Getting into Voice Overs as a career?

Need a job? Hate the idea of a job? Want some ideas for alternative ways of earning a living? This is your forum.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Getting into Voice Overs as a career?

Postby WOMANENOUGH » Tue Nov 13, 2001 10:04 am

Hello, I'm Charisse I have a multitude of interests. But does anyone out there know how I can get into voice overs as a career? ------------------
WOMANENOUGH
New User
New User

Postby Robin W » Tue Nov 13, 2001 10:19 am

What exactly are voice overs?
Robin W
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby topatate16 » Tue Nov 13, 2001 1:30 pm

Hello Charisse! This topic was discussed quite a while back. I can't even remember how far back to even tell you to look. However, I remember finding information in "Backstage," the theater news magazine. I noticed that my local Barnes and Noble carries it so you should not have any trouble finding it. And definitely visit www.voice-overs.com Good luck! Robin: voice-overs can be anything from radio and tv spots to bumpers or any message that requires a recorded voice. Usually one without an accent. [This message has been edited by topatate16 (edited November 13, 2001).]
topatate16
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby kalypso » Tue Nov 13, 2001 3:32 pm

Charisse Where are you located? There are two well regarded voice over training programs in San Francisco. This is a pretty competitive, but highly lucrative field. Training helps Image Kalypso
kalypso
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby WOMANENOUGH » Wed Nov 14, 2001 12:41 am

Thank you Kalypso, and topatate16 for replying to my question on voice overs. To answer you Kalypso, I am located in NYC. Thanks again for taking time out to respond. WOMANENOUGH
WOMANENOUGH
New User
New User

Postby kalypso » Wed Nov 14, 2001 9:32 am

Charisse If you're in NYC then you can probably find training programs of some sort. This used to be (like 20 years ago) a fairly easy field to break into, not any more. It's more than just creating a demo type and sending it off to ad agencies, marketing gurus and casting directors and waiting for the offers to roll in Image. I've actually had the opportunity to listen to demo tapes done by pros and by people trying to break into the field. There is NO comparison between the two, and the non-professional tapes were not usually very good. The professional tapes weren't done by people with years of voice over experience, but by students who had taken a couple of training courses and had learned how to create a character with their voice, as opposed to just trying to read copy. You might start by checking out the Adult Ed or Continuing Education offerings at your local high schools, community colleges and universities. Pick up whatever trade publications cover the arts and/or radio in NYC. I've even seen VO offered through the Learning Annex, if you've got that in NYC check it out. Look in the yellow pages under training or schools. There are schools that specialize in voice over and you're in a media market that is big enough to support it. Do a Google search on voice over. It helps to have a little training in how to use your voice. Most of the programs I researched were a couple of months in length with the opportunity to take more advanced classes as I progressed. Voice over classes are not particularly inexpensive, but I thought the price was fair and the 2 schools I checked in San Francisco both helped their students cut demo tapes and helped them target the appropriate casting directors. Good luck. Kalypso
kalypso
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby dublingirl » Tue Mar 05, 2002 12:44 pm

I took a voice over class in NYC about 5 years ago. I can honestly tell you without a doubt that this lady is the best voice over coach around. There are so many myths about this business and so much bad advice. I can 100% vouch for this lady. Ruth Abrams, she works through Cinema Sound Studio in NYC.
dublingirl
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Return to Jobs & Income Streams