A European, English-speaking success team

Find each other here and set up your own informal Success Teams. Registered leaders will visit and can be asked questions.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Which continent do you spend most time on?

Asia
No votes
Africa
No votes
Australasia
11%
Europe
67%
South America
No votes
North America
22%
Antarctica
No votes
At Sea or in Outer Space
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes : 18

Re: A European, English-speaking success team

Postby expatana » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:53 am

Hey Donna! I saw your previous post and was going to write to you privately anyway (and may still, if you don't mind PMs). All my life I've been intrigued by the UK, being of Brit-German heritage. So England has been high on my list of desirable possibilities. What makes you think your visa won't be renewed? And how did you get one in the first place? Usually, the first visa is the hardest to get, at least in European countries. There are a couple of sites dedicated to Spain, mostly catering for British residents. I've been through just about all the sites about Spain or working in Spain, and I've kept up through the years with the requirements. There are no sites I know of for Americans living there. I have a strong feeling the reason is that there'd be little market for one because of the difficulty of getting in. There are, of course, thousands of Americans living legally there (and a few thousand more illegally). All the legal ones fit under these few categories: married to Spaniards or other Europeans; executives working as "country managers": a few high-level marketing or IT types; those in shortage fields like medicine; diplomatic personnel; military; spouses and children of all of the above; and those who got in before Spain joined the EU. There is literally a handful of exceptions, very lucky people who managed to get sponsored. Amnesties are sometimes held in Spain where the govt will accept reasonable sponsorships from employers. The last one was in '01, I believe. The big catch during the amnesty is that you have to have already lived there 6 months and an employer has to be willing, something most of the English schools won't do because it saves them money to just pay you under the table. There is one established English school in Madrid that still sometimes sponsors, as they're the only American school left there, and up until very recently the govt has accepted their people. But I was never able to apply because they required a TEFL certificate which I never got around to getting. I was either stuck in Japan or didn't have the money. Ok, that's it about me. Tell us about yourself while we look around for a virtual home for our Team or Skannie comes back, whichever comes first . :) I do tend to write in detail, but you know sometimes that helps in a Team environment because the more we know, maybe the more we can help.
expatana
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby DJCNOR » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:17 am

I don't mind PMs at all. In fact, that's probably the best way to share why we may not get our Visas renewed, since part of it involves problems my husband has had. The short version is that we got here because they wanted social workers and he was and is one, but now can't work in the field in the UK due to a sizeable injustice. Also, they are now requiring foreigners to have considerable income that we don't have. You're quite far away now, but if you're planning a trip to Europe, you might want to schedule a week at Pueblo Ingles. That organization has resort-type facilities that it uses to provide English experience to Spanish (and maybe some other countries-I seem to remember one location in Italy but I may be wrong) business people. Their way of doing that is providing free accomodation and board to native English speakers who commit to spending a good deal of their time conversing with the "students" in person or on the phone. It might well be a way to gain contacts in Spain that might be useful for you. Skannie's on twitter a lot lately. Do you tweet? I'm djcnorwich there. Donna
DJCNOR
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby happykat » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:11 am

deleted
Last edited by happykat on Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
happykat
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby skannie » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:56 pm

Hi everyone. Donna's right. I've been spending more time on Twitter and Facebook than here recently. A while ago I nearly had the site ready for the European team, but then they updated the main software without updating the plugins so it didn't work properly any more. And since then I've been busy doing other things as you can see from the links in my signature. I now have a Scanner Tribe website and blog, and a Scanner Tribe group on Facebook that has quite a few European members. You're all welcome to join it. There's also a lively bunch of scanners from all over on Twitter, including Barbara Sher herself. Twitter idea parties happen every Thursday between noon and midnight New York time. Sometimes they fade away before 12 hours are up, and other times they spill over into the small hours of the morning, or break out unexpectedly on different days. You can come with a wish and obstacle or brainstorm ideas for other people.
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Scanner Tribe Group on Facebook
Scanner Tribe group on LinkedIn
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Informal Success Teams