Teaching seniors technology basics

Need a job? Hate the idea of a job? Want some ideas for alternative ways of earning a living? This is your forum.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Teaching seniors technology basics

Postby summersunshine » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:19 pm

Hi, I am looking for ideas on how to start teaching/tutoring senior citizens how to use the internet/compose emails/use Facebook, etc as a business. For some reason what little I find online relates to teaching your grandparents or volunteering. Not that there is anything wrong with this but just trying to find some ways to generate an income right now. Any ideas on how to attract seniors (where to post, etc...thinking not online as this is probably what they would be needing help with!), how to charge, etc? Thanks!!
summersunshine
New User
New User

Re: Teaching seniors technology basics

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:39 pm

Senior centers. Almost every city or town has one. And I'd sign up for the class. Concerning $$$$$ many seniors live on limited incomes and can't afford a lot for a class. Also Junior colleges and adult education programs. Also continuing education programs.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:34 am

I've run my own PC repair business for over 16 years now. I found giving talks on security, passwords, backing up etc. at libraries, senior centers and networking events brought me most of my business. I did very little paid advertising. You need to find out what the going rate is for tech support in your area. Offer seniors discounts and maybe send them a $10 off coupon on their first appointment.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:32 am

I agree with Elaine and Tituba. I would just add that the trick would be to "market" to busy, affluent millennials who want to text & Skype their parents but can't spend time to teach them how. The millennials might feel more comfortable with a tech-savey individual with the sensitivity and patience to work with seniors.

My wife has trouble with technology and she's only 50 yo. Nearly every piece of modern technology seems to stop working when she tries to use it.
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Return to Jobs & Income Streams