W: to join success team O: finding the right people

Find each other here and set up your own informal Success Teams. Registered leaders will visit and can be asked questions.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Great Info!

Postby Enigma » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:43 pm

Jim, I wanted to thank you for responding to my post. My plan: I am selling my business. Its a nice money maker, but I don't get up in the morning and look forward to the work it needs. I have one project that I am on the very cusp of finishing that will give me a nice income. Between the sale of the business and the money from the project I will have time (money) to set my \"sites\" on the internet. I like starting businesses and I think I can be creative enough to produce some very good niche-based businesses online. I also think I can be creative enough to drive people to these sites... This is where you're advice kicks in... and what great advice. I am learning at a very good clip, but I know there are other people like me who are starting online businesses. I definitely want a team of like-minded people... of course within the realm of entrepreneurship people wouldn't necessarily have to be solely online to be valuable to other members of the group. Now, I must admit that on the the Myers Briggs scale there are few people more introverted than myself. So the prospect of business socials gives me the heebeegeebees. This doesn't mean I am overly shy, it just means that I don't like meeting people. I am a good salesperson and I like people, but people really wear me out and fast. Now, I am a member of two very fine Chamber of Commerce's. I am sure that I can narrow the list of prospects down to a nice group of \"qualified leads\". That way I should have more success in building a small group without doing a lot of socializing or \"cold calling\"... in fact I have a few people in mind... great entrepreneurs too. I still like the idea of an online success group, but it from my brief experience it can be very difficult to bring people together. On the other hand I can see how a weekly meeting of the minds with a few people could facilitate improvement and learning. But like the online groups individual personalities will have to click, so it may take some uncomfortable meetings to refine the group.
Enigma
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Great Info!

Postby GuruNetworker » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:39 am

Creating an online business is a lot of hard work. Especially when yours is among millions of other websites on the Internet. To drive them to yours, I would suggest creating strategic alliances with other businesses. Have them put your link on their website, in their announcements, and newsletters. In return, you let people know about these businesses that are your sponsors. This is one way to drive them to your site. It all depends on what your group is all about. If you group is focused on helping other businesses, this would work great. If it is a group just to pass around referrals, than driving people to your website is not worth creating strategic partnerships. Creating Your Group Weekly meetings are ok. If you are dealing with business owners, maybe meeting bi-weekly or once a month would be better. Attendance would be better, plus owners get real busy and can't commit weekly. Also, is this group going to generate referrals between business owners? Are you creating a networking group? What size are you going to be? 10, 15, 20, 30 people? I teach people how to build their own business networking groups. From the many I have worked with, I see many fail due to lack of commitment, poor attendance, no participation, poor leadership, no structure, and no real focus. The Day and time of meeting is also important. Here is my suggestion. Pick a day and time that fits best for you. Create a name for the group. Have a focus on what the group is about. Set some goals. Create some accountability (what to do with people with poor attendance, members not following through, etc.). Create some titles/roles. An Organizer (the leader of the group). An assistant organizer if you are not available. Someone to take notes (minutes). And what other responsibilities the group will have. Get this documented. Then find those people. Don't get people out of desperation. It will take time to grow the group, but if you find those who you can work with, you will have a quality team of people which can last for years. Is this something to help your business? If so, find those people who are in your target market. These are the people who will get you the most referrals. These people will end up being your sales force. They will get to know you and your services and tell people about you and vice versa. I have created several successful networking groups and being organized, having a focus, and finding like people, you can really make things happen. Since you are leading this group, don't forget to delegate. DO NOT TAKE ALL THE RESPONSIBILITY. Work as a team. Delegate so you do not have to spend hours a day planning and preparing for your next meeting. This can suck the life out of you and others. Depending on what you want to accomplish, online groups may or may not work for you. If networking is involved, and there is referrals being passed, an online group will NOT work. Why? Its all about trust-relationships. Personally, I will not send you one of my customers. The reason...I have never met you, I don't know what you are all about, and this is my reputation on the line. This is my customer, my bread and butter. They rely on me for advice and I have a trust-relationship with them. Since you are a business owner, you know what I am talking about. Having a chat room and passing away your customers to the unknown void can cost you your clients and your reputation.
Enigma wrote:Jim, I wanted to thank you for responding to my post. My plan: I am selling my business. Its a nice money maker, but I don't get up in the morning and look forward to the work it needs. I have one project that I am on the very cusp of finishing that will give me a nice income. Between the sale of the business and the money from the project I will have time (money) to set my "sites" on the internet. I like starting businesses and I think I can be creative enough to produce some very good niche-based businesses online. I also think I can be creative enough to drive people to these sites... This is where you're advice kicks in... and what great advice. I am learning at a very good clip, but I know there are other people like me who are starting online businesses. I definitely want a team of like-minded people... of course within the realm of entrepreneurship people wouldn't necessarily have to be solely online to be valuable to other members of the group. Now, I must admit that on the the Myers Briggs scale there are few people more introverted than myself. So the prospect of business socials gives me the heebeegeebees. This doesn't mean I am overly shy, it just means that I don't like meeting people. I am a good salesperson and I like people, but people really wear me out and fast. Now, I am a member of two very fine Chamber of Commerce's. I am sure that I can narrow the list of prospects down to a nice group of "qualified leads". That way I should have more success in building a small group without doing a lot of socializing or "cold calling"... in fact I have a few people in mind... great entrepreneurs too. I still like the idea of an online success group, but it from my brief experience it can be very difficult to bring people together. On the other hand I can see how a weekly meeting of the minds with a few people could facilitate improvement and learning. But like the online groups individual personalities will have to click, so it may take some uncomfortable meetings to refine the group.
Every life has a path Take a chance Listen to your heart Step into the garden Plant a few seeds Leave a trail so others can follow - Guru Jim
GuruNetworker
New Poster
New Poster

Re: W: to join success team O: finding the right people

Postby happykat » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:25 pm

Enigma wrote:I am interested in joining or forming an entrepreneurial success team (or mastermind group) for the self employed. I just got finished reading NO BS Time Management for Entrepreneurs by Dan Kennedy, a book I would recommend for the most part. In it, as well as several other books I've read, there's always a lot of importance placed on mastermind groups/success groups. I've tried to find information on "online mastermind groups" but I cannot seem to find any. I joined one that was just a spam outlet. My obstacles are 1. I live in Delaware, far away from the rest of the world. The state is not listed in Barbara's Success Team lists. The closest I could find was about 3 hours away. 2. I really don't know anyone well enough to form a group locally. And the aquaintances I have are clients. I would feel really wierd asking them. 3. Are there several entrepreneurs here? Or would I have to look elsewhere. I like the idea of finding a group here because I really agree with a lot of Barbara Sher's philosophy. I think it would be of some benefit to have some similar beliefs, perhaps even some basic struggles that led us to Barbara in the first place. I would prefer an online group, if I cannot find anyone close to me. I am a little shy by nature, so I am more apt to give constructive criticism online than in person, and probably be more honest overall. Here's a list characterisitcs I would like the group to consist of: 1. Be online, like Yahoo groups. 2. Entrepreneurs/Self Employed 3. To be able to talk about business as well as personal struggles 4. A group that equates success to happiness in life before a fat piggy bank. (Doesn't have to be much before either, because I certainly define success, to some extent, by the amount of money I make, lol) 5. An interest in multiple streams of income 6. An interest in the internet and internet marketing What would be interesting is a website that matches up entrepreneurs to each other, like Match.com for the self employed. Each member of the success team would have different strengths, but also some similarity in business. A compatability profile via personality assessments. Something like this must exist somewhere. My profile might read something like: I have a small, one person business that has had its ups and downs. I am not online, but I feel that its an important medium in several ways. My goal is to set up a system of multiple streams of income via low-maintenance businesses. I love brainstorming. I am an idea a minute, but it can get me off course in a hurry. I am a strong starter but can have a lot of trouble following through. If I do manage to follow through I am a strong finisher. I am not very organized or disciplined but can work very hard. I am not motivated by stress, just the opposite normally. I am mostly motivated by the enthusiasm I have for the project and how much money I think it can make... and seeing my idea take shape and be successful. I am a self-help reader: B Sher, D. Kennedy, T. Robbins, Rich Dad Poor Dad guy etc., etc., etc. I am looking to improve my self-discipline using no psychological whips (this means I want to motivate myself with positive stimuli rather than putting myself into stressful positions in order to get myself to do what needs to be done). I VERY MUCH dislike busy work, mundane labor. I want to improve my time management. I want to improve my cash flow and eventually live off of assets. I am interested in Real Estate as a main investment with some future plans to own rental property geared towards businesses. I am also interested in writing down-loadable instruction manuals. I am OK in graphic design, I have a lot of experience in the printing business. I am creative. I am a little bit of a Jack of all trades type. Right now I develop very nice board games for local resort towns and I also have an information service in the hotels in these resorts. I make an honest living, but its not exactly doing much more than paying the bills. I am not exactly happy doing what I do, but I couldn't imagine going back to work for someone else. I would like to be a business factory and just churn out low-maintenance businesses. I like the idea of building my own little empire... Something like that, lol. If someone knows of a website like that please let me know. If not then I'd like to get semi-like minded entrepreneurs into an online success group. If you're not interested but have some info that would lead me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Thanks, Tom
Are you still interested in an online success team? Or, if you have already found one, are you happy to let me know about it?
happykat
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Online Success Team

Postby Enigma » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:27 pm

happykat, My success group is: my wife, one best friend and one good friend... Although my best friend (who lives about 1000 miles away) is going through a horrible divorce and huge financial problems and my wife is 3 months pregnant so the last thing she wants to do is talk about some business idea I have. My other friend (also about 1000 miles away) is actually a life coach, although we know each other by being fans of the same football team. I love the idea of a success team. I have skype ready to go. So, I'm interested.
Enigma
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Online Success Team

Postby happykat » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:59 pm

Enigma wrote:happykat, My success group is: my wife, one best friend and one good friend... Although my best friend (who lives about 1000 miles away) is going through a horrible divorce and huge financial problems and my wife is 3 months pregnant so the last thing she wants to do is talk about some business idea I have. My other friend (also about 1000 miles away) is actually a life coach, although we know each other by being fans of the same football team. I love the idea of a success team. I have skype ready to go. So, I'm interested.
I've never yet used skype, but will look into it:)
happykat
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby happykat » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:27 am

Enigma wrote:happykat, My success group is: my wife, one best friend and one good friend... Although my best friend (who lives about 1000 miles away) is going through a horrible divorce and huge financial problems and my wife is 3 months pregnant so the last thing she wants to do is talk about some business idea I have. My other friend (also about 1000 miles away) is actually a life coach, although we know each other by being fans of the same football team. I love the idea of a success team. I have skype ready to go. So, I'm interested.
I've now signed up with Skype. My username is happykatau. I am in Australia.
happykat
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby happykat » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:07 pm

Hi, I'm back. Are you still interested?
happykat
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Enigma » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:10 am

I am still interested... where did you wander off to? lol Give me a week to consider some options. Still have your Skype account? Tom
Enigma
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby happykat » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:19 am

I have the account but don't have a headset yet.
happykat
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby happykat » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:15 am

Anyone still interested? I now have a laptop computer: does that need a headset for Skype?
happykat
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Wolf Goddess » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:01 am

I see the last post here was a year ago. I am still looking for an online group. I don't Skype but I would love to find people willing to conference call and who have a private website. Something like ning, Social Go, TeamLab or whatever.

I am looking for right-brain creatives and entrepreneurs. If anyone has a strong dynamic group and is in need of a new person please let me know.

WG
You will never plow a field by turning it over in your mind.
Visit Zebracorn Art Journeys at www.zebracorn.com
Wolf Goddess
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Previous

Return to Informal Success Teams