Opportunities in the down times

Need a job? Hate the idea of a job? Want some ideas for alternative ways of earning a living? This is your forum.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: Opportunities in the down times

Postby Tituba » Sat May 16, 2009 8:41 am

What is doing well now? Chocolate, spam, home gardening, running shoes, macaroni & cheese http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090516/ap_ ... _recession You could create a nice income stream teaching people how to grow their own veggies.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby missC » Sun May 17, 2009 4:07 am

Foreign language skills tend to improve job options and pay. If I spoke another language fluently, I'd be advertising language tutoring on Gumtree etc. with an emphasis on that. Just a thought.
activity is king' taylor parkes check out my immortal thoughts at: http://bitchinbooks.co.uk
missC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby KyleM » Sun May 17, 2009 8:15 am

I'd rather create a nice income stream eating macaroni and cheese. :D Damn I wish I spoke better Spanish!
KyleM
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby JeannetteLS » Sun May 17, 2009 12:47 pm

Cooking with Spam. In about 1955, my aunt wanted to write a cookbook called just that. She had 25 recipes, she said, one of which was macaroni and cheese Spam sandwich. You grilled two slices of spam and stuffed them with mac&cheese. Yes. Now I'll go away. :oops:
JeannetteLS
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unique Journalist » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:13 am

My stepdad used to claim that Spam was the 5th food group. :mrgreen: Anyway, last year Spam was flying off the shelves in California. Apparently people couldn't afford meat over there with the recession and all, so to get the taste of meat they'd stock up on Spam. (Hopefully, they were getting their protein, too.)
Unique Journalist
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Tituba » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:40 am

Really interesting article about the "wealth mindset." http://www.successmagazine.com/Now-What ... channel/22 I especially liked
When you adopt the Wealth Mindset you simply choose not to participate in the recession. In fact, you now see it quite differently than everyone else, and that sets you apart. History is a wonderful thing. It tells us that recessions always pass. This one will, too. Are you going to hibernate through it—or get stronger while everyone else around you sleepwalks? The choice is yours.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unique Journalist » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:58 pm

I think I have Mel Robbins' article about the wealth mindset at home. That was a really good article.
Unique Journalist
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby sallypz » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:59 pm

This is a wonderful thread...read it all the way through...I agree looking back at the depression era can give us some helpful hints on how to deal with the hard economic times (isn't that a good idea for a book!!!)---one thing people generally had then that we do less of now was extended family living arrangements---back then we were much more of an agrarian society than we are now---grandma & grandpa had a 40+ acre farm & huge garden--they also didn't have regular jobs..they were full time farmers---they were also more community minded than people are now---grandma & grandpa had 'open house' night every Sunday at dinnertime when grandma made a huge chicken dinner (all other foods there including the bread cooked from scratch) and the whole community was invited---we nowadays have fewer people living in the country, way fewer small farms like they had, fewer people know, or have the time for gardening and canning, there is also less community feeling for most people---they were churchgoers, another thing that increased the community feeling, and ideals--less likely hood of criminal actions in the regular person--they had far less things to take care of...no TV, no cell phone, no fast cars, no routine air travel, no computers, no video games, etc... People today have far less connection to the community of church...christians are in the minority in the US...stil I know of at least one church that thakes up an extra offering to use to help people pay their electric bills. One field that did do relatively well during the depression was the movie theaters--entertainment--also today home entertainment is big-- video games, TV's etc...are almost necessities. I see my computer as a necessity do you?? It's also a business opportunity maker. Someone mentioned frugality---frugality is becoming big business--there's new books, web sites every day--just type in frugality on your search engine to see all that's out there. Remaking old clothes is also becoming a big nice--Sewing, from scratch, has become a rather expensive hobby, however. Patterns that once were 25cents now cost about $15.00...price of material has skyrocketed also. It's much cheaper to buy ready-made. People still are reluctant to give up their big gas guzzling cars...they still are everywhere. I thought it might be fun to get a quadracycle (4 wheeled surrey bike) for local travel in the good weather. Maybe will, someday. Ont thing's for sure society (people in general) has to give up it's 'victim mentality' and stop waiting for some big corporation to 'rescue' us...I don't think it's going to happen...we have to rescue ourselves. Independent small businesses. Someone a few posts back mentioned the people who clean out foreclosed homes & what happens to the things that were left there...often the workers get to take theose things for free...I know at least one couple who furnished their whole home, beautiful artwork and all, from items the got in their 'clean-out-foreclosed-homes' business. Know of a lady that is a waitress (never did lose her job)....her (former) Real Estate agent (former very well off) relative and children have moved in with her. sallypz (MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby urbanpioneer » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:48 am

My dad, who was one of 9 kids and is 86, said that during the depression the whole family lived in Detroit and worked at the auto factories when they could. When any of the older boys were laid off for long periods of time or fell on hard times, they moved back in, wife and kids in tow. Once they were back on their feet, they found their own place again. My aunt, the lone girl in the family, ran off with a smooth-talking handsome man who abandoned her, pregnant and alone, a few months later. She came home in disgrace, she said they had been married but it might have not been legal. She had her son and during the depression a man came to the door looking for a meal. My grandmother not only fed him, but took him in as well. He ended up marrying my aunt and they had another child together. He raised both boys as his own and they were married for probably 50+ years when he died.
urbanpioneer
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Jobs & Income Streams