careers/jobs in writing/teaching/editing/proofreading

Need a job? Hate the idea of a job? Want some ideas for alternative ways of earning a living? This is your forum.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

careers/jobs in writing/teaching/editing/proofreading

Postby summersunshine » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:01 am

I have recently earned my bachelor's degree in English. I went back to school as an adult and have focused most of my energy to being a student. I am now looking for a job and while in the past I may have seen that a degree was required what seems to be even more important now is 3-5-7 yrs of experience. So, I have the degree and don't have the experience and I am at a loss on how to get into my fields of interest. I would like a career in editing/proofreading/writing. I am also interested in the field of education (though I am not really interested in being a traditional school teacher). I have passt experience in teaching and assisting pre-k, however, this experience is over 10 yrs ago and I am not sure it actually "counts" anymore. I would like to do private tutoring, however, I am having a hard time trying to get into this. Everyone tells me to try the schools and post there. Yet, when I have called schools in my area they tell me they don't know me so they can't allow me to post anything or even put my name on a list for parents. I would also be happy to do freelance work in writing. My issue with this is I am not sure where to begin. When it comes to writing online I am not entirely sure what is and isn't "on the level". Also, I do have a difficult time writing just to write (which maybe means I am not really a true writer, however, when I have had assignments due for classes or have even taken creative writing classes I have received A's and very positive responses and do enjoy the actual act of writing. I just seem to need something specific to focus on). Right now I would just be happy to find a tolerable job. The job market is tough right now (at least this is what I tell myself when I don't get responses) and it's been difficult finding something. I would be happy right now to find just about anything preferably in an area of interest (ie-receptionist in a publishing co, advertising agency, etc). In short, any suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you :D
summersunshine
New User
New User

Re: careers/jobs in writing/teaching/editing/proofreading

Postby Moonracer » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:33 pm

Well, you could sign up to be a substitute teacher. That way, you could earn some money, plus get to know other teachers, which could lead to tutoring.

You could write up a report of some kind for parents, "How to Choose a Tutor" or something like that and offer it at the next PTA meeting. You could take out an ad in the local paper and offer the same report for free, the idea being building clientele for tutoring.

There are tutoring companies (Kumon, etc.) perhaps you could get a job with one of them.

You could offer to do ESL tutoring for free, which could give credibility and connections. Check your local churches and community centers.

You could write an article about selecting a tutor (perhaps for summer--get a head start) and also offer your special report in the article to get parents to contact you.

Good luck!
Moonracer
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kashtanka » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:41 pm

With a BA in English, you should be able to get a job other than a clerical one in a publishing company. I'm not sure of all the job titles, but editor's have assistants who screen manuscripts to save them from tons of reading. I knew a woman who did this out of college with a BA in English. Fortunately she was able to live in NYC where a lot of the big publishers are.
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby summersunshine » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:49 pm

Thank you both for your responses. Moonracer, I will look into the churches and community centers in terms of volunteering.
Kashtanka, I agree that the degree should get me farther than clerical work. It just seems that every job I see (even entry level ones) require years of experience I don't have along with the degree. I am not sure how to break in. I don't think it was always this way. I know someone who told me right out of HS she had gotten a job as a proofreader and now when I see a proofreader job it calls for years of experience. I know I can do the job I just need a break! You are right though. NYC definitely gives a lot more opportunities. I have seriously considered moving there.
summersunshine
New User
New User

Postby RayofLight2 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:40 am

It seems that most jobs are requiring a significant amount of experience these days. I too wish I could live in NYC to have exposure to more jobs but I'm stuck with my husband in Upstate New York. Anyway, volunteering and networking are good options to get to know hiring managers and/or people who aren't in HR.
RayofLight2
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Return to Jobs & Income Streams