W: to join success team O: finding the right people

Find each other here and set up your own informal Success Teams. Registered leaders will visit and can be asked questions.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

W: to join success team O: finding the right people

Postby Enigma » Thu May 18, 2006 12:24 am

I am interested in joining or forming an entrepreneurial success team (or mastermind group) for the self employed. I just got finished reading NO BS Time Management for Entrepreneurs by Dan Kennedy, a book I would recommend for the most part. In it, as well as several other books I've read, there's always a lot of importance placed on mastermind groups/success groups. I've tried to find information on "online mastermind groups" but I cannot seem to find any. I joined one that was just a spam outlet. My obstacles are 1. I live in Delaware, far away from the rest of the world. The state is not listed in Barbara's Success Team lists. The closest I could find was about 3 hours away. 2. I really don't know anyone well enough to form a group locally. And the aquaintances I have are clients. I would feel really wierd asking them. 3. Are there several entrepreneurs here? Or would I have to look elsewhere. I like the idea of finding a group here because I really agree with a lot of Barbara Sher's philosophy. I think it would be of some benefit to have some similar beliefs, perhaps even some basic struggles that led us to Barbara in the first place. I would prefer an online group, if I cannot find anyone close to me. I am a little shy by nature, so I am more apt to give constructive criticism online than in person, and probably be more honest overall. Here's a list characterisitcs I would like the group to consist of: 1. Be online, like Yahoo groups. 2. Entrepreneurs/Self Employed 3. To be able to talk about business as well as personal struggles 4. A group that equates success to happiness in life before a fat piggy bank. (Doesn't have to be much before either, because I certainly define success, to some extent, by the amount of money I make, lol) 5. An interest in multiple streams of income 6. An interest in the internet and internet marketing What would be interesting is a website that matches up entrepreneurs to each other, like Match.com for the self employed. Each member of the success team would have different strengths, but also some similarity in business. A compatability profile via personality assessments. Something like this must exist somewhere. My profile might read something like: I have a small, one person business that has had its ups and downs. I am not online, but I feel that its an important medium in several ways. My goal is to set up a system of multiple streams of income via low-maintenance businesses. I love brainstorming. I am an idea a minute, but it can get me off course in a hurry. I am a strong starter but can have a lot of trouble following through. If I do manage to follow through I am a strong finisher. I am not very organized or disciplined but can work very hard. I am not motivated by stress, just the opposite normally. I am mostly motivated by the enthusiasm I have for the project and how much money I think it can make... and seeing my idea take shape and be successful. I am a self-help reader: B Sher, D. Kennedy, T. Robbins, Rich Dad Poor Dad guy etc., etc., etc. I am looking to improve my self-discipline using no psychological whips (this means I want to motivate myself with positive stimuli rather than putting myself into stressful positions in order to get myself to do what needs to be done). I VERY MUCH dislike busy work, mundane labor. I want to improve my time management. I want to improve my cash flow and eventually live off of assets. I am interested in Real Estate as a main investment with some future plans to own rental property geared towards businesses. I am also interested in writing down-loadable instruction manuals. I am OK in graphic design, I have a lot of experience in the printing business. I am creative. I am a little bit of a Jack of all trades type. Right now I develop very nice board games for local resort towns and I also have an information service in the hotels in these resorts. I make an honest living, but its not exactly doing much more than paying the bills. I am not exactly happy doing what I do, but I couldn't imagine going back to work for someone else. I would like to be a business factory and just churn out low-maintenance businesses. I like the idea of building my own little empire... Something like that, lol. If someone knows of a website like that please let me know. If not then I'd like to get semi-like minded entrepreneurs into an online success group. If you're not interested but have some info that would lead me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Thanks, Tom
Enigma
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Fionna » Thu May 18, 2006 6:05 am

Tom, If you are interested we have an on line success team in this bb, it does not meet you list, but if you want a place to start for now you are welcome to join us. We can be found in Idea party, Thread - Come dream with us - success buddies. Good luck, F
Fionna
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby annasus » Thu May 18, 2006 9:26 am

What about a telephone group? You can 5 way calling, I'm sure of it? You'd have to pay, but, I can't imagine it being more than the cost of coffee at a Starbucks.
annasus
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Fionna » Sun May 21, 2006 11:12 am

A, What a great idea! I will look into it. I think I saw a post on the board on how to do this! F
Fionna
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby AMF » Mon May 22, 2006 1:56 pm

Hello, This is a great idea. I think it would be most beneficial in person, but online is fine too. Perhaps you can contact your local SBDC (Small Buisness Development Center). They may be able to send out a notice to their participants in Delaware. You may also want to try going to your local Adult Education schools. They may offer classes that entrepreneurs are interested something like, start your own business or something. Ask the teacher if you can make an announcement. Hand out a few flyers and be on your way. You may be able to get some interest that way. I don't know if your town has a blog, but if so, use that as a marketing tool. Give a date and time, and contact info. I have a human resource consulting business? Keep me posted on how things go or when you get it started. Make it a New Day
AMF
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Moonracer » Tue May 23, 2006 2:21 pm

Check into meetup.com. It's a long shot, but there just may be a group within driving distance. :)
Moonracer
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Thanks

Postby Enigma » Tue May 23, 2006 5:28 pm

Thanks everyone, Moonracer, I checked into meetup.com and although it did have some people within my driving range most of them (of the 4) signed up a couple of years ago. I'll probably sign up and just see what happens. AMF, I think online is fine too. In fact, it might be better. Personally, in a face to face group, I won't really discuss my ideas or offer suggestions. (Yes, I have issues and probably some social anxiety). Good grief in my town a \"blog\" is something you hit groundhogs over the head with, and nobody uses these newfangled things called com-pU-terrrs, except for Buck Rogers. But outside of this town there are places that date outside the family. (I swear to you, a few weeks ago there was a brother and sister shotgun wedding. Imagine the therapy it would take to straighten that mess out. The whole scenario just hurts my brain.) Anyway I could check some of the surrounding towns out, but I think I'm going to really research the on-line thing. I did start a Yahoo Group. If you're interested in seeing what I'd prefer group-wise you could visit it. http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/dkmasterminds/ annasus, A telephone group is an interesting idea, I'll file that away. Maybe an online group with a monthly telephone meeting. Fionna, Thank you for the invite. I'll check that out. I am an idea factory so you might get more than you bargained for. Plus I'm so far outside the box I can't find it to get back in it... I'm not sure there ever was one to begin with! Again, thanks to everyone. I always get great advice here.
Enigma
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Jane B » Thu May 25, 2006 11:01 pm

Enigma, I don't mean to discourage you, but from my experiences, online groups easily dwindle, and just don't provide the same level of accountability as "real" ones, where people meet face to face. It's a lot easier to fall behind when you're in a group where you can just check your messages whenever (not much of a step up from a discussion board like this one), rather than a group where you have to meet in person every week or so. Maybe others have had better experiences than I, but personally I believe that you will move forward a lot quicker with something more direct. I think the phone is already a step up; you have to schedule a time to check in with the other members every now and then. Another thought: you mentioned you feel shy about sharing your experiences in person. I believe that creating significant change inevitably involves facing one's fears and learning to tolerate discomfort. Perhaps that in itself could motivate you to seek a more direct approach. I hope I don't seem blunt or judgmental. I'm just speaking from my own experiences: had lousy luck with online groups and wonderful results with a face-to-face one (and even that one eventually dwindled). Perhaps you'll find a way to get around the problems I faced, but I just wanted to point out the challenges of working with an onlinge group and keeping it active. Just my two cents. Good luck with everything. Jane
Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Fionna » Fri May 26, 2006 12:12 pm

Fiona here - I love outside the box. It is a lot less crowded and more fun. I look forward to hearing your ideas. F
Fionna
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby katchal » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:23 pm

I think you could be making a big mistake by only seeking people who are like you in the success team - entrepreneurs. Our success team is very diverse - a coach, a writer, an entrepreneur, a professor, a filmmaker, and a bird expert. That diversity of backgrounds and interests is one of the things that makes our team incredibly powerful. We don't all have the same set of contacts, ideas or knowledge so we can offer each other unique perspectives and fresh ways of looking at situations and problems. Plus, in a remote area it's a lot easier to find enough people for a team if dreaming big dreams and being willing to help each other are the only criteria.
katchal
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby AMF » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:17 pm

Hello, As an entrepreneur, I can say that the diversity will come with the types of businesses that are represented. Every entrepreneur has a different reason for being such, some are great at sales, others are shy, we aren't lacking in diversity. Also, when money is low, talking to a non-entrepreneur can be devastating, typically they will always say, "why don't you get a job." We won't get a job because we choose to be entrepreneurs with all it's splendor and pain, ups and downs. Tom, I'll check you out on yahoo. You may want to set up a conference call with a close friend that is an entrepreneur. That's what I'm doing, and it is very helpful. She is an attorney and I have an Training and Consulting business, but we hold each other accountable. Okay, that's my two cents. Adrienne
AMF
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Alexia » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:57 pm

Enigma, I have to admit that I've always done better with on-line groups. "Success" groups of different kinds, based in towns and cities, seem to fold very quickly. There's too much militating against them, I guess. People who join these things are busy and ambitious, their lives are rushed, they're juggling work, family, other commitments, they have transport problems, and they just don't get to meetings at a set venue at a certain time. When they do, unless the topic of the meeting immediately clicks with them, meets some need, they're up and away. Personalities come into it too: fur gets rubbed the wrong way, people "don't understand", the level of the discussion isn't right for them, etc and etc. All this I've seen and heard over the years, and it's made me sceptical about physical groups. On-line obviously has some disadvantages, but I think the advantages outweigh them. You're dealing with people who are on-line at a time/place convenient to them, and they're able to give time and thought to whatever is being discussed. In many ways it's a better environment for promoting achievement. In your situation, I would think having your own on-line group and some other one-on-one email relationships would go a long way towards meeting your needs. Alexia.
Alexia
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Thanks

Postby Enigma » Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:31 am

Jane B - There's a free service called Skype that allows you to talk member to member free and it seems like there is a conference capability. Maybe a weekly phone meeting would work. Facing my fears... sometimes I do things that are pretty brave and other times I just don't get over the fear hurdle. I know I have Social Anxiety Disorder, its been pretty bad since I was a child. Its an old stubborn fear that I've been fighting for a while. It can be treated, but I'm wondering if a public speaking course like Dale Carnegie wouldn't be a better way to go. Fionna - I joined an entrepreneur group and started one too. I did get a chance to browse through the Idea Party a while ago and it is very cool what you've got going on there, but the groups I am in now are very specific. I'll bookmark your Thread and if I think I can add anything I will, if that's OK. Thank you. Katchal - There's plenty of diversity in a group of entrepreneurs, but I understand what you are saying. Small business owners however diverse still have many of the same obstacles. I think that's when it helps to have that similarity. Adrienne - Its funny but one of my best friends is a lawyer and we always talk about business... but we don't hold each other accountable. We do bounce ideas off each other and sometimes its just good (or not so good) to hear your ideas out loud. Alexia - I am with you... actually its like we have the same exact opinion on this subject. Thank you for your encouragement. By the way, I went to your website and I truly admire what you're doing. What a fascinating and wonderful way of life. Thanks again to all! Tom
Enigma
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Fionna » Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:34 pm

Enigma, Love to hear from you. F
Fionna
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Finding Your Connections

Postby GuruNetworker » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:43 pm

Tom, When I first started out, it was real difficult to find the information about becoming an entrepreneur. Where do these people hang out? Is there any groups in my area? I did not find what I was looking for so I started my own group and its main focus is \"Entrepreneurs Helping Entrepreneurs\". I went out to find those like myself and connected with them. The KEY is to find others like yourself. Those hungering for information. Those wanting to be successful. Those who \"Get It!\" I would suggest calling the SBA (Small Business Administration). Ask them if there are any business socials in your area or any business networking groups. Also call SCORE (Service Core of Retired Executives - SCORE.org). They are a free service to help entrepreneurs nation wide. Ask them the same question again - is there any business events or networking groups in my area? You can also call the local chamber of commerce. They are also hooked up with many local businesses, big and small. Get a list of their members (sometimes they have a free book listing businesses in their area) and go visit them. Have a conversation with a business owner and tell them you are an entrepreneur and that you are looking for some events or groups in the area to visit. They will definitely be a good source of information. If they turn you away, they don't have that entrepreneurial spirit. They may have lost it or they never had it. Go out and find another. Just don't give up. You will definitely find others like yourself if you try all of these. This is how I got started. No one was offering a service to teach entrepreneurs the basics, so I started my own. I would suggest creating a name that reflects what you want to do and if possible, add a location to it. For example: Boston Professional Networkers, or St. Louis Think Tank Team, etc. I admit these are lame names, but I hope you get the point. To help folks and myself, I go out and find professional speakers on topics that will help our local business owners. Over the years its membership has grown to over 500. How did I find these people? I just asked. Walk into a small business and ask for the owner. Go out to these events, get those people business cards and arrange to have coffee with them at a cafe a few days later. Just pick their minds. They are most willing to help you out. If not, these are the people you don't want to create a relationship with anyways. I preach to many to all to go out and get some face time with others. I don't believe in the online chatting to get all my information. Get the street smarts and go out and socialize. That's how you will be creating those trust-relationships with others. That's where you will find those entrepreneurial hearts like yourself. If you can't find anything. Go out and create your own group and grow it yourself. Jim
GuruNetworker
New Poster
New Poster

Next

Return to Informal Success Teams