resistance and procrastination group

Find each other here and set up your own informal Success Teams. Registered leaders will visit and can be asked questions.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

resistance and procrastination group

Postby noblerogue » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:47 pm

Hi all, I had the fun of attending a teleconference with Barbara Tuesday night for Procrastination and Resistance. During that time she demonstrated just one of her many tools for dealing with resistance and procrastination -- the 'jet clarity' process found in I Could Do Anything If Only I Knew What It Was. I hope it's OK that I say that Barbara mentioned that she hasn't yet figured out how to teach the use of her 'tools', except by demonstration. As the call ended, a few there spoke of wishing to follow up on this in some way -- maybe creating a group that could try using the tools with each other, maybe there might even appear those that can help teach some of these skills, or exercises. One aspect that became clear to many was that it was more challenging to attempt the skills on one's own. So, I'd like to see something that would help me to become more proficient in selecting and using the many tools that Barbara offers to help move past resistance. And I have the larger wish of possibly coming up with something that might help others to learn and practice these tools -- that as yet unfound way to teach these skills. So, here's a thread to open the door to possibilities. I've noticed one group here started a google group. But before taking that on, I'd like a clearer idea of if there are others interested, and what direction they might want to go -- what the mission statement of the group might be, so to speak. So, I ask those who respond to offer thoughts of what they would like to see unfold from this process. Thank you to Barbara, and thank you to all who read this, and thank you very much to those who respond. Frederick
Last edited by noblerogue on Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
noblerogue
New User
New User

Re: resistance and procrastination goup

Postby Maree » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:13 am

Hi Frederick, Sorry to have taken so long to reply to your post. I had great success with the process by sitting and writing it out - what I want to do, imagining doing it in great detail until I hit THAT feeling, and then asking myself "how old am I now?". I connected with a forgotten childhood experience and ended up feeling more free than I ever have around my desires. Putting pen to paper is a great way of working through this process (for me). I'm happy to continue contact through this forum. Maree
Maree
New User
New User

Re: resistance and procrastination goup

Postby summerbreeze » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:05 am

Hello to All! Yes I am very interested in this type of group. Glad to support others and eager for some kind of structured group setting for dealing with resistance! I think many of us need some kind of non-judgemental peer group - or online forum - where we can talk about our fears that are holding us back - without being criticised - and figure out how to carry on anyway. Would love to join! summerbreeze
summerbreeze
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: resistance and procrastination group

Postby noblerogue » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:14 pm

Hi Maree and summerbreeze, My apologies for a slow response. I still look forward to creating something here, even if it is a bit clumsy at first. One thing I'm finding is that this forum doesn't seem to alert me (or others?) when there is a new post? Right now, my thoughts are to connect in some other manner. I'm thinking a web group that folks would be welcome to join, but a bit less public in the intial stages. Also, there are a couple of folks that were on the original call that I've been in contact with through email and I'd like to get everyone together on the same page. So, I shall set up the group and then post the page to be invited here. Again, I have two goals: One is to amplify on not only the "jet clear" process, but others found in Barbara's works. And by amplify, I mean that there might be others, like me, who have resistance in doing the exercises alone, or who find that the process works better speaking out loud to someone else... and figuring out ways to offer support for such folks. The other is, in offering the support, that I might learn ways to teach these exercises to others. Thank you all, for your patience, Frederick
noblerogue
New User
New User

Postby flibbertigibbet » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:34 pm

Count me in too, with a problem like procrastination and resistance, youre in a catch 22 when presented with exercises to help with it!! It helps to connect with other people on it: Ive found it immensly helpful just to read other people's specific personal experiences with Barbaras theories and experiences. Looking forward to it! :)
flibbertigibbet
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby An8el » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:46 am

If you want to be alerted about a new post - you have to check a box when you write the post (the checkbox is all the way down past the "submit" button on the left.) Why not do it here - right in this thread? Ah oh, then no more resistance and procrastination. :? ...as long as we're merely getting a survey, we're not REALLY doing anything about it - yet. Anyway - I started a new thread over on the part of the "Deep & Shallow Discussions" forum with the title "How does resistance work for you?" or something like that... C'mon over there and describe your demons and whatever or however you've figured out how to cope with them so far... even if it's merely to give in and procrastinate. We can try some of Barbara's exercises and comment on how they work and what comes up for us. I went first already; please don't let me be the lone totem pole!
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby summerbreeze » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:03 am

Hi All! Is this where the resistance thread is located? or over on another board? Thanks summerbreeze
summerbreeze
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby An8el » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:09 am

Well, we could also do it here, but I started a thread called "What's Resistance Like For You?" over on "Deep & Shallow Discussions" at http://www.barbarasher.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=21988 Mannix has also started a thread in the same location called "Let Your Resistance Speak Here" that's turning out to be a little like the Bitch-books that Barbara Sher describes in Wishcraft as a "Hard Times" notebook. http://www.barbarasher.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=21707 So far, it seems on that thread we're looking at deeper patterns that are stopping us from doing what we want to do that operate over longer time frames. We're noting these bigger resistant patterns as they operate in our life day-by-day. Describing them and watching how they manifest in our very fresh day-to-day attempts to do things for ourselves so far has been very interesting. Just because we can describe them, doesn't mean that we can get past them! Perhaps Barbara could come up with some new exercises for us once we've reported on the ones she already has outlined? So far, we all seem to be curious about that and so far are very encouraging with each other.
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby happykat » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:34 pm

noblerogue wrote:Hi all, I had the fun of attending a teleconference with Barbara Tuesday night for Procrastination and Resistance. During that time she demonstrated just one of her many tools for dealing with resistance and procrastination -- the 'jet clarity' process found in I Could Do Anything If Only I Knew What It Was. I hope it's OK that I say that Barbara mentioned that she hasn't yet figured out how to teach the use of her 'tools', except by demonstration. As the call ended, a few there spoke of wishing to follow up on this in some way -- maybe creating a group that could try using the tools with each other, maybe there might even appear those that can help teach some of these skills, or exercises. One aspect that became clear to many was that it was more challenging to attempt the skills on one's own. So, I'd like to see something that would help me to become more proficient in selecting and using the many tools that Barbara offers to help move past resistance. And I have the larger wish of possibly coming up with something that might help others to learn and practice these tools -- that as yet unfound way to teach these skills. So, here's a thread to open the door to possibilities. I've noticed one group here started a google group. But before taking that on, I'd like a clearer idea of if there are others interested, and what direction they might want to go -- what the mission statement of the group might be, so to speak. So, I ask those who respond to offer thoughts of what they would like to see unfold from this process. Thank you to Barbara, and thank you to all who read this, and thank you very much to those who respond. Frederick
I've just discovered this thread? Did any of you here get a group up an running? Is it still going?
happykat
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Return to Informal Success Teams