Hitting 55 - My Life Is Not Working Out

Need a job? Hate the idea of a job? Want some ideas for alternative ways of earning a living? This is your forum.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Hitting 55 - My Life Is Not Working Out

Postby Zelda » Tue May 08, 2001 7:02 pm

And now a Zelda update. I'm older and out of work. I don't hate my entire life. I still have Wild Bill Parakeet. I'm still writing fiction. I just know if my ship comes in, I'll be at the airport. I hope I'm not the only unemployed, post-menopausal, recovring Catholic who cried today because there's one less Beatle in the world. All sympathetic responses welcome. Okay, all responses welcome. ------------------ [This message has been edited by Zelda (edited November 30, 2001).]
Zelda
New Poster
New Poster

Postby topatate16 » Tue May 08, 2001 7:47 pm

Anyone who has a little creature to love (parakeet, kitten, puppy, chewed up chipmunks - no snakes!) doesn't have it all bad. You say you are the oldest living temp in the western hemisphere. Well, a living temp is better than the alternative! OK, so I'm not helping much. You know what? I am compelled to say this to you. Go find a Unity church. Just visit it once. I don't know why I had to say that.
topatate16
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Goldfish » Tue May 08, 2001 7:57 pm

Zelda, I too have known the hell of temp work. What kind of fiction are you interested in writing? Cheers Goldfish Image
Goldfish
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby dial » Tue May 08, 2001 8:52 pm

you are very funny. seems like you would be an entertaining writer.
dial
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby MJ Muir » Tue May 08, 2001 9:10 pm

Zelda I'd say you've got a lot going for you. You can type probably faster than I can. You most likely do not make type/errors when you are at work. And you have the love of a dear little bird. You live in a delightful sounding place called Suffolk County and you are able to be silly at moments like this. And you probably have an enormous amount of wisdom and life experience to bring to this world and this board. You probably still have most of your hair. You are still alive and hopefully healthy. You are one of the Survivors of the world. You are about to begin & or continue the rest of your wonderful life as a writer among other things. And you will begin the first draft/chapter of your newest novel tomorrow at 3 p. m. It is also Spring!
MJ Muir
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Arty » Wed May 09, 2001 5:35 am

Zelda, I'm about to hit 54. There's a lot of us on this board. As for not buying lottery tickets, well, your chances are practically the same if you do or you don't. Image when it is your turn to win, a burning bush will inform you it's time to buy the ticket. (Were you the person who posted that she is a recovering Catholic? Me too.) [This message has been edited by Arty (edited May 09, 2001).]
Arty
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby bluelilac » Sun May 13, 2001 4:47 pm

And to put in another two cents worth, I am about to turn 60. I am a recovered ex Catholic and I have mostly no guilt whatsoever. (Well most of the time). I tried typing once. My department had been eliminated, 10 women Out, including me. (I turned fifty five that year). (They kept all the guys because they could fix Computers and they have screw drivers) And they kept a twenty year old with nice legs. (Do I sound bitter?) In order to survive, I bluffed my way into the job from hell. "But you are an artist. You can't be a typist. Can you type 40 words a minute?" They asked me. "Probably". I replied. I lied. I got the job, and before it started I ran home bought a compter CD typing course which immediately told me I was less than ten words per minute in speed. (I am still at the ten words a minute speed.) I quit that job after two months of sheer hell with a boss who would regularly stand behind me saying things like 'Can't you go any faster?" So I cannot even be a temp. I did get another job at the age of fity five, even though my hair is grey (I dyed it a nice brown so they wouldn't notice.) Looking back it was quite a challenge surviving that one. We women are survivors! We will even be published someday. And we will be writers and we are. NOW. Here's to the temps of the world! I salute you.
bluelilac
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby TwoheadedCyclops » Mon May 14, 2001 12:02 am

Hello, You would be an excellent writer!!! I can tell a lot from what you wrote here: 1) You know how to start with a punchy first statement to "hook" readers. 2) You are self-depricating only mildly and in a very humorus way in which people can relate to you. 3) You write succinctly without too many words. 4) You have an entertaining style!! So in conclusion, if you really want to write-do it even if you just start out doing it for 1 hour every Thursday. Or maybe you'll decide a half hour every night before bed, or after dinner, or maybe in the mornings before you start your day. -Even 15minutes to start is better than an excuse not to start. Good luck.
TwoheadedCyclops
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Robyne » Mon May 21, 2001 1:24 am

Hey Zelda I am 53 (going on 54) and I also want to write my fiction. I also am doing the contract work thing. (I am in Australia). Every time companies try to get me to take a permanent job I resign. I gues it is because I would then be a manager and not a writer..... Your message made me realise I am not alone!! Thank you
Robyne
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Jellyfish » Mon May 21, 2001 11:39 am

Zelda, your frustration is understandable. But, the fact that you acknowledge your current situation is no longer working for you is a good thing! You mentioned wanting to work on your fiction, but might I throw a suggestion out there? Who better to write about the "do's and don'ts" of temping than you?! I admit I haven't had to temp much, but would have liked an expert around when I did. Maybe you could look into writing a "Temping for Dummies" book? Since I know I have several career changes ahead of me in my lifetime, I could sure use some tips on how to get my foot in the door in my desired area of interest, through temp work. And after you're done with that, maybe you can write a children's book with the main character as, say, a parakeet? Good luck!
Jellyfish
New User
New User

Postby bluelilac » Mon May 21, 2001 11:48 am

Zelda How's the writing coming along?
bluelilac
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby d. olsen » Tue May 22, 2001 5:31 am

I turned 55 this year. Great! I can be the wise old woman now. Go to www.freelancewriting.com and look for outlets for your writing. Or www.writingtree.com. Suffolk County is NY's #1 ag county (yes, I know, you don't believe me). If you like anything to do with flowers, you can get a great job in a greenhouse raising them, in a nursery, selling them, or as a "garden consultant," planting them. Talk to the folks at Cooperative Extension and join the Master Gardeners group -- there are great people there and LOTS of job contacts. And you could start writing about why the ag biz on LI is so big it's filling the county's coffers with beaucoup tax revenues! (Btw, the landscaper biz pays $16-20 an hour for people who know how to plant or mow and can speak English and Spanish. Plus you're in the golden sun all day. (I too am an ex-Catholic who found God when I became a Christian. Gee I hope we don't turn a storm of current Catholics against us.) dianne
d. olsen
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Return to Jobs & Income Streams