Best advice Martha Stewart ever got

Need a job? Hate the idea of a job? Want some ideas for alternative ways of earning a living? This is your forum.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Best advice Martha Stewart ever got

Postby Scenario Thinker » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:43 pm

Not sure if everyone can get to this link without logging in to LinkedIn, but main thing to me was:
http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/arti ... you-choose wrote:
I learned that the true work of any job may be much different than what you imagine.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Best advice Martha Stewart ever got

Postby SquarePeg » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:07 pm

Barely related to this topic:

The job I have today did not exist in any form when I was born. Nor did I know it existed when I started college.
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:05 am

I was walking down an aisle at work and noticed everyone staring at a flat screen and thought how interesting it is how we all work now. Where I work, everyone has a desk and area (cube), but most of the attention is on the flat screen. Something that wasn't even there when I was in college, either (the only screen was a TV back then).
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:36 pm

I was at a cyber safety seminar for parents of teens / tweens a few years ago. A speaker commented off topic that the way students study and do homework today is quite different from how we did it. A typical student will be listening to an MP3 player, intermittently texting with an average of three buddies, and watching a YouTube video, all while solving math problems and doing a fairly decent job of it. A teen's ability to multitask today may evolve into a very important job skill.

Middle Managers may need to be aware of this and understand how to leverage it, not discourage it.
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Return to Jobs & Income Streams