A European, English-speaking success team

Find each other here and set up your own informal Success Teams. Registered leaders will visit and can be asked questions.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Which continent do you spend most time on?

Asia
No votes
Africa
No votes
Australasia
11%
Europe
67%
South America
No votes
North America
22%
Antarctica
No votes
At Sea or in Outer Space
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes : 18

A European, English-speaking success team

Postby skannie » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:33 am

Hi everyone. I’d love to hear from any board members in Europe interested in joining an informal success team or network that would use English as the main language. It would suit both native speakers of English and those who like to use it as the language of international communication. It looks as if many European countries don’t yet have enough Sher-boarders to form national teams, and it can feel quite isolated over here, so maybe an international one is the way to go. But I don’t want to take people away from groups that are already active. I’ve been in contact with Tatjana Marie from Austria and Andreya from Slovenia, so we have the beginnings of a team already. I’m thinking of setting up a private forum on my spare webspace for us to use, or maybe even a website if people want one. We could call each other for free using Skype, (one-to-one or conference calls), and maybe arrange some meetings or joint trips now and again. Any other ideas are welcome. People from all parts of Europe can join us, and I think Turkey could be included as it has applied to join the EU. I’m in Central Europe now, but often spend time in Ireland and Britain where I’d like to meet up with people. If clusters of people develop in particular regions, they might want to form subgroups. I’d really like to keep things flexible and just see where it goes. Hoping to hear from some of you, especially fellow scanners Skannie
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Scanner Tribe Group on Facebook
Scanner Tribe group on LinkedIn
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:37 am

Hi Skannie It will be an interesting venture for you.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby skannie » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:10 pm

Hi Urszula Yes it will be interesting. Would you like to join us, or drop in now and again to give us the benefit of your wisdom? Cheers Skannie
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:11 pm

Hi Skannie, I don't think I'm in need of one, although I don't really know how they compare to just using the boards - so you can explain not just for me but others that may be wondering too.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Andreya » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:05 pm

Hi Skannie and Urszula! Nice to see this being discussed! For me, the biggest part of being in an informal Success Team already (online, we have a 'friends only' Livejournal 'community' blog and some e-mail contact, with a couple of Australians and Americans) has been in increased accountability - you report to the group with goals and progress on them, so I took my goals and making progress more seriously, I also love the increased personal contact, encouragement, support... As we live in different time-zones we haven't 'talked' live yet. Also, one member is 'bi-continental' with times of no broadband internet connection, and busy setting up a business, and posts only occasionally. It was supposed to be 1x a week, but we're quite flexible, so sometimes there is more and sometimes less written contact. These boards are great for ideas and brainstorming, but sometimes more personal contact is great too. Our Success Team is a bit more private, so more can be discussed. Barbara Sher describes Success Teams well in 'Wishcraft' - in case you haven't read it yet, it's free online. A specialized Success Team for 'Central Europe' could mean increased personal contact, we're all in the EU and some things are different in EU than elsewhere in the world... so we could share specific experience and advice.
Andreya
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Tatjana-Marie » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:12 pm

Hi, Annie, thanks for launching this thread! :D Count me in! Warmly, Tatjana
Tatjana-Marie
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Unity » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:32 am

At the moment my goals are just physical activities and organising so I don't need anything more than my steps thread and that's made a huge difference in achieving things already. So I'll pass this time, thanks for the explanation.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby skannie » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:30 am

Thankyou all for responding :D This is only the second time I’ve started a thread of my own, and I started the first one about my new blog just the day before this one. So I’ve been taking some good steps recently. I think Andreya has explained the advantages of a European success team very well: the possibility of more personal contact, the shared knowledge of life in Europe and the resources available here, the greater privacy, the similar time zone. These boards and the people here are great. I’ve been tempted to join in the steps with you, Urszula, it looks very effective, but I don’t think it’s quite what I need at the moment. I’m an independent type of person, and I like doing things on my own, but I do feel the need for contact with people to have conversations with, bounce ideas off and sometimes make plans with. It gives me energy and motivation. With a more local team you have the possibility of hearing people’s voices, and maybe actually meeting them some time and doing things together. That’s something I want. I don’t really know how it will compare with using the boards because I haven’t done it before. I don’t like rigid structures, and I don’t necessarily want to be seen as the leader. I hope other members will contribute their ideas and energy too. Whatever emerges, I don’t know how closely it will fit with Barbara’s concept of a success team, but I hope it will evolve into something beneficial to us all. Why do we need an English speaking group when there are already some forums in other major European languages? I live at the border of three very different language communities, German (in Austria), Hungarian and Slovak (part of the large Slavic language group). A bit further away, in among all the Slavs, there is Romanian which is a Latin language, and then further south Albanian and Greek, further east Turkish, and I musn’t forget Romani, the language of the Roma people. You’ll find many others if you go in different directions. Some of them also use totally different alphabets. Yet in spite of all the language differences there are geographic, political, historical and cultural connections between the countries of Europe. And I’ve discovered that when Europeans get together they usually use English for communication e.g. at a recent conference involving Austria, Slovakia, The Czech Republic and Hungary. When I have something online I’ll give everyone here a password to access it. Even you Urszula, in case you feel like coming along now and again to see what we’re up to. Andreya, do you think LiveJournal works well for this purpose? What are its features? I see some advantages in using a service like that, rather than setting something up myself, but I think it might be less adaptable. It would be nice to have a European forum here too. I wonder would Barbara and the webmaster organise it. It might help to attract more members from Europe. Best wishes Skannie
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:18 am

I'd like to see what you are up to, and I've never been part of a success team so if you don't mind me just popping in then thanks.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby skannie » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:38 pm

Hi Tatjana, Andreya, Urszula and anyone else who's interested. I haven't made much progress with the European success team forum yet. I've tried three different kinds of forum software, phpbb like Barbara uses, punbb, and Vanilla, but none of them seem to be able to do exactly what I want with registrations. I've decided to only invite active members of the B Sher boards to join it. That ensures that they know what it's all about, and I know they are genuine people who will contribute and not cause any problems (e.g. spam or trolling). Therefore I want to disable the facility for people to register themselves, and register all members directly through the admin panel. I thought it would be easy but it doesn't look as if it's possible with any of them. The best I have so far is self registration with activation by the admin. Maybe that will do, but I'm going to research a bit more. In the meantime, it would be good if we could communicate another way. Do you all have Skype? If not I recommend you to go to http://www.skype.com, download it and install it. You only need the free bit. Click where it says "download skype". Then ideally you'll get headsets and plug them in to your computers, so we can call each other free, and also have conference calls (and video calls if you have a webcam). But even if you don't all have headsets yet, we can use Skype for chatting and sending files to each other. The cheapest type of headset is fine. Theoretially you can use a separate mic and your computer speakers, but a friend tried it and it caused a terrible echo at my end. If you already have a mic you could try it out that way first. If your computer doesn't have separate line-in and microphone sockets, you might have to change some settings or use a USB headset. Ask me if you need any more info. I hope you all had a good Easter Skannie
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sceptique » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:31 pm

If you guys are still interested to carry on with this, I'm in. I live in England.
sceptique
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby skannie » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:57 am

Hi Sceptique Yes I'm still working on it but was too busy during the summer to do much. If I get a few more slack days I should have it up and running, at least in a trial version, very soon. You'll be welcome to join us. Best wishes skannie
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby expatana » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:50 pm

I've been somewhat out of the loop ... but I'm back and this dedicated Europhile wants in! ;-) Am I permitted even though I'm still in the States? Ana
expatana
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby skannie » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:15 pm

Hi Ana Yes I was thinking of inviting you. Got some urgent editing work to do for the next few days (it's always urgent with this particular company) so I won't be able to do much with it just yet. I shouldn't be even looking at this board now. But I already have a domain name and the beginnings of a site there. I'm using Joomla CMS software with a Fireboard forum, and maybe Community Builder too, if anyone's interested. They are all free and open source. skannie
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby expatana » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:42 pm

I'm interested! Just tell us how to get the software and how to get in. No hurry. I'm ready when anyone else is. Ana
expatana
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Informal Success Teams