income ideas while abroad

Need a job? Hate the idea of a job? Want some ideas for alternative ways of earning a living? This is your forum.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

income ideas while abroad

Postby lemontzzaide » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:23 am

Re:
How to make money on the internet
by AnneSophie » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:10 pm

Expatana, a blog about living abroad and a website which will sell your services and books, brochures or even artwork is right up your alley.

----------------------
Hi everyone,
It's clearly been a while re: the above was posted, but the content is still relevant :D !
I enjoyed this thread.

At the moment, I am wondering what to do in a few months. :?
Spouse will be on contract in Caribbean (St. Lucia??!?). Will have nice home,garden. Like to draw. Want to practise relaxation while there in addition to drawing/painting. Should be nice environment to do that ...

:arrow: What do you think?
    > I was thinking about how to use internet for income somehow.
    > Also, maybe an art workshop for visitors? (to whom?)
    > What do you think you could do, while living abroad/island to generate income while there?
    > What might appeal to you, if you were visiting (appeal enough to you to want pay for that service/workshop/??? )?

Figured out I could incorporate my drawing/painting while there ...
Internet is typically 'other-location friendly' ...
Any other suggestions?

Thanks for any feedback! lemontzzaide
lemontzzaide
New Poster
New Poster

Re: income ideas while abroad

Postby expatana » Wed May 15, 2013 7:29 pm

Lemontzzaide, I'm so sorry I haven't responded yet. I was off the Boards for a while and I didn't get any email notification about this thread. Usually if someone comments somewhere, I get notice. Oh well.

Yep, that's my favorite thing to do in the whole world! I'd love to have a site related to living abroad. I am in the process of figuring out what kind of things I could sell to make money. Even after all this time, I'm not sure what people would pay money for online as far as info. I have no talent for art of any kind. I know others have sites that are making money. It's just a sort of process of elimination.

What would people pay money for on a site? I've bought the occasional ebook or mini-course, but it'd have to be something that would enable me to earn consistently.

I earn a little editing, but right now I'm only working with one client. I'm trying to get more before my temporary job ends (sometime in July).

Thanks again!
expatana
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby expatana » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:55 pm

Now it's really been forever since this thread was last active, so I'm kind of embarrassed. But so be it, so here goes.

Lemontzzaide, I do hope you're doing something related to drawing or painting while in the Caribbean. In addition to the ideas you posted yourself last year, I've heard of people making money, even a good income, transferring their art to useful things like T-shirts, mugs and the like. Have you thought about trying something like that? If I were in that situation and could draw/paint, I'd make some designs and think of objects I could put them on. I'd then sell them either online or maybe even in a small tourist gift shop. Perhaps, you could market art lessons along with this little "concession."

Of course, it's been a year now and you're probably doing something there now. I just found this and remembered you had given me an idea so I thought I'd try giving you one I'd heard.

As for me, I ended up on that temp job until just 2 weeks ago, when I was finally let go. It happened while I had been apartment hunting, so I'll be homeless at the end of next month. Such is life. I'm trying to be philosophical about it all. Too many people are hurting to be otherwise.

Best,
Ana
expatana
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:28 pm

This site might be useful

http://internationalliving.com/
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby expatana » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:19 pm

Ok, here we go again, where a lot of time has passed. I'm glad I saw this just to keep this thread open.

Internationalliving.com is one of the best-known sites for info on living abroad, focusing primarily on living in retirement. The company's been around for over 25 years and had a monthly print newsletter that gave ideas on how to put an expat life together. I took it for a few years in the 90s. There were some good ideas. They gave info on housesitting, opening brick-and-mortar businesses, creative services, etc. There was not one thing I was in a position to take advantage of, as I had a modest job and an apt. in L.A., and little savings. Although they're now totally online, most of their target market still consists of retired couples with some assets. They may occasionally mention singles, but again these people always have assets or at least a guaranteed income.

Every one of their issues comes with a hard sell of some kind, usually a pricey conference or something having to do with real estate. Other sites have come on the scene centering around retirement, usually focusing on one place, Ecuador being the destination of the moment. That popularity has encouraged some people to try moving there who really don't have enough money and some people's circumstances end up very bleak as a result.

IL has lately tried to offer ideas on making money remotely, but their suggestions tend to be things everybody and their mother is trying: writing, editing, web design, et al. For those with more cash, the new popular thing is running a beach bar.
expatana
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Jobs & Income Streams