Quick-Start Careers

Need a job? Hate the idea of a job? Want some ideas for alternative ways of earning a living? This is your forum.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Quick-Start Careers

Postby alisonlei » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:46 pm

Hi. I've been thinking about this for a few days and thought that if others chimed in this could become useful. What careers can be started, credentials obtained, just by studying for and passing an exam? -no specific educational requirements. The only ones I've come up with so far are: Actuary (at least the first exam or two, then I think it depends on your specialty) Nursing Assistant (I've heard that some states allow you to challenge the exam) Does anyone else know of anything? There are probably some obvious ones I'm skimming right over.
alisonlei
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: Quick-Start Careers

Postby alisonlei » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:50 pm

I left one off: Sommelier If you go through the ISG (International Sommelier Guild), you can challenge the first two exams -not sure about the Diploma level.
alisonlei
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby alisonlei » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:22 pm

So I guess no one else likes this idea as much as me. I just became really intrigued after reading about some guy who used to take all kinds of tests in all different fields and display his credentials just for the heck of it. It made the scanner in me happy. Plus, my hubby is working toward becoming a sommelier (but actually taking the classes rather than challenging the exams).
alisonlei
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby urbanpioneer » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:20 am

Theoretically, if you can pass the bar exam, you become a lawyer whether or not you have ever attended law school. That's what the guy about whom they made the movie "Catch Me If You Can" did.
urbanpioneer
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:59 pm

alisonlei wrote:Actuary (at least the first exam or two, then I think it depends on your specialty)
Been there, done that. If you're really good at math and know how to take standardized tests (like SAT, GMAT, GRE, et. al.), then passing part one isn't too much of a problem and it's then relatively easy to "get into the field". Once in, however, the process is very rigorous and demanding, and unless it comes very easy to you (I've met some with whom it did, it did not for me), you will probably go into something else related (programming/analysis/statistics, etc.). You are also increasingly in competition with masters and PhD holders of Actuarial Science and other related disciplines. BUT, if you can pass the exams with even only a bachelors (and put in the huge amount of time required to study), the sky's the limit (well, maybe not the sky :) )
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby dani » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:14 am

You can easily become a minister: http://ask.yahoo.com/20020702.html. Then there always are insurance sales (agent) and real estate. A lot of commission sales jobs hire people without any particular background. Housing inspectors just need a couple of courses and some knowledge of construction. The one i got for my house was a total hoot--came in humming "Mission Impossible," decided a mysterious dial was for the anally retentive, etc.
dani
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby alisonlei » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:57 am

Thanks for the input guys. I think most of the tech certifications work this way too. Honestly, I wish more things would. If you have the knowledge and skills, shouldn't you be allowed to work in a field without paying for a degree and spending all that time in school? Though the bar exam thing is a little surprising. It makes me want to watch that movie, urbanpioneer. dani, I had forgotten about becoming a minister. I actually considered that one once. I thought it would be fun to do weddings. I got married in Florida by someone who was just a notary public, I think. But I guess that most states require you to be a judge or a minister. I really love the things I'm into now, but some of these could still sit on the back burner for other days. I still love the idea of becoming an actuary. Mostly because I'm really good at standardized tests and like the feeling of beating one. I guess that 's why this whole line of thought is so appealing. But like you commented Scenario Thinker, it just seems a little too intense. I don't want to spend more than 15-20 hours a week on any one thing.
alisonlei
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:31 am

alisonlei wrote:If you have the knowledge and skills, shouldn't you be allowed to work in a field without paying for a degree and spending all that time in school?
As Richard Bolles said, if you can convince an employer that you can solve their problems right now, they don't care if you're from Mars. Well, the reality is a lot of employers will care about your credentials (and in medicine or law, you need the license, etc.), but in most careers you don't, and SOME employer will snap you up (if you can really convince them and prove it to them).
alisonlei wrote:I still love the idea of becoming an actuary.
I loved the idea of it back then, too.
alisonlei wrote:Mostly because I'm really good at standardized tests and like the feeling of beating one.
I'm better than I used to be. You might give it a shot if you like them and are good at it.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Vitey96 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:39 am

Starting a career is quite a tough decision as a field according to interest is to be chosen, then coaching and finally the proper place for graduation. Planning to get enrolment under LSAT Courses for law entrance help. Will ask my friend once as she also is looking for the same to get admission in a renowned university.
Vitey96
New User
New User

Postby Jason » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:21 pm

How about hair stylist? Once you get a following you can do it on your own - renting a chair in a hair place, tanning salon, etc., or even do it in your spare room, basement, garage, etc. I've known a couple of people over the years that did this.
Jason
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Return to Jobs & Income Streams