Searching For Work Ideas

Need a job? Hate the idea of a job? Want some ideas for alternative ways of earning a living? This is your forum.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Searching For Work Ideas

Postby virtuesummer » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:22 am

Hey everyone. Here's my basic situation: I currently do general transcription work as an independent contractor from home. I like it, but I'm trying to work out other things I could do as well. I don't have much in the way of official qualifications, but I've been trying to brainstorm some of my skills:

-Writing: I've written fiction and sold two short stories (the last at pro rates). I think I could write nonfiction if I knew what to write about.

-Internet Research: I use this day to day either to discover or verify spelling of names and terms or to search out other resources I need to transcribe that day's files (As a general transcriptionist that means anything from the terminology of a specialized field to the names of actors, directors, and cinematographers who worked on a film, to finding a video broadcast that matches an audio file I've been given so I can cross reference them to verify speaker identifications). Yay Google.

-Typing: 70+ WPM last time I tested.

-Ability to balance multiple projects and meet deadlines.

-Ability to keep track of multiple sets of guidelines for different clients.

And in case it might help here are some of my hobbies:

-Writing (already mentioned)

-Reading (mostly fiction, but also books on whatever else catches my attention)

-Photography (mostly pics of animals and nature since that doesn't garner complaints from people about not being photogenic enough)

-Memorizing Poetry

-Learning (Examples: Last month I spent time brushing up on some introductory geometry. Months ago I was working on Spanish reading and listening comprehension)

-Word Games: Crossword puzzles, word searches, Scrabble

-Watching my favorite shows (I don't mean vegging out in front of the TV. I mean, for example, watching my Supernatural DVDs which I've seen multiple times but keep going back to both for general enjoyment and because every time I notice something I don't remember noticing last time, such as the quality of light in a certain scene or how a line of dialogue in one episode is echoed in another).

Any suggestions are welcome.
virtuesummer
New User
New User

Return to Jobs & Income Streams