Procrastination/Fear/Resitance/Support Group Online

Find each other here and set up your own informal Success Teams. Registered leaders will visit and can be asked questions.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Procrastination/Fear/Resitance/Support Group Online

Postby Reality19 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:17 pm

I would love to network with people online to support one another in career/dream goals who are dealing with these issues. Offering support, ideas, accountability to one another. Perhaps through emails?
Reality19
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: Procrastination/Fear/Resitance/Support Group Online

Postby mikeisjoyous » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:23 am

I am game. I subscribed to Barbara's daily emails for a year. I would love to share what is happening with me and listen to what is happening with you. Mike
mikeisjoyous
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby LalithaN » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:44 am

Hi Reality and Mikeisjoyous!
I have become an expert in procrastinating, as I have been doing it for years. But I want to regain my old self, which was active and splendid. so I want to join here.
But why emails? Why can't we post here itself?
LalithaN
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:40 pm

Good question, LalithaN! This message board seems like a great venue!
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby LalithaN » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:43 am

Hi Squarepeg,
Thank you for the support. But there had been no response from those who started the thread. I think they are continuing through emails.
One good thing that happened after I wrote that post was I started my sewing today after months of neglect. I'm so happy about that, but a little worried that this bout of enthusiasm should continue.
LalithaN
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby mikeisjoyous » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:55 am

I would be glad to post here, but I believe some communication is better done one to one. Towards that end, my email add
ress (moderator: personal email address removed)

I should add my real first name is Mike.

My first issue today is going for a biopsy on a couple of hours. They will 1 or 2 very small holes in my neck to get samples of my thyroid gland which has been growing the last few months. A week or 2 from now, I will see a surgeon who will tell me if it is cancerous or not.

I would like to check out possible writing work
while I wait. But I don't feel like doing anything except bask in self-pity.

Any suggestions?
Mike
PS: I would appreciate if you folks would sign your posts with real first names. It feels more warm, more friendlym
mikeisjoyous
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby mikeisjoyous » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:09 am

I forgot: I don't want pity. I do too much of that to myself.
I don't want good wishes.
I don't want ideas about how to feel better.
What I do want is for someone to look at experiences of his or her own, and share what you find.
Would that be ok, do you think?
Mike
mikeisjoyous
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby mikeisjoyous » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:27 pm

I was thinking about Victor Frankl. He had a terrible time at a Nazi concentration camp. He found there was always some level of choice he could act upon. My life, though bad, is not nearly as bad as Frankl's. So why don't I hunt for such choice as I have to help myself again and again?
mikeisjoyous
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby LalithaN » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:28 pm

mikeisjoyous wrote:I forgot: I don't want pity. I do too much of that to myself.
I don't want good wishes.
I don't want ideas about how to feel better.
What I do want is for someone to look at experiences of his or her own, and share what you find.
Would that be ok, do you think?
Mike

Hi Mike,
We are strangers and I even don't know why I write this. Something in your posts ticked me to share my experiences.
There are some moments in life where everything is dark and you are scared to your bones and you have to grope through that dark with fear, anxiety, weariness and some hope. You will be ever haunted by the question, 'Of all the people, why me?' .

Everybody has to go through this phase at some point in life. There is no real comfort or solace to this phase. Many go through and come out with the help of Religion, Social Service, Relationship, Workaholicness. Some seek the help of drugs, envy and hatred. These are all just a holding hand. But you, only you have to walk through it. For you it is a biopsy test. For me it is something else. But everybody at some point will feel alone, terribly alone with a formidable task in hand.

But we all have done this before, just we don't remember it. When the first self awareness strikes, we are comfortably settled in our Mom's womb. We need not search for food,even we don't even need to breathe. Mom's body will take care of everything. After 10 months of heavy luxury, one day we are suddenly kicked out of the Paradise headlong through a tight dark tunnel.Would we survive this choking tunnel? Is that the end of suffering? No. We arrive to an alien place where light pierces the eyes, wind blows through the skin and sounds beat in the ears and above all we have to breathe for ourselves and use our mouth to appease our hunger. No comfort walls to protect and cover us. We were so small and defenceless, but we came out of that crisis successfully.

If we can do that without any defence then, why can't we do it now? Along with our intellect our fear also has grown. Search your arsenal. There would be weapons suitable for this fight.
In this arena, there is no flight, only fight is there for survival. Whether you want to survive or not, it is your choice. This is my own experience. For your information, I very much wanted to wallow in self pity and cryout 'Life is UNFAIR'. But nobody came on a white horse to save me. I have to struggle through my path, how much I don't like it. I'm my own saviour and I'm proud of it. What about you?
LalithaN
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:12 pm

LalithaN, that was very powerful and motivating! Thank you for sharing!

Ummm...

Well, for starters, I am unabashedly a coward, which is why I hide behind the pseudonym of SquarePeg (or lately SquarePeg Guy, abbrev. SPG, because I think it's important in some venues to not pretend that I'm female.) But I've been online since 25 years ago when forums were hosted on message boards. Back then it was standard practice to remain anonymous. And for good reason. Anyone and everyone could (and today can) read what you write, without you even being aware of it. It was a bad idea to use real names, and foolish to include contact info, even today, which is why the moderator (in an act of kindness) removed it from your post.

"Procrastination/Fear/Resitance/Support Group Online" seems geared toward those who want to accomplish something and can't seem to get started or get past some internal obstacle.

My situation is different in that I am satisfied to merely survive each day without going bankrupt or collapsing from exhaustion or going completely bonkers. The obstacles I encounter all are external.

Even just to make an appointment to see a doctor or dentist is too challenging, and yet I somehow managed yesterday to switch to a different sleep doctor in the same practice as my previous doctor who left the area in April. This after requesting a call back from a different practice over two weeks ago and getting nothing, and getting nothing but busy signals or waiting on hold for dozens of minutes and also finding no other suitable doctors within 15 miles. I was almost ready to contact an out-of-state practice, except that their online portal was completely non-functioning (and the website has at least one spelling error.)
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mikeisjoyous » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:32 pm

First, hi LalithaN. It's interesting to me when you talk about the challenge of being born. My mom had a hysterectomy when she had me. I guess I failed that challenge:( I once created my own rebirthing exercise. It felt very powerful to me, but I did not change my bad behaviors afterwards Come to think of it, I tried many different psychological methods, but I never changed my behavior. Looking back, I think I saw my not changing as a sign of strength, of invulnerability...sigh

Square Peg, now I got to look at your post again.
Mike
mikeisjoyous
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby mikeisjoyous » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:56 pm

Hi Square Peg, first off amigo, what is your real first name!I really really doubt that anyone could use your first name alone against you. If you included your last name, yes--given the search capabilities of Internet software nowadays. But first name, unless you hav a very very unusual one, it just wouldn't happen.

About the sleep doctor, do happen to live where there is a Kaiser Permanente? I do want n Southern California. Ivhave sleep issues My personal doctor had me tested and a sleep clinic. I now wear a mask over my nose. A machine pumps air into my nose. That also had a problem because of my nose being clogged up. I foundmm metazoline at the 99 cent store helped that. A different doctor at Kaiser registeted me for a sleep class, which I will attend. Kaiser is pretty cool, and n my experience
I am really sorry for your problems with medical cal bureaucracy:( I have had my problems with the unemployment folks. They have made a number of mistakes, for which they never take responsibility:(
mikeisjoyous
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby mikeisjoyous » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:09 pm

Square Peg, I am a coward when it comes to putting my ideas in action. Not intellectually, though. When it comes to philosophy or psychology, I have no barriers. When it's an issue of approaching a pretty girl, I tend to run away:(
mikeisjoyous
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:10 pm

You can call me, Guy, Dear Sir.

I've had the sleep study, and I've used a CPAP machine since 2006. But I'm sure there's something more to my sleep issues than Apnea. And it's vital to have prescriptions and proper documentation so that insurance won't deny coverage for supplies and the CPAP machine itself. I hope you keep follow up appointments with a sleep doctor. Otherwise, if your machine needs replacing, you might just have to pay cash for it like I did, no matter what level of insurance you have!

I also see a Naturopathic doctor regularly. She has helped me clear up other issues, such as obesity, mental fatigue, and the extreme nasal congestion in just one nostril. I learned, for example, that making minor changes in eating method can produce amazing results. These changes include chewing food more thoroughly (and thereby eating more slowly), avoiding certain food combinations that hinder enzyme activity and not drinking during meals. These topics all will be discussed in my upcoming book, "The Who, What, When. Where, How and Why of Eating -- The Mindful Approach to Living" (working title).

The only Kaisers I'm familiar with are Wilhelm (whom I've not met) and those nasty dry rolls that some people like to make sandwiches with.

These days, it seems running away from pretty girls is the only politically correct option available. :)
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mikeisjoyous » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:18 pm

Guy? Ok, but are you actually a man?
I don't need to have a sleep doctor, Guy. My GP at Kaiser just makes out an order to Apria Healthcare, and between Kaiser and Medicare I might pay $100 total.

I'm really glad you have a good naturopathic doctor.Did you ever read The Psychologist's Eat Anything Diet by the Pearson's. Really creative!

Running from a girl is politically correct? Could be but very sad:(. Mike
mikeisjoyous
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Next

Return to Informal Success Teams