Side job idea for people who sew, sorta

Need a job? Hate the idea of a job? Want some ideas for alternative ways of earning a living? This is your forum.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Side job idea for people who sew, sorta

Postby fountaine » Thu Nov 15, 2001 7:46 pm

I'm one of those people who likes to sew but doesn't like mending and sewing on buttons. I'm not great at buttonholes either and my machine buttonhole thingy doesn't work. I think I would pay someone to make buttonholes for me. On top of that busy parents might like a clothing mending service. Kids + clothes = tears. Now if someone arranged it with a school they might be able to set up a mending table or drop-off point for kids clothes and a parent could drop clothes and pick it up mended at the end of the day or a couple days later. Only do it a couple days a week so it's controlable. Or set it up at a church near near a school for drop-offs and pick-ups. Make sure to have plenty of saftey pins and bags for ID clothes. If you have an RV or something where you could set-up in a parking lot near the school so it isn't a traffic/safety problem for the school. You could sew during the day for evening pick-up and even go from school to school in a route different days of the week. Or elder care places where they have apartments and do mending and return it later that day or the next day. Or be real adventurous and go to a complex once a week or once a month. Put out flyers and spend a couple evenings a week. Or a corporate campus if you have better quality machine and some tailoring experience. This business could be as small or as big as you want. If someone likes the idea, run with it. LK
fountaine
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Return to Jobs & Income Streams