2010 Census is hiring

Need a job? Hate the idea of a job? Want some ideas for alternative ways of earning a living? This is your forum.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

2010 Census is hiring

Postby Tituba » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:56 pm

Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 2010 Census is hiring

Postby my3kidsmom » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:13 am

I worked for the census in 2000 and really enjoyed it! I was a stay-home mom with my kids in school. I got to choose my hours and get paid to drive around talking to people. If I could turn it into a full time career I definitely would! I met some really interesting people, learned new streets, many with very interesting names, and got paid from the moment I got into my car until I got back into my driveway. I had only one or two difficult people but they responded nicely to good manners and an upbeat attitude. I was never threatened, etc. I highly recommend being a census taker to anyone looking to make a little extra. Now is the time to sign on too! By the time you get to door knocking, those who have been with the department longest are the managers. It has little to nothing to do with education or experience.
my3kidsmom
New Poster
New Poster

Postby robinsimons » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:51 pm

I applied but havent heard anything yet.
robinsimons
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby tomkitty » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:04 pm

I just completed 5 weeks of address canvassing for the 2010 Census. I really enjoy this type of work, I got up into some amazing places (I'm in Vermont), and the pay was great for what it was. Address canvassing involved carrying a handheld computer door to door and simply matching the street address with the address on the existing Census list, then "map-spotting" the physical house on the GPS. There was also some detective work involved in case of mistakes or duplicates on the list, no posted house number, etc. There was a LOT of driving, walking, but we were paid from the time we left home to the time we got home, plus .55 per mile. Not bad. I made $2500 in 5 weeks. You are considered an "intermittent" federal employee for the duration of the particular phase. Caveats: *Even though we all took the skills test for "Enumerator" (and some for "Supervisor") it almost seemed a toss-up as to who got called. I was lucky enough to be able to return a hiring call the same afternoon and got the position. Friends I know were not as fast and lost out. *The period of work was listed as 8 weeks, maximum. Some canvassers put in a full 40 hrs per week and so we completed our part of the assignment and the team was laid off for lack of work after only 5 weeks, with virtually no notice. As a former federal employee you might qualify for unemployment, given a number of "ifs." Check with your state unemployment office on this. *There is a dropout rate, seemingly folks who are not comfortable with computerized data gathering. *The training was weird. They had a crew leader/trainer who literally was reading from the Census Worker's Manual, who clearly did not know how to instruct a group (it was a bedlam of everyone talking at once, not paying attention, and the leader herself would break off for side remarks to her assistant), didn't organize the material efficiently, and who kept saying she wished she hadn't been handed this job. Good enough for government work? Most of us were smart enough to catch on fast, but some weren't. *It has been next to impossible to sign on for the next phase of the Census work. The local office is apparently staffed with people who know little more than I did. We were all surprised that they weren't interested in capitalizing on the training and experience we had acquired, but were training whole new groups of people. *You can be fired from this job for various reasons, which are clearly spelled out. Good work if you can get it, but who knows how you get onto the inside track? In the meantime, it's an injection of $$ that in my case came in very handy.
tomkitty
New Poster
New Poster

Return to Jobs & Income Streams