THE COOKBOOK THAT WILL SEND ANGEL TO COLLEGE

If you want to help with Barbara's dream of teaching e-commerce to village weavers in central Turkey, check in here.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

THE COOKBOOK THAT WILL SEND ANGEL TO COLLEGE

Postby BarbaraSher » Mon Jun 03, 2002 4:43 am

(It will also send 3 other very poor but very smart girls in addition!) We're collecting recipes and taking photos and we now have a very find recipe for Givetch (that's not how the Turks spell it but I don't have their keyboard.) Here's the name of the game: We will describe a beautiful meal. We'll put up photos (here, if we can figure out how to do it! I've got them in a great little electronic camera and they downloaded into my computer easily.) If you like, we will send you the photos and the recipe we feature at that meal but it will cost you a might $5 for this -- uh -- photo essay with recipe. (PayPal is waiting for you.) You pay by PayPal and then we send you gobs of lovely stuff. Or give you a password or somthing. And Angel goes to college! (She going back to the exam preparatory program in September for a year. The exams are very very hard, but the school is nearly free and the only expenses are room, board, books and shoes. (About $150 per month). So sign up and eat like a happy Turkish family in a little garden surrounded by a moonscape. We'll provide the photos and the recipe (and we'll throw in the amazing dessert too! Little golfball-sized golden things, dripping with honey.) You can't lose! Let us know if you're interested right here in this topic.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Catherine » Mon Jun 03, 2002 7:06 am

Yes!! I'm interested! I'll be your first customer! This is a great idea. I get to support women's learning and enjoy new, exotic recipes too. I love trying recipes from other cultures. I ate at a Turkish restaurant once and I LOVED it. I usually only check two boards here (General Discussion & Wishes & Obstacles), and this morning I was inspired by MDG's laptop thread, to pay a visit to this board. I'm so glad I did. And I'm a little ashamed to admit that I'm so narrow in my approach to your bulletin boards. I'm going to turn over a new leaf as of now. Cat
Catherine
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby MDG » Mon Jun 03, 2002 4:36 pm

Me second, please! And please give Angel a big hug of encouragement. We are proud of her, all of you. - MDG
MDG
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby CindyLee » Tue Jun 04, 2002 4:42 pm

Yum, Yum Sign me up CindyLee
CindyLee
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby bluelilac » Wed Jun 05, 2002 9:49 am

Sign me up. Image
bluelilac
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Jun 05, 2002 4:21 pm

You are splendid! We've got the photos in the computer ready to send, and today and tomorrow we're interviewing 3 different cooks on this same recipe. If possible, we'll include all the variations. And then we go after that dessert. Oh those golden golf-sized thingies, dripping with honey, eaten (like many foods at each meal) by everyone dipping their forks into the same bowl. Afiyet Olsen! (Bon Apetit) (sp?)
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby angel » Thu Jun 06, 2002 1:50 pm

Hi Everyone, Thank you.We will send recipe to you.I am very happy.We have a much project.We have a good time here. Much Love Angel
angel
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Catherine » Thu Jun 06, 2002 3:49 pm

Angel, You are VERY welcome! I just finished getting my second B.A., at the age of 40, after a career change, and I will start graduate school in September. I also just finished a year of research on learning: What helps university students learn, and what makes it difficult for them to learn. I think some of the things I discovered would be useful for any student to know. If you\'d like more information, just email me at athenafreespirit@hotmail.com My husband is Persian and he came to North America about 22 years ago. When he was 17 he was smuggled out of Iran in a jeep, racing across the desert with headlights off, bullets flying, as Iranian border guards chased the jeep. Life is hard for people who come to North America from other countries, seeking safety, democracy, freedom, education, a better life politically or economically. I always admire people who have the courage and strength to do this. With all my heart, I wish you well. In a university environment, you will find many open-minded people and good friends. Cat
Catherine
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby MDG » Sun Jun 09, 2002 1:57 pm

Oh dear...clicking this mouse too much and deleted a perfectly good post! Again: I searched Yahoo! - 'cookbook, Turkish' and came up with www.sultanskitchen.com - Turkish restaurant (Boston) owned by chef Ozcan Ozan, author of 'The Sultan's Kitchen: A Turkish Cookbook'. The site, however, is "Still mixing the Masala", yet there are several pages for public input. It looks like they are just testing public interest - 1,695 visitors since January, 2002. abebooks.com offers 10 copies of the cookbook, $15 - $25, Periplus Edition, with exceptional photography by Carl Tremblay. It seems there is room for a Turkish cookbook. One could translate existing cookbooks, if suitable arrangements could be made with the publishers. Or, create variations of published recipes. I think a booklet of, say, three meals, would sell very nicely among the thousands reading this board and their friends, especially since it features regional tastes and customs. The girls are undertaking a lot considering the difficulty of their classes! More power to them! Can't wait to try a recipe! Angel may laugh all the more when she sees MY attempts! But I don't mind... Good Cooking, Ladies! - MDG [This message has been edited by MDG (edited June 09, 2002).]
MDG
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby wpm212 » Fri Dec 13, 2002 8:53 pm

Is this cookbook still available?
wpm212
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Return to Kilim Women