Books in Turkish

Turkce ForumKitaplarimi tartismak ve/veya duslerinizi gerceklestirmek konusunda Turkce olarak yardimlasmak istiyorsaniz burasi tam aradiginiz yer?

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Books in Turkish

Postby Zabel » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:26 am

Merhaba everyone of this forum! I am quite a curious person and had managed to get an old copy of Wishcraft in Turkish which was published in 2001. Now unfortunately it is out-of-print. This was its second edition actually.I feel the Turkish company which is quite famous and a pioneer in Self-Improvement had not done a good job in promoting the book. As far I have observed, though, they have no promotional programs in any of their books. They drop lots of translated books every year, popular best sellers even like yours, and Rich dad, poor dad which is now being marketed by another Turkish co. First Wishcraft was categorized under business management books and was named ‘Magic Wand’ and then ‘Our Human Resources’ in the edition I got. The cover is not attractive either. But the translation is ok, not bad. So now I want to volunteer promoting Barbara Sher to the Turkish readers. As a start one very practical method could be subtitling her youtube videos in Turkish-why not in other languages too? Yet I would prefer to have these translated ones transferred on another video program because Turkish government has an ongoing trial with you tube, so normally you cant watch youtube videos here. (I do know the tricks to break it but not everyone). I am not a technical person so I can translate her words, I would require assistance for adding it into the videos. If there are transcripts that would make my work easier, much faster. Also I can start to translate some of the major information on her website. If an icon for Turkish is added somewhere on the main website, English illiterate Turks can read about Barbara and her work. An article on scanners could also intrigue people… Actually I had recommended her books to another Turkish publisher to be retranslated more than 2 months ago. Don’t know if any publisher contacted Genius press until now? For now this is all and look forward to hearing from members of this forum…. Sibel
Zabel
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Books in Turkish

Postby skannie » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:13 am

Ahoj Sibel I've been having similar ideas about promoting Barbara's work in Slovakia where I live. Her books haven't been published here at all yet, and I don't think anyone knows about her, although she already has some fans across the river Danube in Vienna. At a book fair a few months ago I met someone who wanted suggestions of foreign books for her company to publish. I lent her some of Barbara's and she loved them, but her bosses weren't interested. I also tried to persuade a foreign language book shop to stock her books in English and German, but they said they were already overstocked, and only dealt with big distributors, although they could order them for me if I wanted to buy them myself. I haven't done anything more about it yet, but there are other local publishers I could try, or self-publishing might be feasible, and e-books are another option. Unfortunately I can't do the translation from English to Slovak (although I get paid to do it the other way round) so I was thinking maybe the best way to start building up interest is to invite all the English speaking Slovaks I know to an idea party. Then I can show them some books and videos at the same time. I also had the idea of transcribing videos to make it easier for people who aren't native English speakers. But translated subtitles are an even better idea. Maybe I could do the transcriptions for other people to translate. I might be able to do the techy bits too, but Barbara's son Matt is probably the right person for that job as he does all the videos for Barbara. Before doing most of this I think we would have to get permission from Barbara and/or whoever holds the publishing rights in our countries, or work out a deal with them. I guess that might be Barbara too, or a publishing company she has sold the rights to. I don't know much about that kind of stuff, but I think Barbara has an agent who deals with it. So probably the next step would be to write directly to her and ask her. You can PM her here or send an email via the button at the bottom of her home page. Or maybe she'll read our posts and answer us here. I'm sure there would be no problem with translating Wishcraft into Turkish and putting it online as it's already online here in English and Portuguese http://www.wishcraft.com And you could have a website or blog or Facebook group in Turkish where you explained Barbara's work, reviewed her books, wrote articles about Scanners etc. I expect she would allow you to translate some of her material. Do you know about her project for women in Turkey? http://www.kilimwomen.com I'm glad you wrote about this because it's renewing my enthusiasm :-) Ahoj Skannie
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Scanner Tribe Group on Facebook
Scanner Tribe group on LinkedIn
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby skannie » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:02 am

Here are two other places where you can upload and share videos. Maybe they'll work ok in Turkey. http://photobucket.com http://vimeo.com
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Scanner Tribe Group on Facebook
Scanner Tribe group on LinkedIn
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Zabel » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:24 pm

Merhaba again, Thank you Scannie for your wonderful inputs and encouragement. I am glad we have similiar intentions. We can really expand on this issue well... With enthusiasm, brain storming many things can be accomplished to make Barbara and her work become much more known in non-english speaking countries of the world. I am sure other members would also join in this project as we progress. It would not hurt me to do 2-3 pages of translation every week and this could be done simultaneously with you and your friends, so that we get motivated from each other. I see you are a scanner and i think i am diver that could be a good combination too! People's interest needs to be intrigued by providing her interesting concepts, excerpts from her books. But as you also mention I or we cant do anything w/o getting prior approval by Barbara or her staff so I would wait for a feedback. Sibel
Zabel
New Poster
New Poster

Return to Turkish Forum