W:Move to & Thrive in Vancouver,Canada O:finding Work there

Need a job? Hate the idea of a job? Want some ideas for alternative ways of earning a living? This is your forum.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

W:Move to & Thrive in Vancouver,Canada O:finding Work there

Postby hummingbirdzhawk » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:39 am

Hi. I've been following an inspiration I had a year or so ago to move to Vancouver, BC, CANADA. I have visited 3 times since then. The 1st visit I made friends with someone who offered me a free place to stay when she was traveling if I would pet-sit for her. That lead to me 2 subsequent visits. Each visit I have explored and looked into what I need to do to move there and basically it comes down to I need to find someone there willing to hire me. I believe that, just as this free place to stay came to me, so too will the breaks I need to move to Vancouver and live and thrive there . My work experience includes: * production and post-production film work, including assistant sound/picture editing * Hawai'ian Kahuna Healing * office manager for a company in the solar industry * royalty accounting * bookkeeping I am calm in stressful situations and I bring that calm to people and spaces around me. I have great organizational skills. I am very detail-oriented. I am an excellent assistant. I am a good teacher. I'm good at troubleshooting computer problems. I love to drive. I find that all of these skills transfer easily to any industry. I am a great assistant, I could easily be someone's personal assistant. I would love to work in tv/film again. I would love to do my healing in the tv/film environment - i.e., be available on set or at the production offices. When I was in Vancouver, I did talk to some people about this idea and they thought it was great, but none of them were in the position to hire me. Does anyone know of anyone who can help me in my endeavor, or any suggestions? Thanks for your help :)
hummingbirdzhawk
New User
New User

Re: W:Move to & Thrive in Vancouver,Canada O:finding Work there

Postby Mary Farkle » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:28 pm

Greetings, I was born and raised in Vancouver. Now I live in Victoria on Vancouver Island. Are you Canadian? I don't know anybody in the biz you mention but wanted to respond because, like me, your Wishes and Obstacle post got moved to a less likely forum for getting responses. I posted about finding an "accountability partner" and my post disappeared. I just found it today in "Deep and Shallow Discussions." I wish the administrators would advise when they move a post! anyway, all the best with your dream. Vancouver is very beautiful. It rains a lot there, as you probably know. Mary
Mary Farkle
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby hummingbirdzhawk » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:41 am

Hi Mary, Thanks for pointing out an important piece of information I forgot to mention! - No, I am not a Canadian, I'm an American and am currently living in California. So, part of my difficulty in moving to Vancouver is getting residency. Any suggestions along those lines would be much appreciated! It's not quite the same as moving from state to state (or province to province) within the country, which I have done a couple times completely on faith with no job waiting for me - I had no trouble doing that! But this border thing is the obstacle for me - the idea that I need to have a place here AND there until I can truly settle in Vancouver... I've been wanting to visit "The Island" (Vancouver Island) during one of my visits. Maybe we can connect on my next trip. I hope you find the right fit in an "accountability partner". Kris
hummingbirdzhawk
New User
New User

Postby Tituba » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:49 am

Hummingbird - do not post the same thread in multiple forums.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby hummingbirdzhawk » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:27 pm

Sorry. I had realized and changed some things and wasn't sure if that put the post back to W/O forum. Do you have a copy of that post so I can add it to this thread? Thank you.
hummingbirdzhawk
New User
New User

Return to Jobs & Income Streams