W: found a cool job O: resume & RESISTANCE

Need a job? Hate the idea of a job? Want some ideas for alternative ways of earning a living? This is your forum.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

W: found a cool job O: resume & RESISTANCE

Postby DreamThief » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:00 pm

When I completed my BA this spring I didn't work on my resume because I applied to take a NYS employment exam. I filled out an online application which asked for all the pertinent information, so no resume was requested or necessary. I took the exam in June but I don't expect the results until late fall. In the meantime I did a little comparison job searching online to see what the private sector had available, and I found a really cool job I might qualify for with an employer I would love to work for. My difficulty now is that whenever I think about this job I go weak in the knees with resistance jitters, so suddenly I'm drawing a blank on how to create a resume. The last time I needed one was 20 years ago and I've heard that the acceptable style has completely changed, but every time I try to read a resume tips website I'm a ball of nerves and I can't sort it out. For anyone who knows me this is completely out of character, so deep down I must REALLY want this job. I thought there might be a resume tips section in Barbara's boards but I haven't found it yet. Please help.
:D I'll treat your dream like my own until it's fulfilled.
DreamThief
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: W: found a cool job O: resume & RESISTANCE

Postby Unique Journalist » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:02 pm

Tried to find a resume tips section on the boards, too. Not sure if they have one though.

A couple of years ago I remember being asked to help someone with their job application. One of my managers was applying for a position within the facility and wanted it really, really bad. She had the same reactions you're having. Her mind was a blur. She had direct experience in the line of work she wanted to do, so I encouraged her to put that at the TOP of her list (it was like pulling teeth). She ended up getting the job.

That experience taught me two things:
-- Emotions can cloud judgment. Get someone else to proofread and give advice on a resume (preferably someone who's handled a lot of resumes).
-- Don't discount relevant experience. If a job directly relates to the one you want, put that first.

Not sure if any of this helps.
Unique Journalist
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby DreamThief » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:32 am

Thanks, I'll keep at it.
DreamThief
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby antonia » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:22 am

Here's a strategy to make sure your resume matches what they're looking for, and it also might help you calm your nerves temporarily by approaching the task from a new angle.

Type out the job description as it appears in the ad. (Or do this exercise on a whiteboard.) Separate each discrete element by a paragraph break. For example, if the ad reads, "We're looking for someone who's self-motivated, creative and organized" you'd break up the sentence so that each adjective is on its own line.

Now you'll have a list of qualities or skills. Under each one, QUICKLY (without overthinking!) jot down everything you've done--in any job--that's a great example of each skill. For example, say one of the skills is "able to meet deadlines consistently," you might scribble down "re-organized development team production to meet spring deadline two weeks ahead of schedule." Don't worry about grammar or anything at this point.

When you're done, you should hopefully have a long list of really specific, concrete things you've done. Now you can go ahead and create the typical format with employment history and just plug the items you've brainstormed into the appropriate places. You can always use an unconventional format too, depending on the field you're in; these days people are a lot more lenient with resume formats as long as the relevant information is clearly conveyed.

I hope this approach makes sense and helps you a little bit.

If you're really keen to get the job and don't mind spending a little money, you could always pay someone to do your resume. Just be sure you use someone reputable.

Good luck with your application!
do what you love where you love: http://www.anomadslot.com/
antonia
New Poster
New Poster

Postby DreamThief » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:08 am

Thanks Antonia, I'll try it because the resume I came up with seems very dry and unimpressive.
DreamThief
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby antonia » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:20 pm

No problem! Also keep in mind that the trend nowadays is to focus on results rather than duties. Employers want to know what you accomplished and how you benefitted your previous employers, not just a laundry list of tasks.
do what you love where you love: http://www.anomadslot.com/
antonia
New Poster
New Poster

Postby MikeSerious » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:17 am

Hi:)
If you want help with a resume, I'd be willing to help over the phone. No charge. I need the added experience.
I coached a friend of mine to make a resume, which got him a better job in 4 days. I'm thinking of making a business out of it, but I need added experience so I can feel (hopefully) enthusiastic about how I'd be helping folks.
Anyways, if interested, send a PM (BOARD ADMIN - PERSONAL EMAIL REMOVED)
best,
Mike
MikeSerious
New User
New User

Postby DreamThief » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:59 am

Hi MikeSerious,
Thanks for the offer, but I've already sent my information to Ilona Vanderwoude and I'm going to see what she does with it.
Best wishes,
Tricia
DreamThief
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby DreamThief » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:05 pm

It's been a long hard struggle, but I now have an AWESOME JOB! I am now a Client Service Associate at Pinnacle Investments LLC in Albany. I'm still in training but I'm already respected and allowed to use my creativity to improve the office. It was worth all of the hard work and nail biting to get here!
DreamThief
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby kashtanka » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:43 pm

Fantastic Dreamthief! Congratulations on your new job!
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Jobs & Income Streams