W: Combine Psychodynamic & Coaching O: Training

Need a job? Hate the idea of a job? Want some ideas for alternative ways of earning a living? This is your forum.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

W: Combine Psychodynamic & Coaching O: Training

Postby avrum68 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:38 pm

My goal: To combine insight oriented psychotherapy (psychodynamic) with the practical aspects of coaching. My background: Education: B.Comm (Marketing) & BSW/MSW (Individual and Family Therapy) Current Occupation: Supervisor at Mental Health/Addiction hospital and Project Manager My concern Does one need formal "coaching" training to do coaching? I'm particularly curious what the therapists/counsellors have to say. My gut feeling is no (I apologize in advance if I've offended any coaches). On the other hand, I will be attending a psychodynamic training program in the Fall of '09. Upon finishing the training, I'm hoping to combine the two fields into a single discipline. Any thoughts on this matter would be helpful.
avrum68
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: W: Combine Psychodynamic & Coaching O: Training

Postby annasus » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:53 pm

Given your background sounds like you have a good start and your experience, knowledge and skills will make you a great coach! From what I know there are special skills you gain in a certified life coach program though and you will benefit from it.
annasus
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby avrum68 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:35 am

annasus wrote:Given your background sounds like you have a good start and your experience, knowledge and skills will make you a great coach! From what I know there are special skills you gain in a certified life coach program though and you will benefit from it.
Thanks for the reply Annasus. Your "vote of confidence" arrived at a good time. I'm going to focus my attention on the psychodynamic side of things, and read coaching lit on my own time. I'm also going to use some of the coaching material with clients at work. In general, it would seem coaching theory/practise is very similar to CBT and other forms of solution-focused counselling. Again, thanks for responding.
avrum68
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby annasus » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:57 am

Glad to help, and best of luck!
annasus
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby marymary » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:56 am

Hello there -- My credentials are similar to yours, and I spent some time investigating the issue of coaching training last spring. A classmate who is a therapist/coach put me on to her colleagues; a co-worker was and is a therapist/coach, and I made some inquiries of national coaching organizations. Currently the market for coaching is unregulated. This is not the same thing as saying that you have no potential downside in holding yourself out as a coach. Many coaching trainers insist that you personally be coached while credentialling yourself. This time applies toward your certification. As this is a growing industry, it is my sense that it will only be a matter of time before licensure will be required, particularly as clients are entitled to clarity in what they can expect.
marymary
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Lateinlife » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:58 am

I once heard a description of coach vs therapist vs mentor vs teacher, in terms of learning how to ride a bicycle. **A teacher explainsto you how to ride a bicycle **A mentor shows you how to ride a bicycle **A counselor explores your fears about riding a bicycle **And a coach, when you are ready, will run along beside you and support you as you are riding your bicycle. One of the things a coach usually does is to work very closely with a client, keeping ther person accountable. Sometimes coaches check in with the client every day for a number of weeks, oftentimes by telephone or email. Would you, as a therapist, be willing to do that?? Also, coaches look at the present (where are you now) and the future (where do you want to be), while a therapist/counselor spends time exploring the past (what happened in the past that could be affecting your present circumstances). I would think you would need to inform the client when you are doing therapy, and when you are doing coaching. One of the benefits of being a counselor/coach is that you may be able to bill the insurance companies. Coaching, in most cases, is not covered by insurance.
Lateinlife
New User
New User

Postby metalchick » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:10 pm

I looked into becoming a coach, ordered a training program and returned because it was a total lie. They charged me $900.00 for the course, and then, AFTER i had paid for the training said it would cost another $1500 for certification. ahem- i asked how much right up front cos i'm not rich, and the CTA lied to me. Bastards. It's not worth it... you don't need certifying, and all they tell you can be summarized as "ask people what they want in as many different ways as you can, then repeat back to them like it's a great idea!" your current qualifications are better than that.
metalchick
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby RubyDragonfly » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:35 pm

Hello! I am an LMSW, and I, too, have coaching ambitions. What I do know at this point is that coaching training is available, and it is wise to get it. As in any field that offers training, there are legitimate sources of training and others which appear to be sources, and really are not--they're merely ripoffs. There is/are coaching associations, too. My idea would be to see what's available in your local area, not just on line but also in the yellow pages of the nearest sizable city to you. And then make some contacts. Talk to some coaches. Being coached to become a coach? Hmmmmm! Worth a try, possibly. In the field of job development, it's called information interviewing. You make an appointment with someone who is a coach, and you ask them, during the appointment, about how to get into the profession. People typically like to give this sort of advice, and won't resist. Best of luck!
RubyDragonfly
New Poster
New Poster

Return to Jobs & Income Streams