The Elusive Easy Job

Need a job? Hate the idea of a job? Want some ideas for alternative ways of earning a living? This is your forum.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

The Elusive Easy Job

Postby OutOfTheOffice » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:59 pm

For the past 6 years, I've worked in mid-level (above entry-level but below management) positions at insurance and financial firms. And yet, for the past 2 years I've been looking for an easy, entry-level, relatively low-stress job. I'm thinking of being a mail-room clerk or file clerk, but I'm willing to consider other similar options. Notice I said that I've been searching for the past 2 YEARS. When I apply for clerk-type jobs and carefully use words in my cover letters and resumes to explain my previous experience performing these tasks and why I'm qualified, I usually get no response at all. And sometimes, oddly enough, I get a canned response informing me that I don't meet the qualifications for those positions! You wouldn't believe how difficult it is to get an easy job. I'm not asking for much. I'm not ambitious, and I'm not looking for "advancement opportunities". I'm willing to take a significant pay cut. I can still do the work required in an entry-level position. Anyone have any hints on how an "experienced" worker can go back to a lower-level job? And should I be honest enough to say I want an easier job, or just pretend like I still have ambitions? Should I mention that I have a bachelor's degree, or will that make me appear even more "overqualified" than I already am? All ideas are welcome!
OutOfTheOffice
New User
New User

Re: The Elusive Easy Job

Postby JeannetteLS » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:37 pm

I think I'd ask you right off the bat, WHY do you want this? If there is something--I'm guessing there is--you want to do while you simply make money for the bills, it might be good to say that. My thought is that you could make yourself stand out as WANTING an "easy" job -- one that will carry you so that you can pursue something else that has nothing to do with having a "job." Does that make any sense? Perhaps applying for these jobs because it's something you want for a reason would work better. Searching for a way to express this--I hope I succeeded.
JeannetteLS
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: The Elusive Easy Job

Postby educguess » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:14 pm

okay here's a thought - easy clerical position for an organization you could have a passion for - sell your passion and basic skills Permanent Temp worker - if you are in a good size area you can work full time and keep changing where you work - When I did it - a couple of things happened - I had fun learning in each new organization and really did get permanent job offers for types of jobs that would not have hired me directly for those positions.
[color=#4000BF]"How To" LIfe Consultants, LLC " Personal Development for Mult-talented Individuals" http://www.HowToInLife.com [/color]
educguess
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Return to Jobs & Income Streams