"The Magic of Thinking Big" - What Do You Think?

Need a job? Hate the idea of a job? Want some ideas for alternative ways of earning a living? This is your forum.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

"The Magic of Thinking Big" - What Do You Think?

Postby lorax » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:53 pm

Hi, I have been reading the "Magic of Thinking Big". It was written in the 1950s and it looks like the most recent edition is from 1978. Is its advice still good? Does anybody have experience with using the concepts in it? It seems very important to constantly be working on ones attitude while looking for a job, especially when trying to improve ones salary of get more interesting responsibilities. The "magic" of the book is that believing your goal is possible releases you to find a creative path to it while the sense that it is unattainable pours cold water on this magic. That seems to be what the book is drumming into the reader along with a lot of related material such as forms of defeatist thinking. The book is a little corny at times, perhaps dated, but a lot seems unchanged. It seems to assume that everyone wants to be a top executive, though it does sometimes mention other kinds of careers or other definitions of success. Right now public discourse seems to be awash in in sea of fear regarding jobs and job possibilities. While looking for a job, I am made acutely aware that there is a shrinking pool of jobs, though I don't think this is very useful information without reference to a specific industry. Do the ideas in the Magic of Thinking Big stand up to the job market today as you have experienced it. :?: :?:
lorax
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: "The Magic of Thinking Big" - What Do You Think?

Postby Tituba » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:45 pm

I don't believe in "magic" or "The Secret." I think it is easy to look for the fix that doesn't involve hard work. I do think you have to not limit your expectations of yourself. It is certainly challenging not to feel the media-generated angst/fear that is saturating the air lately. The question facing all of us is "what now?" What do you do with your own life, your own skills, your own opportunities to rise up and to move your life forward? I do think it is important to fuel yourself with a positive future. Reading Napoleon Hill, Zig Ziglar and Norman Vincent Peale brings balance to the diet of negativity in the air today. Is there "magic" in that? No. But the world is the world. You have a choice everyday to approach it everyday with a "woe is me" or a "yes" attitude. Attitude is really the only thing you have complete control over. When all is said and done, people want to be around people who hold up a light - not the one dressed in sack clothes and a sickel.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby lorax » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:02 pm

Hi, I don't believe in the secret either. In fact, I think you could get messed up if you started worrying that a single negative thought might attract some awful real event. I prefer to accept the idea that I am going to go negative from time to time. The trick is to catch myself and keep pulling myself back from that condition. I assume that, with time, one gets better at this. I will say that it helps me tremendously to avoid the media in all its forms. This is hard for me to do because I am an amateur journalist who has been writing for a long time in blogs and alternative papers. :wink:
lorax
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Tituba » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:16 pm

I will say that it helps me tremendously to avoid the media in all its forms.
Yes. There is alot to be said about being uninformed. Wouldn't it be great if we didn't know about how bad things are? What would your world and your viewpoint be if you just operated with the thought that you will succeed? I have a friend that has the news on continually all day/night long. He is angry and negative most of the time. How can you not be affected by the steady diet of bad news? There is alot to be said for shutting off the bad news and just living your life the best you can. So, maybe that is the message in the book you cited? Maybe there is a kind of magic in life without soothsayers.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby skannie » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:43 pm

lorax wrote:I have been reading the "Magic of Thinking Big". It was written in the 1950s and it looks like the most recent edition is from 1978. Is its advice still good? Does anybody have experience with using the concepts in it?
I haven't read that book, lorax. Its age shouldn't necessarily make it less valid. How does it compare with Wishcraft? Does it have any similar concepts or methods, or are they both totally different? Could you give us a bit of a comparative review?
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Scanner Tribe Group on Facebook
Scanner Tribe group on LinkedIn
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jcjm » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:43 pm

I came across that book a while back. Since it dates back to the 50s, it appears to be more along the lines of the power of positive thinking or Napoleon Hills work, more than the secret. I think the main point is that sometimes people think small and then think of how to expand, when it would have been just as easy to think big in the first place.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby newyork004 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:19 pm

Most of the speakers in The Secret all believe in positive thinking in addition to hard work. Some have outright complained that The Secret doesn't deliver the entire message. Overall, the idea is you believe in your goal and power and work towards it with all your energy. That means 'working' not just visualizing and thinking about it. I tried this for about a month, it was hard just to stay positive continuously and resulted in some pretty severe mental crashes. I kept at it and ended up getting a job to author a guide book. While I do have a good bit of travel writing experience, it's a stretch they even assigned me this project. It all fell into my lap in a series of unexpected occurrences, I was not searching for this work. I was only searching for a new project. Just think of it as reaping what you sow. If you're constantly negative and doubt yourself, why would you ever put yourself out there and work towards a big goal if you don't believe in yourself? It's like sitting around in a cubicle all day and then wondering why you're not traveling the world and getting paid. Unless you're doing the actual work to achieve that goal, focusing on it, and following your gut to seek out opportunities and chance occurrences, it will probably never happen. Positive thinking is such a simple concept, it surprises me so few people employ it as a way to truly alter their lives.
newyork004
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby skannie » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:55 am

Well, you're all here on Barbara Sher's forum, and she says she's a "motivator who doesn't like self-improvement or positive thinking." Are you saying she's wrong? Have you read any of her books to find out what she says about it? If not you can start here http://www.wishcraft.com
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:01 am

Well, you're all here on Barbara Sher's forum, and she says she's a "motivator who doesn't like self-improvement or positive thinking." Are you saying she's wrong? Have you read any of her books to find out what she says about it? If not you can start
Sounds like you are drawing a line in the sand. We all are here because somewhere along the way we either say a PBS show, heard her speak or read one of her books. We found community and ideas on this board. There is no requirement that you think Barbara is right on all things to post on the board. In fact, Barbara encourages debate of ideas. That is how everyone, including her, learn and grow. There is no one way. Everyone uses the tools that work for them. For some, positive affirmations work. Not so with other people. We all are learning from each other, which is why this forum strives to include a variety of ideas.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby skannie » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:59 am

Tituba wrote:
Well, you're all here on Barbara Sher's forum, and she says she's a "motivator who doesn't like self-improvement or positive thinking." Are you saying she's wrong? Have you read any of her books to find out what she says about it? If not you can start
Sounds like you are drawing a line in the sand. We all are here because somewhere along the way we either say a PBS show, heard her speak or read one of her books. We found community and ideas on this board. There is no requirement that you think Barbara is right on all things to post on the board. In fact, Barbara encourages debate of ideas. That is how everyone, including her, learn and grow. There is no one way. Everyone uses the tools that work for them. For some, positive affirmations work. Not so with other people. We all are learning from each other, which is why this forum strives to include a variety of ideas.
Hey Tituba, I wasn't drawing a line in the sand, I was asking some questions. Why do you think questions imply negativity? And of course I know that you've read Barbara's books. I was actually trying to encourage some debate about how other people's ideas compare with Barbara's, as you'll see from my previous post on this thread. I don't know how other people come to these boards, but I didn't come in any of the ways you've mentioned, and I didn't have a clue what Barbara's philosophies or methods were when I first arrived. I suspect other people on here don't know either. I think it's a good idea that they should at least know that her ideas are different from usual, and then they can decide for themselves whether to follow them or not.
newyork004 wrote:I tried this for about a month, it was hard just to stay positive continuously and resulted in some pretty severe mental crashes.
I think Barbara's methods would have got you just as good results, or maybe even better, newyork004, without the mental crashes. But at least it's good that you managed to recover from them.
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:23 am

Sorry. Maybe it was the phrasing of your post. Sounded confrontational to me.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:00 am

Hi Lorax, I've read that book, plus dozens of other old ones and really enjoyed them. I like reading the stories about people and those old fashioned books often have lots of examples. For those of us that like self-help then most books will appear attractive. It doesn't mean that we necessarily want to follow the principles, but a genre that we like. Just reading proverbs in the Bible should really be enough to get common sense for life and work but that doesn't seem to be enough these days. We want to spend money on something so books can be a good fix.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Jobs & Income Streams