Passionate about nothing?

Need a job? Hate the idea of a job? Want some ideas for alternative ways of earning a living? This is your forum.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: Passionate about nothing?

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:07 pm

Tituba wrote:Passion. That seems to be the buzz word. There are experiences that are like fireworks and experiences that are like water. Just cuz the fireworks make you ooh & ahh, doesn't mean they last. Which has more power? You ever see what happens to a boulder when a stream of water drips onto it over time? There is power in slow, steady, meaningful. Maybe not ooh, ahh - but powerful and passionate nevertheless.
That's a good way to put it. Passion burns out, but a deep love, inner drive, "flow", or however else you can say something more long term is what will carry one through.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:08 pm

kashtanka wrote: ... their conversations revolved around "Dallas" or "Knots Landing", etc.
I loved those shows! :)
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:18 pm

Tituba wrote:
and most people will not find it if they haven't already
I couldn't disagree more. Sounds to me like you have a calendar date in mind as a deadline for either you've found it or not (age 40, 50, 60?). Hmmmm. I can't buy into that. That's like giving up on looking for love because it hasn't worked out so far, so hey, give up.
Calendar date? I don't. I think you can find a "passion" at any age (work or a person). It's more about what will happen to most people. It's sort of like a bell curve skewed to the left (meaning the biggest hump is to the left and it tails off to the right). Most people will probably not find some secret "passion" that's "alluded" them after a certain time has gone by. Not that you can't, and that circumstances won't change to jar something within you, it just won't happen for most. Of course if you keep trying and failing that's your choice in life. I guess the whole point of this post is to consider the other way of looking within and seeing that it might not be about finding something out there, but about changing how you deal with this issue of finding a passion, and of course maybe discovering you had it all along.
Last edited by Scenario Thinker on Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kashtanka » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:18 pm

ST :D
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:23 pm

I guess the whole point of this post is to consider the other way of looking within and seeing that it might not be about finding something out there, but about changing how you deal with this issue of finding a passion, and of course maybe discovering you had it all alone.
Freudian slip there ST? (alone versus along....) Yes, it is about perspective. One person's blessing is another one's curse. A job is a job. Neutral. Not good nor bad. No meaning except what you bring to it. You change your perspective and you change your relationship to the task (or person).
It's more about what will happen to most people.
Not everyone can grow up to be a ballerina or firemen. Different paths for different people. Depends what baggage they are carrying around and how they let it motivate or weigh them down. I think the idea that you are suppose to find "passion" makes people feel like a failure when they can't pin point just what that passion is or how to find it. The thing is - it isn't a thing - it is a feeling. You can have a feeling by just deciding to experience it.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby shparks » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:12 am

Tituba wrote: A job is a job. Neutral. Not good nor bad. No meaning except what you bring to it.
I disagree with that. If to me a meaningful career is one that allows me to add to mankind's knowledge in a way that makes a big positive impact on the world - I would not expect to find that at some job at a gas station or something.
shparks
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Tituba » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:17 am

Yeah, I know that there are a lot of different ways to be a scientist. I just always pictured myself as one of those college professors that does research. I think that having a job which involved teaching classes and doing research would be more fulfilling that just doing research, because of the variety. Some professors also write books, go on the news or talk shows to discuss their area of expertise, etc. Plus the title "Professor" is really cool.
You posted the above in another thread. It seems that you are looking for a title to feel validated. What if you had a job that made a big positive change in the world but it was accomplished anonymously? No one knew it was you and you didn't get the credit. Would you like that job? Even though the goal was met but you didn't get the credit? That will tell you whether what you are looking for is the experience of helping the world or whether what you really need is the prestige that you think comes with the title.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:21 am

Freudian slip ... I mean typo, corrected. :)
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:42 am

and of course maybe discovering you had it all alone.
Actually - this statement is profound in of itself.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:25 am

shparks wrote:
Tituba wrote: A job is a job. Neutral. Not good nor bad. No meaning except what you bring to it.
I disagree with that. If to me a meaningful career is one that allows me to add to mankind's knowledge in a way that makes a big positive impact on the world - I would not expect to find that at some job at a gas station or something.
So if everyone thought like this, how would gas stations would be staffed? Don't forget that the good book tells us we need to be humble not proud.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby shparks » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:06 am

Tituba wrote: It seems that you are looking for a title to feel validated. What if you had a job that made a big positive change in the world but it was accomplished anonymously? No one knew it was you and you didn't get the credit. Would you like that job? Even though the goal was met but you didn't get the credit? That will tell you whether what you are looking for is the experience of helping the world or whether what you really need is the prestige that you think comes with the title.
I would do the job even if I never got the credit. I would still have made the impact, and I would know what I had accomplished. That fact that the contribution is made is more important than whether or not people praise me for doing it. It is true that feeling validated by the people around me is something I value. But hopefully I would still get that by being a good person and a good friend, no matter what my career is. I would consider recognition and a cool title as a bonus, but not an essential aspect of my ideal career.
shparks
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby shparks » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:13 am

Unity wrote: So if everyone thought like this, how would gas stations would be staffed?
I have worked at a gas station and a fast food restaurant. I think that everyone should experience working in customer service, so that they will know what it is like to do that sort of work and maybe think twice before giving a clerk a hard time over every petty little inconvenience. But I do not think that anyone should have to make a career out of being a clerk if they aspire to more than that. Some people don't really care what they do for a living, because to them a job is just a way to make money. For other people, their career is an important part of who they are. I fit into the latter category.
shparks
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby MyPasswordIsInvalid » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:21 pm

Passion might be expressed in a career or job but passion exists within. A job and a career aren't always the same thing: sometimes they are concurrent, sometimes they overlap and sometimes they stand apart from each other: the job and career of the artist Gauguin comes to mind. BTW, the writer-producers David Jacobs and Michael Filerman were apparently quite passionate about "Knots Landing" and a little bit less so with "Dallas" which became their "job" before they were greenlighted to develop "Knots Landing." One man's passion is another man's fluff or ho-hum or even unspeakable horror.
MyPasswordIsInvalid
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Previous

Return to Jobs & Income Streams