29 Reasons to work for yourself

Need a job? Hate the idea of a job? Want some ideas for alternative ways of earning a living? This is your forum.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

29 Reasons to work for yourself

Postby Tituba » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:47 am

Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 29 Reasons to work for yourself

Postby Tituba » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:48 am

I'd add: When you're sick you can stay home without needing to justify it to anyone. When it takes an hour to shovel out your car, you don't have to go anywhere.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby tomkitty » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:22 pm

Naps? No fast food? Control over your own time? No boss? If you think this is the way to support yourself in the way to which you would like to become accustomed, my suggestion is: don't believe everything you see on the Internet. Instead, talk to someone who is actually self-employed. This could be your auto repair guy, your cleaning lady, your real estate agent, your dentist, your tax preparer. Ten to one they do not have a lot of down time for naps. In fact, the reverse is true: You snooze, you lose. If you have real responsibilities and hope to be even moderately successful, napping is strictly a luxury. As a former real estate agent, I can tell you that every waking minute is devoted to thinking about where your next dollar will be coming from. The best sales training in the country teaches the following mantra: "What have I done today to make money?" I have known agents to leave their child's birthday party to present an offer. No offer, no commission, another tight month. While I'm on the subject, why not take the leap, get your real estate license, and join a firm? They're hiring all the time, and getting "hired" is no sweat. No? Why not? If your job involves travel at all to appointments, assignments, interviews, etc., you will be eating more fast food than you expected. As for being your own boss: your clients, customers become your boss, not you. You are providing services to them, for which they pay you. Make no mistake about it. My sister's husband has been in the fish business for decades. Two years ago he decided to go out on his own, using his contacts and knowledge of the business. He worked incessantly from home, had time to walk the dog, etc., but that's about all he had time for. Traveled a lot to woo new clients, ate fast food on the run, wrote off a lot of mileage and per diem expenses. But he was always a small-time operator trying to break into an industry dominated by fisheries and large seafood brokers. Leads fizzled, his partners revealed themselves to be crooks, etc. etc. His old employer took him back and the family room is now once again a family room. Idealism is great, it keeps us going. But it has to be balanced with hard-nosed realism too, or your dreams will turn to dust. Guaranteed.
tomkitty
New Poster
New Poster

Postby MyPasswordIsInvalid » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:10 pm

Welcome to the boards Mr. tomkitty. Ms. Sher recommends reading the threads before posting. There is very much information here.
tomkitty wrote:Naps? No fast food? Control over your own time? No boss? If you think this is the way to support yourself in the way to which you would like to become accustomed, my suggestion is: don't believe everything you see on the Internet. Instead, talk to someone who is actually self-employed.
In Tituba's case she can talk to HERSELF!!! She has been successfully self-employed for years as well as being a smart consultant and reliable advisor here on the Sher boards. There is no need to wag your finger at her, LOL. Tituba has good first-hand experience and she knows what she is talking about, for sure!
MyPasswordIsInvalid
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Tituba » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:09 pm

I have known agents to leave their child's birthday party to present an offer.
That's just plain sad. To choose a job over a child's feelings. The article I cited above is from Barbara Winter. She has been self-employed for a very long time. In the land of the self-employed, she is part of the trinity (Barbara Sher-Barbara Winter-Valerie Young). Each woman has valuable advice, counsel and great insights. I do work hard. But....... I don't get up with an alarm. I naturally wake around 9. That alone is a blessing. The 5am gig was never good for me. On the other side of it, it is not unusual for me to be working on a PC at 2am. I plan my trips to clients and pack a lunch so I'm not doing fast food. I sleep better than I do when punching a clock. Every now and then, yes, I do take a nap. I pay ALOT less taxes than the employed. I love networking and attending meetings. They generally happen during the day and I'm free to be there. I meet such interesting self-employed people. Self-employment is not for everyone. It is not for those who need a boss to motivate them to work. You have to know yourself and what you are and are not willing to do before you go down this path. Everyone should try it at least once so they know what it is like. I have alot of realtor clients. They are a stressed out bunch - especially now. No thanks. I'm not some deluded Pollyanna. I don't believe in magic. I believe in hard work and taking care of myself. I don't work each month white knuckled - scared there will be no income. There will be calls. There will be clients. I'll be fine.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Jobs & Income Streams