Cartoonists or Art ?

Need a job? Hate the idea of a job? Want some ideas for alternative ways of earning a living? This is your forum.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Cartoonists or Art ?

Postby ors426 » Wed Sep 05, 2001 9:21 am

Hello. I'm a beginner artist, cartoonist, illustrator. For almost over a year now I've been going around showing off samples of my work on the web and trying to make contact with someone (agent, publisher, employer,) anyone in the profession to at least get some feed back on my work and direction or maybe even a job, but seem to be running face first into walls. I have been told by others that I do have the talent and skill, (either they were being nice to me or telling me the truth) but I seem to not be able to make the right connections with the right people. If anyone has any information that I could use it would be a great help. Nick
ors426
New User
New User

Postby Laura » Wed Sep 05, 2001 4:14 pm

I know next to nothing about the cartooning field, but it does seem that it's a hard thing to get into. There are lots of people who publish strip series on the web, and many of them are great; I read several every day. Someone in this group might have more info about the details for you. One aggregating site I know of is keenspot.com.
Laura
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby ors426 » Thu Sep 27, 2001 9:33 am

Hello again. I thank you for your reply. I should have stated that at this point I'd be willing to work with other artists or in an art related job, maybe as an apprentice or anything like that, even a model for artists. What I am saying is, that at this point, I am not just interested in showing off my work, (although that is nice) but willing to work with others in the art field as a beginner. What ever it takes. It's, at least as I keep finding, not the easiest thing to do. I'll keep trying. Thank you again for your time. Nick.
ors426
New User
New User

Postby fountaine » Mon Oct 01, 2001 12:58 pm

Check out www.writersdigest.com and look at their book listings for artists and order on-line or go to a bookstore and pick-up a copy of _Artist's Market_. Look into associations of cartoonists, a librarian can help you with that. Maybe an art museum, local. Use search engines for "cartoonist". Look at cartoonists such as Gary Larson, Bill Waterston,especially their bios for ideas of contacts. Waterston of "Calvin and Hobbes" talks about cartooning industry now in the intros to his books. And Scott Adams. Try local newspapers to develop a portfolio of being published,or nearby college newspapers could use cartoons or illustrators. Find a conference center or someplace that might your drawings to spice up newletters and conference hand-outs. Off the top of my head. If you're intrested in graphic novels, comic books, and anime there's other places to look into, too. LK
fountaine
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby fountaine » Mon Oct 01, 2001 1:08 pm

PS Writers Digest website has into on web-based markets for writers and maybe artist. Do not limit yourself to the web. Art schools, film school need animators or storyboard artists. You could even try doing your small-scale workshop with teens or kids at cartooning to get experience and network. Theaters need set designers and may have connections to the kind of art and illustration you're more interested in. Coffee house or bar hang-outs or galleries. Wander around, be cheerful ask questions, take notes. Newspapers and trade papers and...etc. Too much dependence on Internet sources and contacts does cut out many possiblities. Local civic organizations, you draw in exchange for publicity as you build portfolio. If there is something you love to draw or very good at drawing find clubs or associations with local branches, prepare small brochure or offer to illustrate. Selling one's abilities and looking for employment is itself a near full-time job. LK
fountaine
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Return to Jobs & Income Streams