No job and no business : what option are there?

Need a job? Hate the idea of a job? Want some ideas for alternative ways of earning a living? This is your forum.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

No job and no business : what option are there?

Postby StellaNYC » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:34 pm

Hey guys,

Not to be difficult but the idea of going back to a job like my old one and siting at a desk sounds like death to me
Yet I don't want to have my own business either, I'm not good at marketing and or sales and find running a business and the un reliability of income quite stressful...

Any thoughts? Has anyone else navigated between this rock and a Hard place?

:(

Any help much appreciated

Thanks
StellaNYC
New User
New User

Re: No job and no business : what option are there?

Postby Tituba » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:30 am

Unless you have a big bank account to sustain you, you don't have the luxury of exploring too long. You need a "good enough job" (one that pays the bills) until you can sort out what it is that will make you happy.

There are a lot of jobs that aren't in cubicle-land (food service, postal delivery etc.)
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Vickih » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:40 am

Where do your interests lie? What about a job outdoors? Or teaching?
www.yourspiritualself.com
Vickih
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:02 pm

Would you like to have a job where you worked at different locations? As someone doing technical support or bookkeeping for various clients of your employer, for example?

What about temporary jobs? They don't pay much, but it wouldn't be the same old thing every day.

As Vicki said, what about working out of doors - for parks and recreation areas, public works departments for local governments. (That's maintaining parks, playgrounds, etc.)

Would you like driving for a living?

Would any of the above be a good enough job for a few years, perhaps, but not for the rest of your working career?

Barbara Sher would probably ask you, "what lights up your heart like New Years Eve?" But that might not be something that pays the bills - at least not right away.

Anyway, some things to think about.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby synchronicity » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:37 pm

Hi StellaNYC,
A LOT, probably most people who start their own business HATE marketing and selling. But there are so many creative ways of doing it -- you don't need to be a natural "sales person" to be an entrepreneur. So definitely don't let that stop you. There's lots of helpful sites out there for small biz -- such as Seth Godin, puttylike....so many of them. Definitely check out the many sites and books out there. Also check out sites like cooljobs.com, funjobs.com, etc. Good luck!
synchronicity
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:28 am

Oh, Synchronicity,

Do you know anything about marketing? So many of us, including me hate the idea, but if you want clients, how else are you going to get them? I will check out the sites you mentioned, but not tonight because I'm pooped. And I HAVE done some marketing that wasn't horrible. So you're right - it can be fun. But, oh, I have so much to learn. I got the Dummy book for marketing on Twitter. It put me to sleep, except for the parts that I couldn't understand.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby emspace » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:44 pm

Synchronicity,

A LOT, probably most people who start their own business HATE marketing and selling. But there are so many creative ways of doing it -- you don't need to be a natural “sales ” to be an entrepreneur. So definitely don't let that stop you.

While I can agree with this, the truth is that for some people, it can still be too much. I’ve read a lot of marketing books and followed a lot of marketing gurus and I still can’t muster much energy to do what needs to be done to get the kind of traction a new business needs. The only option is to hire someone, or get a student intern, or get your nephew to do it for free meals, or something like.

If your business is not already concerned with marketing and sales, doing marketing and sales for most entrepreneurs falls under the category of Things I’d Rather Not Be Spending My Time Doing.

To StellaNYC or anyone else in the same conundrum:

There are more than two choices here! There are plenty of jobs that don’t involve sitting at a desk in front of a computer and also aren’t self-employment! However, not knowing more details about what you do or do not do, what you like or do not like, what skills you have or do not have, it’s difficult to be more helpful and specific.

Of course, not every option is equally easy to get a job in, or easy to make a comfortable living in, or easy to get qualifications for, and so on. There are downsides to nearly anything I can think of off the top of my head, so if you’re looking for a sure thing, there isn’t one. :(
emspace
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Return to Jobs & Income Streams