Shady Sounding Job

Need a job? Hate the idea of a job? Want some ideas for alternative ways of earning a living? This is your forum.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Shady Sounding Job

Postby tereza » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:23 pm

Hello! Recently, I had a rather good interview with a company that provides information about govt grants and I have a feeling the job is mine. But something about this company seems kind of wrong. I don't know all the details about the place (friend of a friend led me to it), just that what it does is similar to those late night ads with a guy in green shouting about free money from the government. This seems kind of off to me since well, isn't that information free? Another thing that's sort of bothering me is that when I try to do a google search on the company, the only thing that shows up is a complaint about an someone who didn't get their refund back. Also, the day before the interview I got lost trying to find the place and called 411 multiple times to get an address or even a number (the one I had kept leading to voice mail) and the 411 operators had no listings of the place. So I'm curious if anyone has ever worked for a place that sounds similar or if anyone else thinks this is iffy too?
tereza
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Shady Sounding Job

Postby Tituba » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:31 am

Follow your instincts. What is the saying? "People with nothing to hide, hide nothing." Legit companies are listed in the phone book, town hall, on the net. What complaint about a refund? Legit companies don't require you to PAY ANYTHING. Run from this job.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:30 am

Check the Better Business Bureau. http://www.bbb.org
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby metalchick » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:38 pm

...I'd be afraid I couldn't find them when it was time for them to pay ME! I know there are places/people who get paid to help write grant proposals, but they are usually well advertised and easy to find.
metalchick
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Unity » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:56 am

Although it may be suspect, there could be simple explanations too. I'm always reading about businesses that are angry their details aren't put into the places they were expecting and are now missing out on clients. Apart from manual clerical errors, sometimes it could be down to strange things such as the way the names are interpreted by computers. One of the local businesses where i live has dreadful problems with that, and somehow have ended up getting calls from people trying to reach the airport!
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jcjm » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:41 am

There are legit companies that match people with grants for college There are also legit companies that only have a PO Box or cell number. I work with them everyday and have a hard time contacting them even though they have been in business for years and are long time customers. Is this one of them? Follow your instinsts and decide how many red flags is too many.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Jobs & Income Streams