Find each other here and set up your own informal Success Teams. Registered leaders will visit and can be asked questions.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Start informal success team-Los Angeles area

Postby schubon » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:03 am

Anyone interested in starting an informal success team in the Los Angeles area - I live north of L.A., but don't have any qualms about driving to a meeting point elsewhere. Let's put our heads and energies together and go for it! :) :P
schubon
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Gist » Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:45 am

Did this happen? I'm in Los Angeles (San Fernando Valley) and would love to find a success team or idea party.
Gist
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Sierra » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:41 pm

Hi Gist--and anyone else in the LA area. (I'm near downtown.) I'm willing to start an informal success team or buddy system in some sort of form--phone, email, in person on occasion, etc. This had been one of my New Year's resolution to do anyhow--get some sort of active support group going in the area. Hope to hear from you! (I'll send you a PM here about this too.) Sierra :)
Sierra
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

I am interested in the LA success team

Postby pitchersage » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:37 pm

I live in Pasadena. I am interested in the possibility of an informal success team in the LA area. I have gone to 2 of Barbara's workshops & read many of her books. I would be willing to have it in my home, if a space is needed.
pitchersage
New User
New User

Postby Sierra » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:04 am

This is good! There's 3 of us so far with an interest in this. I've PM'd both of you. Pitchersage suggested a coffee house in Silverlake to meet as a possible central location. That would work for me. My suggestion is perhaps phone conversations to get things finalized for a 1st meeting? Or just work it out here or by email? I know I don't want to spend a lot of time online though. (Being online becomes a great procrastination technique for my writing. :wink:) My goal for this is to have people that I am accountable to for getting things accomplished on a daily basis--and to be able to support others back in the same way. (On my own I tend to slack off too much & I can't afford to let that happen anymore.) I'm ready to get the ball rolling here & keep moving forward in my life! Thanks! Sierra
Sierra
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Meeting logistics

Postby Gist » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:49 am

Thanks Sierra! Got your PM, sent a reply. I like your comments about how a support team can help a person get "unstuck." I've read Barbara's books, but I haven't heard her in person. This will be my first time in a group dedicated to encouraging each other, helping each other define our goals and move ahead. I've done that one on one, and online. Also haphazardly with friends. But never in a team dedicated to this approach. It's a new possibility for me and I'm really excited about it! If we make our plans on the public forum, that would give shy people a chance to drop in on our group. I'd prefer to meet on weekends. Best for me is Saturday, any time, up til about 7 pm. I like the idea of meeting at a place that has food or snacks. With this nice warm weather, I wonder if we can find a place with a smoke-free courtyard. A picnic table under the oak trees would be a delightful conference room! Silverlake would be fine with me, I'm not that familiar with it. In Pasadena, I think of Wolfe Burgers as a possible venue. Later if we like, we could take our own picnic to the park or beach, or accept Pitchersage's offer of hospitality. (I think a person's home address & phone shouldn't go on a public forum.)
Gist
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Gist » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:36 am

Sierra, we share interests in film and writing. My dream is to leave behind my 15+ year career in corporate software, and start a new creative career of freelance projects: music, A/V, photography, writing, etc. I love variety. I have good bursts of very productive energy, with down time between them. That would make me a good freelancer. I have some good training and experience in these areas, but until recently I also had a lot of emotional baggage interfering with my dreams. Turns out it's not even my baggage. It's someone else's lost luggage that they just dropped off in my mind. I've based my life around it, yet it didn't even matter much to them: they never came back to pick it up! :shock: I don't want to get stuck again with only one source of income... and that source being subject to office politics, or having to \"look busy.\" Or being told that I don't get to use the best techniques, because the \"corporate standard\" is to do more of the dumb mistakes that made the mess in the first place! I'd be willing to do some more software, if I could come in as an expert vendor who works on projects, mostly from home, rather than a full time cubicle dweller. Over the course of 2006, I want to transition into projects that express my personal point of view in an artistic, emotional way - telling stories in music, pictures, words, scenes. My immediate goal is to find some projects I can start right now for some money within a week a two. There are several things I see I could do, but I'm stuck on marketing & sales. I look forward to our meeting. I hope we can get started this weekend!
Gist
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Sierra » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:09 am

This all sounds great! Tomorrow's Saturday. I'm available. It's supposed to rain though... (I'm not keen on driving in the rain if I don't have to. :wink: ) I'll give you a call! What I found that works best is specific daily accomplishments--\"little steps\"--in order to work up to the \"bigger picture.\" \"Being accountable\" seems to make the difference though! Sierra :)
Sierra
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Gist » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:40 am

I'd be OK driving in the rain... I could come in to your downtown/USC area tomorrow, if there's a nice place to meet indoors. (Preferably with easy, free parking.)
Gist
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Sierra » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:36 pm

Great News!! For any & all who are interested: Gist & I have arranged a meeting tomorrow, Saturday Jan. 14th at 1 p.m. This will be at the food court in the mini-mall across the street from USC, corner of Hoover & Jefferson. (Hoover exit south off the 10 freeway.) Lots of free parking. Barbara Sher books (and other inspirational books too) on table. PM for more details & info if needed! Sierra
Sierra
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Sierra » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:25 am

LA people: Gist & I had a great first meeting yesterday! We got a lot clarified & sorted out about our goals/wishes/ideal dreams. We set up practical "to-do" lists for each of us for this coming week. (The best part is that I'm accountable now to someone else for getting things done that I've been putting off which need to be done. Some of them for a long time!) We plan to meet again next Saturday, same time, same place--both with an update to our progress, as well as setting up new "accountability lists" towards our goals for the following week. Please feel free to come join us! Sierra
Sierra
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby expatana » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:01 pm

You guys in L.A. -- would you consider communicating on a semi-regular basis with someone not yet there but who wants to get there for part of the year? I'm Ana, the girl who wants to live in Spain but for now will do it part time. I spent most of my adult life in Calif. and I miss my friends and my life. I'm currently stuck in Pa. with no money, and I'm looking for new friends and contacts. thanks so much, Ana
expatana
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Gist » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:40 am

Hi Ana, What part of California are you from? I haven't seen your other postings. Have you put something in "wishes and obstacles" about your wish to move but your lack of money? I don't understand your dream... do you want to live in Spain part time, California part time and Pennsylvania part time? I'm happy to talk with you, but I think you might get more people giving you ideas if you didn't limit your posts to our Los Angeles thread. Is there a way you could have a Success Team in person in PA? Face to face encouragement is best! If not, maybe there is some way our L.A. group could do a conference call. We could put you on a speaker phone. I did this a lot at some corporate jobs. Since I don't have a job like that now, I don't know where we could get a meeting room with a speaker phone. I also don't know if the others in L.A. would like that. They might prefer to limit meetings to people who are present in person.
Gist
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby expatana » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:26 am

Hi Gist, I lived in L.A. County, Van Nuys. My friends are from that area -- Sherman Oaks, Studio City, Thousand Oaks. I posted my original dream in Wishes and Obstacles a year ago: to have my principal residence in Spain. My "adjusted" ideal is to have eight months in California, four in Spain each year. Since I must be in the U.S. for now, it's California I want my eight-month home to be. The obstacle there is finding money to make the move from here, and lining up a good job for eight months out of the year. I figured on doing some phone conferences with a Team in L.A. This wouldn't have to be every meeting, since I know the teammates there might not like it. Maybe sometimes, we can chat. I do need more contacts there, as my friends don't know of any opportunities and I have no place to stay initially. I'd love a face-to-face Team here for now, but there's none available presently. I can't afford a formal Team with a leader. I've signed up for a regular virtual Team on that forum here, as well as one for entrepreneurs since that's what I'm going to be doing to get into Spain. Thanks for getting back to me, Ana
expatana
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Gist » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:07 pm

Next meeting: this Saturday, 1/21, 1 pm, at the International Food Court across the street from USC. On Jefferson (north edge of USC campus), between Vermont and Hoover, go back behind the Burger King. Food court entrance is around the next mall entrance towards Hoover. Look for the enthusiastic idea-sharers at a table with Barbara Sher books. Driving directions: use google maps to search for the intersection of Hoover and Jefferson, then at least double their expected drive time.
Gist
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Next

Return to Informal Success Teams