LIBERATING THE FRENCH FORUM

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

LIBERATING THE FRENCH FORUM

Postby BarbaraSher » Sun Apr 20, 2003 11:15 am

There's been no real interest here for some time, so instead of bothering Alice to create a new forum, let's take this one over for our soirees on special subjects we're interested in. In a little while, I'll move the topic from General Discussions and we can get rolling. (I just forgot what it's called exactly.)
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Sun Apr 20, 2003 11:16 am

Barbara Sher's Bulletin Boards General Discussion Do you have some unusual interests? (Page 1) profile | register | preferences | faq | search UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! This topic is 2 pages long: 1 2 next newest topic | next oldest topic Author Topic: Do you have some unusual interests? joyous1 Member Posts: 249 Registered: Apr 2002 posted August 30, 2002 02:14 PM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I mentioned to someone my interest in something and they were like "what is that?" so I'm interested to hear if others have interests that make other people's eyes glaze over. To start: animal ethology Egyptology IP: Logged Brigid New Member Posts: 2 Registered: Aug 2002 posted August 30, 2002 08:27 PM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am interested in making bobbin lace, though I haven't done it for ages. IP: Logged Dancinghorses Member Posts: 104 Registered: Aug 2002 posted September 01, 2002 01:50 AM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Joyous1, what's that? IP: Logged OnVacation Member Posts: 188 Registered: May 2002 posted September 01, 2002 11:22 AM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Art dolls polymer clay eco-friendly housing, straw-bale houses the human genome brain and chemical causes for behavior the different ways people handle the same situation any gadget IP: Logged teri@pixiedustinn New Member Posts: 10 Registered: Sep 2002 posted September 01, 2002 08:12 PM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Neurodevelopment and parenting: Raising happy, well-adjusted special needs children who have serious sensory integration, auditory processing, and language processing disorders -- I am *really* boring at parties! IP: Logged Moon Jaguar Member Posts: 92 Registered: Aug 2002 posted September 03, 2002 10:14 AM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Not unusual, but things a lot of women aren't interested in. Robots, rockets, science fiction, animation, comic books come to mind immediately. Also cultural anthropology (I collect/tell folktales), I Ching, various types of oracles used by different cultures, petroglyphs, rock hounding, volcanos (our favorite vacation activity is to go visit a live volcano), wildscaping, ghost hunting. And then there's the usual and more expected interests like jewelry making and animals and so on and so forth. IP: Logged marrocat Member Posts: 91 Registered: Jun 2002 posted September 03, 2002 11:58 AM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Moon Jaguar - can I come and play at your house? IP: Logged twasilew Member Posts: 254 Registered: Sep 2002 posted September 03, 2002 02:42 PM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hmm I didn't think I had any unusual intersets but .. ghost towns castle ruins iced-cappucinos (oh yeah!) Peter Jackson films,indie flicks eco-challenge attics Well I surprised myself IP: Logged ajpor Member Posts: 603 Registered: May 2001 posted September 03, 2002 03:09 PM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Not so much unusual, but boring to my acquaintances and friends... art glass liturgy/ritual energy wordplay old novels writing etymology jean IP: Logged athena New Member Posts: 2 Registered: Mar 2002 posted September 03, 2002 05:30 PM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- My current intertests are: paleontology, astrophysics, geology, science fiction, architecture, evolution, genetics... Gigi IP: Logged Little Lisa Member Posts: 15 Registered: Nov 2001 posted September 04, 2002 10:13 AM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I'm fascinated with iconography, Renaissance sacred music (polyphonic chant), animal behavior studies, mystical texts and traditional arts. IP: Logged TLS New Member Posts: 5 Registered: Jul 2002 posted September 04, 2002 12:52 PM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- strange interests: ecology entomology relativity and quantum mechanics adolescent education archaeology africa biochemistry painting sewing reading languages some odd, and some not so odd, but few of these make for easy conversation! IP: Logged BarbaraSher Moderator Posts: 2603 Registered: Jul 1999 posted September 04, 2002 11:08 PM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Well, you never know. Let's see if we bore each other. What is the jolliest thing you've found out lately (from one of your unusual interests?) I just realized that the Ferghana Valley, home of the "Heavenly Horses" that nearly bankrupted one of the earliest Chinese dynasties and inspired one of the most beautiful sculptures in the world, is way up there in the Pamir Mts.! It took me almost a year to find the Pamir Mts at all -- or to understand that they are the hub of some of the greatest mountain ranges in the world (including the Himalayas). And I always thought the Ferghana Valley was down in the lowlands. How about that?! It brightened my breakfast reading enormously this week. Boring, right? Well, I don't care. I still want to make a playdough model of those places and try to imagine I'm a microscopic creature making my way through the passes. (Different strokes for different folks, right?) Well, tell yours anyway. Let's see how it goes. IP: Logged MDG Member Posts: 1681 Registered: Mar 2002 posted September 05, 2002 06:11 AM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have a husband who loves maps. I mean, he'll sell, or give the kids, all his National Geographics, but he keeps the maps! He'll be onto the Ferghana Valley in the Pamir Mountains like a shot, and won't quit until he finds them. I'll print your post for his breakfast reading, Barbara. Me? I'm enjoying kinesiology, and I've long been interested in organizational behavior, particularly between management and employees. IP: Logged MDG Member Posts: 1681 Registered: Mar 2002 posted September 05, 2002 06:22 AM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Jolly discoveries? Just about exactly where is Ortahisar on the map of Turkey, and lots of photos at corbis.com and elswhere. And that healing energy doesn't come from the individual, but through them. IP: Logged ajpor Member Posts: 603 Registered: May 2001 posted September 05, 2002 09:05 AM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I was intrigued to discover correspondences between Roman Catholic liturgy and pagan worship ritual. I knew that pagan festivals had been "christianized," of course, but to see so many remnants of their worship ritual surviving in my church was cool indeed, as well as finding similarities in Christianity overall. I am always fascinated by similarities found in wildly divergent systems; to me, they indicate underlying truth. jean IP: Logged Moon Jaguar Member Posts: 92 Registered: Aug 2002 posted September 05, 2002 09:21 AM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Wow! What an interesting bunch we are! My jolliest discovery was on our trip to Hawaii, when I ran across a single line reference about one of the petroglyphs... a name, "Kaupe." It's a petroglyph of a dog. Then I tried to FIND the petroglyph (not easy, because the few who know where they are generally don't give out the information (to protect the art). It took me two days to track it down. And then I tried to find out who Kaupe was and why he's associated with the dog. Again, nobody knew... this is a folktale that is "dying"; not being retold, not found in many references. I did find it finally in an older book of legends and did find a few retellings of it here on Internet. (if you're interested, the bottom half of this page has the story: http://www.sacred-texts.com/pac/hloh/hloh17.htm ) IP: Logged BarbaraSher Moderator Posts: 2603 Registered: Jul 1999 posted September 05, 2002 10:06 AM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Wow, what a dinner party/soiree we could have, and only a few of you have weighed in! Maybe we should start one on the boards. I have a hunch it's hard to find anyone to talk to in our closest circles about what fascinates us, but thanks to this good idea by joyous, we may be able to change that. IP: Logged teri@pixiedustinn New Member Posts: 10 Registered: Sep 2002 posted September 05, 2002 01:20 PM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Something jolly... this is a hot topic for me this week... It is OK to be autistic. Autism isn't "bad" -- it is just a different way of being. If you focus on the things that are "wrong" in a child with autism, you come up with a never-ending list of problems that may never be solved and you are never happy with how things turn out. But if you can get into their minds, see how they see the world, appreciate their sensitivity, and are consistent with them, they can enrich your life in ways you never imagined on your own. "Bad" things happen to good people - it isn't a punishment or payback for some previous immoral behavior. It is just life. Life isn't always fair, but civilized, educated, understanding people can strive to be fair with each other... and that includes being fair to people with special needs. IP: Logged Mogget Member Posts: 74 Registered: May 2001 posted September 08, 2002 05:53 AM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Unusual Interests that ted to cause eye glazing or confusion... Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP) Magick in all sorts of forms The Occult Communication with Animals Natural/Alternative/Energetic healing forms Herpetology (snakes!) Traditional Chinese Medicine and Accupuncture Arthouse films (especiall D. Lynch, Hal Hartley and Jim Jarmesch) Iain Banks (and Iain M. Banks) Books Terry Pratchett Books An embarassing amount of enthusiasm for Buffy et. al. Tatoos and Body Modifications Comparitive religions Science Fiction stuff; books, TV shows, movies etc etc. Anything Underwater! Plus a swathe of more mainstream stuff... Mogget IP: Logged Little Lisa Member Posts: 15 Registered: Nov 2001 posted September 10, 2002 10:38 AM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- How about this for the "bore-fest"! Although I've never been interested in martial arts, I discovered that Bruce Lee's form of martial arts (Jeet Kune Do, a synthesis of several forms of MA and founded on Taoist principles)is based on the concept of Economy (of motion, of energy, etc.) which is connected to Thoreau's concept of Economy (of energy in all aspects of life)in Walden which is connected to the mystical concepts in the Bhagavad-Gita (an Indian text based on Hindu principles). Therefore, JKD is based on Mysticism! I'll be taking classes soon! Little Lisa IP: Logged BarbaraSher Moderator Posts: 2603 Registered: Jul 1999 posted January 17, 2003 01:23 AM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I like this thread. Want to add more posts to it? IP: Logged debraji Member Posts: 73 Registered: May 2002 posted January 17, 2003 08:20 AM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Sure! anything Tudor Airedales medieval crafts quilts Utopias human-scaled architecture (i.e. A Pattern Language) the Underground Railroad fairy tales writing fantasy & science fiction lit Christmas houses feudal Japan Polar exploration Renaissance portraits food history pysanky (Ukranian Easter eggs) I used to collect epitaphs from old graveyards. My favorite went like this: Boast not of the day Nor make tomorrow thine For thy life may pass away In sudden death like mine! I just learned that the ancient Celts used to bury their warriors upright, with their shields before them, at river crossings and boundaries, so their spirits would continue to protect the living. Made my day. --debraji IP: Logged cre8ivegrl Member Posts: 77 Registered: Nov 2002 posted January 17, 2003 11:47 AM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am with Moon Jaguar... I love ghost hunting. I once spent the night in the basement of a hotel built in the the 1800s (owned by a friend) with four other girls in search of ghosts. It was fascinating. No ghosts, but the joy that I discovered was not about ghosts. I learned that I have strength and resolve that I didn't know I had. The stay was all fine and good in theory and conversation, but when the night came and we locked ourselves in the basement and began to look around the unfinished parts and start taping our adventure... well, I was scared. Even more so when I knew that it was after 2 a.m. and the bar upstairs was closed and the employees were gone. I can't wait to do it again! Shelley IP: Logged Seeking24 Member Posts: 32 Registered: Dec 2002 posted January 17, 2003 12:10 PM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Blown glass Italian history, particularly the Medicis and Borgias Ethnobotany Collecting vintage desiner costume jewelry Rare books Meditation Travel (Venice, Bermuda, Japan, our own beautiful country) Languages - I want to become fluent in 3 Music-all but rap and dixieland jazz Audiobooks--What a love this has become! History and sociology of food Sustainable food sources Flowers, gardening and flower arranging Resourcing anything for people Oral History and storytelling Bodywork My celtic ancestry IP: Logged Gina Member Posts: 285 Registered: Aug 2001 posted January 17, 2003 02:02 PM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I love libraries. Big, huge, university libraries are the best, but even a little one-room local neighborhood library will do. I worked in the school libraries when I was a kid in two different junior high schools and I think it got into my blood. Once I started reading every novel in the library, starting with the authors whose last names began with "A." (I think this project also ended with the "As.") On trips to Australia and Hawaii and Puerto Rico, among other places, I ended up in the libraries, reading about things like ancient Chinese foot binding (sick fascination, reading about that subject). I love just knowing that I can find ANYTHING in the stacks. I love the old, dusty books that give me a glimpse of what things were like 70 or 100 years ago. I don't care what the subject is -- medical, historical -- I just love books! Tons of them, literally. As a kid, I read all the time, even while climbing a tree or riding my bike (I'm not kidding.) I think if I was on a desert island without a book, I would be pretty miserable. I would have to write my own book just so I'd have something to read. [This message has been edited by Gina (edited January 17, 2003).] IP: Logged hazellight Member Posts: 71 Registered: May 2002 posted January 17, 2003 02:02 PM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I LOVE Star Trek (I find nerds sexy). Especially old Trek and Next Generation. That is unusual in the non-nerd population. I also like offbeat old movies, like "Ikiru" and some modern indies like "Ghost World". I enjoy learning about tax forms, writing anything short, people watching, crime stories and mental disorders, looking at houses and apartments, making collages from scrap paper and other toss-asides, Hindu music and movies, anything comedy, original blues (20's and 30's recording), white blues, I'd love to learn to mix drinks, and comedy morning shows. Ooh and I like oldies music and classic rock (unusual for my demographic, at least according to the programmers). Oh yeah and I love TV shows from the 50s-80s. Especially Columbo and Three's Company. Not too unusual; just not completely into anything up to the minute (1997 - today). I love anything nostalgic (like clothes from the 40's and Frank Sinatra songs). [This message has been edited by hazellight (edited January 17, 2003).] IP: Logged hazellight Member Posts: 71 Registered: May 2002 posted January 17, 2003 02:04 PM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Wow, Gina, I love libraries too!! I can't BELIEVE I forgot that! In my book you are more sane than most people. Although I do have preferences among books, like Fiction over most nonfiction and older over most modern. Nice 2 meet u! quote: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Originally posted by Gina: I love libraries. Big, huge, university libraries are the best, but even a little one-room local neighborhood library will do. I worked in the school libraries when I was a kid in two different junior high schools and it got I think it got into my blood. Once I started reading every novel in the library, starting with the authors whose last names began with "A." (I think this project also ended with the "As.") On trips to Australia and Hawaii and Puerto Rico, among other places, I ended up in the libraries, reading about things like ancient Chinese foot binding (sick fascination, reading about that subject). I love just knowing that I can find ANYTHING in the stacks. I love the old, dusty books that give me a glimpse of what things were like 70 or 100 years ago. I don't care what the subject is -- medical, historical -- I just love books! Tons of them, literally. As a kid, I read all the time, even while climing a tree or riding my bike (I'm not kidding.) I think if I was on a desert island without a book, I would be pretty miserable. I would have to write my own. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- IP: Logged ShauntaG Member Posts: 49 Registered: May 2002 posted January 17, 2003 02:30 PM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have SO many interests that other people think are crazy. My friends and family are always saying...there goes Shaunta on another tangent! Libraries and books...definitely Dog training Self-sufficiency Anything to do with history Alternative health and medicine Organic gardening (I grow my own veggies, even out here in the desert. Wanna talk about people thinking you are nuts??? LOL) Financial independence Paganism, Unitarianism, any kind of religion Special education The list goes on and grows every year! I think my most recent jolly discovery was finally, finally realizing that my AD/HD son doesn't have to "learn" to fit into a regular public school. It's OK to be different and to learn differently than some other people. I've finally figured out that working with his strengths and the way his brain works will result in far less frustration for me and for him! IP: Logged Starfish Member Posts: 20 Registered: Dec 2002 posted January 17, 2003 02:50 PM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Reading these lists made me so happy! I love lots of "boring" things: meteorology, cosmology, geology... I love documentaries and shows like POV. I'm into Scandinavian music, traditional and contemporary and would love to own and play the kantele (Finnish instrument with ancient roots). I'm excited by anything new I learn about how our brains and bodies work. Oh, I love learning about evolution, animal behavior and congition, the interelationships between...well, practically anything. I like any area of study that begins with the prefix "paleo-". I'm fascinated by nutrition. I think "boring" animals like crows are amazing to watch. And I think this is just a partial list.... IP: Logged Going for It Member Posts: 315 Registered: Mar 2001 posted January 17, 2003 03:52 PM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- OK, here goes. I love: - drama - stories, also movies with strong dramatic content - writing (poetry, fiction, non-fiction) - being able to motivate and inspire people - counselling or coaching others - all things spiritual - learning to go with the "flow" and how synchronicity works - sunsets and sunrises, trees, and especially large bodies of WATER (lakes or oceans). - beachwalking - having meaningful conversations with friends or people I just met! - just doodling with colored markers sometimes and letting my inner child come out to play Oops! I just realized that this is for UNUSUAL interests. I can't think of any so my list still stands. Going for It [This message has been edited by Going for It (edited January 17, 2003).] IP: Logged faithkeepers Member Posts: 14 Registered: May 2002 posted January 17, 2003 09:28 PM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If I could find a career with my interests, my purpose in this life would be fullfilled. I love Angels and the art of talking to spirits. I also love crafting, when my hands will allow me, and birds, butterfies, fairies and a monkeys. There is no hope at 48 yrs.of age. chuckle IP: Logged Violin Member Posts: 1353 Registered: Oct 2000 posted January 17, 2003 10:07 PM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I've been told I am "weird" and "funny" because I said I was going to read my new phone manual in bed before going to sleep. I also enjoy reading computer manuals and techie books in bed when I *should* be sleeping. I have a few tricks to save time an money that people have said are "weird and funny". I wear black, not only because I'm from Seattle, and a classical musician with black wardrobe. Black doesn't show dirt (or coffee droplets, lol) so I don't have to wash as often. Another is saving hot water tasks like showering, laundry and dishes to be done in the same time frame to save energy and water. A recent house guest told me this was weird but I think he doesn't understand how frugality pays in the long run. I don't rinse dishes for the dishwasher at all, unless I know from my little dishwasher experiments the food will make a mess in there. I'm always on the look out for the easiest, quickest way to save time, money and effort. [This message has been edited by Violin (edited January 19, 2003).] IP: Logged tapit Member Posts: 115 Registered: Dec 1999 posted January 17, 2003 10:11 PM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Gina- Libraries, libraries, libraries!!! I love 'em. Firends used to joke with me because no matter where I traveled, i always brought home pix of libraries. I now belong to 2 Athenaeums as well as 3 public libraries. Also, public sculpture. Outdoor sculpture. It's led me into a career. I've written several articles for magazines and the web about it and have made a few documentaries. I'm at the start of another video, as a matter of fact. And speaking of documentaries, I LOVE old news footage of anything but war. IP: Logged Seeking24 Member Posts: 32 Registered: Dec 2002 posted January 17, 2003 11:17 PM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- More: After Dinner conversation Babies Libraries, old, new, ivy covered, computer centric, the search , the finding, the lost Photography Fabrics and ribbon, particularly vintage and embroidered or handmade Good wine I love hearing stories of people who have tried hard Freedom Being Irish Dance, I particularly love men that like to dance Hand hewn crafts, especially furniture Magic or the belief thereof, which includes faeries and I love this thread for bringing it all up! Italian history, particularly the Medicis and Borgias Ethnobotany Collecting vintage desiner costume jewelry Rare books Meditation Travel (Venice, Bermuda, Japan, our own beautiful country) Languages - I want to become fluent in 3 Music-all but rap and dixieland jazz Audiobooks--What a love this has become! History and sociology of food Sustainable food sources Flowers, gardening and flower arranging Resourcing anything for people Oral History and storytelling Bodywork My celtic ancestry [/B][/QUOTE] IP: Logged bmaskmaker Member Posts: 334 Registered: Feb 2002 posted January 18, 2003 03:28 PM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I'm interested in "How to" ... I love reading craft and art books, learning and figuring out various techniques ... working with fabric, paper, papier mache, plastic, clay, paint (acrylic, water color, tempera), dyes ... you name it. I want to learn to make my own comfortable shoes that fit my feet. (I have books and have tried a couple of times, but since I'm relearning how to sew it's a little slow-going). When I go to stores and see something I like, my first instinct is usually "Wow, look at how they made that ..." ... I disect it (visually), and then add it to my vast supply of (apparently unnecessary)knowledge. I often don't even need to make the item afterwards ... sometimes it comes out in my art much later ... but often just knowing how is delightfully sufficient. Despite having a very limited diet, I've been known to read cookbooks. I don't really like to cook as much as I like knowing how to cook. (Is this sounding crazy enough yet?) I remember loving Bartlett's Familar Quotations -- a well-worn book on my father's (off-limits) bookshelf. I started reading it when I was probably 8 or 9. I love thrift and 2nd-hand stores. Because in those places I see things on the other end of scale ... "Look what we could do with that ... paint it, then stencil or freehand decorative painting, mosaic tiles or ..." I'd love to fix up an old car sometime. I have none of those skills currently ... often need the manual to find the oil dip stick ... but still I'm sure I could do it ... and think it would be fun. You get the picture. And yes, my friends (lovingly) think I'm nuts. IP: Logged StacyL Member Posts: 276 Registered: Mar 2001 posted January 18, 2003 04:17 PM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- anything Hawaiian old houses from 1700's and 1800's especially old stone farmhouses new paper - notebooks, stationary, sketchbooks, even yellow lined pads - they all hold such promise IP: Logged Alexia Member Posts: 128 Registered: Apr 2001 posted January 19, 2003 12:37 AM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- What a fascinating topic ! I can mention the following 'weirdnesses' of mine: Alternative lifestyles Money-saving devices Cats Journals Notebooks and stationery Ecclesiastical vestments Church music Embroidery - using vivid colours and gold Mind Maps There must be more. I may have to revert on this one. Alexia. IP: Logged turtleflame Member Posts: 91 Registered: Dec 2002 posted January 19, 2003 01:19 AM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- putting messages in bottles and throwing them in the ocean Cross-country trips via Amtrak or Greyhound reading the phone book collecting stickers collecting those pamphlets religious soliciters hand out going to apartment open houses when I'm not moving writing letters to myself at different ages collecting quotes making little signs attached to toothpicks and sticking them in dog poop on the sidewalk reprimanding the owner for not cleaning up after their dog riding a public bus from the first stop to the last stop just to see where it goes same for the subway IP: Logged Azurite Member Posts: 48 Registered: Jan 2003 posted January 19, 2003 10:27 AM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1930’s-50’s American art pottery Bird-watching Wildlife habitats Genealogy Collages Museums Historic houses Mummies Flea markets, thrift, second-hand, liquidator & antique stores IP: Logged This topic is 2 pages long: 1 2 All times are ET (US) next newest topic | next oldest topic Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic Hop to: Select a ForumList of Forums:General DiscussionBarbara Sher's Schedule of EventsKilim WomenIdea PartiesInteresting FindsSuccess StoriesWishes and ObstaclesNeeds and LinksSuccess Teams Announcements ForumSuccess TeamsPick your Favorite QuoteRave ReviewsJobs & Income StreamsWebsite CommentsSpanish Forum (Discusiones en español)Italian Forum (Discussioni in italiano)German Forum (Diskussionen auf Deutsch)Turkish ForumFrench ForumRegistered Success Team Leaders Contact Us | The Official Barbara Sher Web Site All materials on this website are copyrighted by Barbara Sher and/or Smarttrac Computer Systems Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.45c
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Sun Apr 20, 2003 11:18 am

Barbara Sher's Bulletin Boards General Discussion Do you have some unusual interests? (Page 2) profile | register | preferences | faq | search UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! This topic is 2 pages long: 1 2 next newest topic | next oldest topic Author Topic: Do you have some unusual interests? turtleflame Member Posts: 91 Registered: Dec 2002 posted January 19, 2003 01:06 PM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- When I was in high school (ten years ago - before Survivor) I liked to cast imaginary reality shows of people I knew but who didn't know each other. I kept a notebook of lists of different cast combinations. IP: Logged MDG Member Posts: 1681 Registered: Mar 2002 posted April 20, 2003 01:01 PM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Barbara, I searched Yahoo for - "Heavenly Horses", +Ferghana - and I found fourteen sites that mention both those terms. (If you search only for - "Heavenly Horses" - there are 740 sites.) For your enjoyment... http://ca.google.yahoo.com/bin/query_ca?p=%22heavenly+horses%22%2c+%2bPamir Ray didn't see my print-out of your interest until this a.m. Right away quick, out came the atlases, and when they disappointed we were off and running for the computer. That man loves maps!!! Now he is cooking turkey and yams and sprouties, while I tell you of our find. I'm off to look at the 14 sites, and learn some more about those horses. - Mahara IP: Logged BarbaraSher Moderator Posts: 2601 Registered: Jul 1999 posted April 20, 2003 01:24 PM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Ray loves maps?! I'm *dying* to find detailed topological maps that show *why* people took the route from Xian to Lanzhou (lots of reading revealed that they hugged the foot of the Tibetan plateau on their left because the melting snows created oases at the bottom, and they didn't move far from these foothills because the Gobi desert was burning on their right). It took me a long time to figure that out on my own. I understand their route through the across the Taklamakan Desert to Kashgar but then I'd love great, detailed visual computer maps, the easy-to-understand kind like those you see on some weather channels -- to show exactly where the Silk Road path goes after that. I have the closest thing to such maps all over the walls of my little travel room, and I draw them myself or make them out of playdough, using one of dozens of books I own, reading the story of where someone went, when they saw Rakaposhi, when they saw Nanga Parbat, where the Indus smashes through this mad mess, how the major rivers start on the wrong side of the Himalaya range, that kind of stuff, trying to constuct a visual topographic version of their story but I know my versions are pathetic (like 8th and 9th century monks trying to extract and assemble the lost writings of Plato and Aristotle from the fragments in comments made about his works). Where are those maps? I want them so badly. IP: Logged BarbaraSher Moderator Posts: 2601 Registered: Jul 1999 posted April 20, 2003 01:35 PM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Wow! Mahara, that link took me to some great great places that "silk road" alone never took me to. One which adds even more pieces to my understanding of the geography of the silk road. Thanks!!! Incidentally, Turks feel very connected with everyone on the silk routes. Our little village of Ortahisar is said to have been originally settled by 7 brothers from Uzbekistan 800 years ago. They dug the first cave homes in the "mountain" in the middle of the present-day old village. A friend's parents presently live in a half-submerged cave house where their ancestors have lived for 800 years. And the words for "man" and "black" (and many others) are identical from Turkey to Mongolia. But until our involvement in Afghanistan, most maps left all of Central Asia almost blank. Maps folded or ended right in the middle of the area I've been most interested in. (I tear out the maps of every airline magazine). [This message has been edited by BarbaraSher (edited April 20, 2003).] IP: Logged This topic is 2 pages long: 1 2 All times are ET (US) next newest topic | next oldest topic Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic Hop to: Select a ForumList of Forums:General DiscussionBarbara Sher's Schedule of EventsKilim WomenIdea PartiesInteresting FindsSuccess StoriesWishes and ObstaclesNeeds and LinksSuccess Teams Announcements ForumSuccess TeamsPick your Favorite QuoteRave ReviewsJobs & Income StreamsWebsite CommentsSpanish Forum (Discusiones en español)Italian Forum (Discussioni in italiano)German Forum (Diskussionen auf Deutsch)Turkish ForumFrench ForumRegistered Success Team Leaders Contact Us | The Official Barbara Sher Web Site All materials on this website are copyrighted by Barbara Sher and/or Smarttrac Computer Systems Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.45c
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby NT » Sun May 25, 2003 5:41 am

My interests are not 'odd' I think but outdated specially in my age group (40's) and professional circles (IT) here goes: knitting, crochet, weaving, all sorts of fibre crafts and crafts in general
NT
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby American in Paris » Sun May 25, 2003 6:19 am

FWIW, I'm 45 and I think all those are interesting! <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NT: My interests are not 'odd' I think but outdated specially in my age group (40's) and professional circles (IT) here goes: knitting, crochet, weaving, all sorts of fibre crafts and crafts in general<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
American in Paris
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Emmi » Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:37 am

Let's see if anybody finds out what my "boring" interest is: I have got 3 different corydoras 2 ancistrus 1 otocinclus 2 synodontis (nigriventis) 2 Kryptopterus minor ...
Emmi
New Poster
New Poster

Return to French Forum