chercher la famille dans l'andre

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

chercher la famille dans l'andre

Postby vivsim » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:18 pm

Hi my mother is from Chateauroux, France and my parents are going for a visit in April after many years being away. I am trying to look up some family members in Chateauroux, le Champonoise{excuse spelling!), and Orleans. Does anyone know if there is any fr. people searching website I could begin with?
vivsim
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby kdb » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:59 am

If you want to look up people in specific cities, try this: http://www.infobel.com/france/ It's the \"white pages\" of the phone book. BTW, Chateauroux is in the \"Indre\", not \"Andre\" ;-) Also, are you looking in the \"region champenoise\" (Reims would be the main city there), or the little town of Fere-Champenoise?
kdb
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Miss Jane » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:00 am

Also, you may want to look up the Thread titled "France, Holland" on the Freebies and Donations Board. The Author is "zaf". Zaf seems to be offering just the kind of help you're looking for. Regards,
Jane Meade
Registered Success Team Leader
Success Teams LA!
successteamsla@aol.com
Miss Jane
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby vivsim » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:39 am

Thanks to kdb and Miss Jane! I will let you know how far I get with these leads.
vivsim
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

i am out there

Postby zaf » Thu May 25, 2006 2:16 am

hi! Just to let you know I am looking into this. I will contact a French historian asap, he will give us some French insights. back soon, zaf
zaf
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby vivsim » Fri May 26, 2006 7:07 am

oh zaf, i am so excited!! my mom and dad found the phone number for one of her sisters in La Champonoise and they are planning a big reunion in July!! And they invited me to go too! thank you for your leads, very much appreciated. I was just thinking, it seems we all procrastinate going after our wishes and dreams until it's almost too late, but it's really never too late, no matter how old we are or what we can always decide to at least try.
vivsim
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby kdb » Fri May 26, 2006 10:20 am

vivsim, I just got back from France (Paris and Montpellier, in the south). Brace yourself for the high cost of living. The dollar is so low against the euro now that everything is even more expensive for us than usual. But don't let that deter you from going!
kdb
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

france

Postby zaf » Sat May 27, 2006 5:15 am

hi! I am so exited for you! Is there anything I can still do for you? I haven't been able to skype my historian friend, he must be out of town. Let me know if you need anything, I'll try to help you. Zaf
zaf
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby vivsim » Sun May 28, 2006 9:18 am

Thanks. I'm looking forward to the trip, but not the high prices! And we won't even talk about gas! My dad is intending to rent a car but it may be good to think about train, bus, etc.
vivsim
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

big trip

Postby zaf » Mon May 29, 2006 1:23 am

Well, All I can say is don't worry. It is not that bad. If you are staying with family, you can certainly avoid paying too much. They will know where to shop and stay. Renting a car is a good option, France is very car orientated. Public transport is a good second option, but it all depends on where you are going. In cities it's easy to get around, it's even terrible to have a car because of the parking! But in the \"campagne\", in rural areas, public transport is very sparse, and even worse so during the summer holidays! Reims is great! Lovely cathedral, wonderful champagne to be had everywhere, and some very good deals as well. Are you going to travel around a bit? It seems a good opportunity to have a bit of a sight seeing France trip. Paris is really nearby and a good option in July (Parisians will leave the city...it is rather quiet, but there are good summer festivals and things. O, I guess we should continue this thread privately! Let me know if you need anything and I'll see what I can come up with. Zaf http://www.reims-tourisme.com/
zaf
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby vivsim » Mon May 29, 2006 4:21 pm

yes, last time I was in Reims I was too young to drink champagne (7), so it will be more fun and interesting this time! Thanks for the tip about Paris being hopefully less crowded. I do want to travel around a bit so a small car will probably be most logical.
vivsim
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Return to French Forum