Barbara- Just discovered what this forum is all about

If you want to help with Barbara's dream of teaching e-commerce to village weavers in central Turkey, check in here.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Barbara- Just discovered what this forum is all about

Postby sgoldie » Mon Mar 17, 2003 1:25 pm

Barbara, Re: Kilim Women After much appreciation for your thought patterns, and interaction with the fascinating people on your boards, I have just delved into the meaning of this Killim thing. Fascinating! "On the backs of women, have great empires been built" -me. "The condition of a society in general will be reflected by how it's women are treated" also me. Having put things together from scratch, I agree that it can be done much, much cheaper and with a lot less aggrevation (from paperwork), if it is just 'done'. Here is a thought, that may or may not have been covered previously, and it doesn't need to be non-profit. You can do the PR in the US, for a form of female-tourism-learn an ancient art trips. An inexpensive travel package (contact a travel agent to set one up), where women stay for two weeks in this village of yours in people's homes. They learn the culture and work on Killims, but, they would also be required to trade one of their own skills while there. This could be anything at all. A sort of joint across-the-seas exchange thing. I'm sure it would create a lot of interest, especially if women felt safe to travel, and could stay with other women. So many people these days seem to be hung up with credentialling, certifications, and trying to pidgeon hole people, they have left out the possiblity of those deliciously creative rennaisance types (that we have so admired in the past). Sallie [This message has been edited by sgoldie (edited March 17, 2003).]
sgoldie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Tue Mar 18, 2003 11:56 am

Great idea, Goldie. I'm delighted with your enthusiasm. I'm looking for someone to help me with this stuff. (I did become non-profit, as of last July, by the graces of the kindest, nicest lawyer in the whole world!) Your idea is much like some I've had. I just poured my heart out to a PR person (but she charges a lot of money. I'll go get that email and post it here and maybe people can take one piece or the other of the project to help bring in some money (before I go broke!). I'm so busy, I don't have any time at all, or I'd be doing what I'll tell you about in the next email. And thanks for see the wonderful scope of this tiny but amazing project. You definitely have the heart of a 'maverick philanthropist' who understands 'Plop Philanthropy". (Maybe I'd better post this in General Discussions as well, since you overlooked it so long, which means others might too!)
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Tue Mar 18, 2003 12:34 pm

So glad you wrote, Tami... Here's what I need: Not PR for me, but PR for the kilim project. 1) I need to be on the "giving lists" of corporations (especially Microsoft where I gave 2 free impromptu workshops for women, just for donations -- but never got the donations! ((I also did a paid one later, but that's a different group.)). Since June I've been a legal non-profit and the giving period starts in October. Got to get on those lists soon. 2) I need to work out a plan for publicity that will bring in donations probably by enticing loads of people to the kilimwomen website and thence to the kilims we need to sell -- well, not exactly sell. I think I'll follow the public tv model and offer 'thank you gifts' for donations (I'm not allowed to openly *ask* for donations, incidentally, unless I'm registered in that particular state -- very expensive and time-consuming and really right for only huge operations.). But, like public tv, maybe I could say something like: "And when you donate at X level, you get a beautiful handwoven bookbag made by Lutfiye with one of the ancient symbols of women weavers for 1000's of years -- and in the handspun, vegetable dyes etc. " Like that. 3) I need to get private college girls whose parents didn't lose all their money on tech stocks to pay money to visit the village , learn this ancient women's art and teach computer or video skills, and stay in my house -- on the Earthwatch model where they donate money for this amazing opportunity to be part of the community and help the weavers (who have so little money, even for doctors for their kids) and the young women (who otherwise have nothing much in the way of a future). 4) I need to find out how one would get volunteer help from No. American/European weavers. What I need is only to understand how to set up the kind of weaving-learning experience that would be attractive to students of weaving. I don't think we have anything that would interest a *real* weaver right now (although the experience is fantastic for an amateur). But I'd like that to change. 5) I need a virtual online photo show of the old people's gardens which are rapidly disappearing. 6) I'm already involved in gathering video interviews of the older women, telling stories of their childhoods, showing us the crumbled-cave houses where they were born and raised. I need editors, people knowledgeable enough to teach this skill to the young women -- because I think they could travel to other villages one day to make these precious video histories. 7) I want to create a living museum -- I have my eye on two perfect buildings right in the center of the old part of town where the few tourists come -- where the women can weave and cook and make lace etc. to bring in tourism and create a small retail shop -- and show the video histories (and I want it to also be a virtual museum, on the kilimwomen website!) It will create jobs, bring in a few more tourists (I don't want to flood the town with tourists, ever!) and get the young people (and the men on the mayor's board) to respect the culture that is so rapidly disappearing. Whew. But I'm stuck writing two books and trying to put enough money in the Hands on Hips bank account to pay for present salaries and supplies. The time has come to move to the next phase!! Any takers? (I need people with initiative and imagination, because I don't have much time to hold anyone's hand).
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby MDG » Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:48 pm

Oh, YES! Barbara, I love that you tell us the specifics of what you see. I want to make a little pamphlet on Hands On Hips goals, and there is lots of material on this site I can use. I can think of lots of organizations and individuals who would like to know your vision. Wouldn't it be great to combine this with information about Success Teams?! I can see a nice presentation - The Wonderful World of Barbara Sher! Not on the 'lecture circuit', but in places that have a connection to self-help, a practical and inspirational bent. A free talk or 'show and tell' leading to involvement in any or all of your work. Any one person we talk to may have family connections to 'gifting' corporations, and any number of other resources. Networking at its finest. I write good reports. I will post what I do and what I learn. That may inspire others. There are angels woven into every piece, you know. I wonder if the natural dyes and methods wouldn't interest weavers of every skill level, everywhere. And knitters! their name is legion! There are some great 'back to the Earth' gardeners. Eliot Coleman who grows five vegetables all winter in his unheated New England greenhouse. Ashoka has at least one - Fellow Nasr Y. Nasser of Brazil. Hm-m-m? Talented Tourists? Invited Visitors? Skilled Guests? Resource Corps? Trade Talent for Real Adventure? We'd want couples, too, wouldn't we? Or families with young adult children? Mature fathers might make their own impressions. How about active grandparents? A resident concierge would be wonderful. The whole operation to be small and excellent. And perhaps quite exclusive - a privilege to join. Because it would be, you know. Please alter this post in any way you feel appropriate, Barbara. I'll re-read it to know your preferences. I'd love to be peeking over your shoulder as you write your books. Much energy to you, and affection. - MDG [This message has been edited by MDG (edited March 18, 2003).]
MDG
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sgoldie » Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:20 pm

Barbara, Just to let you know in case of contact. I have emailed the information to the local weaving shop, called North Winds, regarding the possiblity of their study and travel there, and exchange of any personal skills.
sgoldie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby RedBarks » Sat Apr 19, 2003 9:45 am

I know it's been a month since Barbara posted her needs, but here's my quick follow-up to hopefully help some with her numbered bullet-points: 1) Someone else has already started a thread about getting onto corporations' "giving lists". 2) I'm starting a brainstorming thread right now. 3) My spin-off idea is in the brainstorm (study abroad programs, enticing with college credit if at all possible) 4) I don't even know where to start, but if the other volunteer didn't get any good information, I could start looking into this. 5) Have you taken the photos? It might be another good subject of a video too, taking brief tours of gardens and letting them tell you about it. 6) I have never edited video in my life, but I could help put together the narrative script and stuff. I haven't done that yet either, but it's the type of thing I should try if I want to be a copywriter. 7) It sounds like the living museum has its own list of obstacles! Putting together video histories and tours of the gardens would be nice too, and you could sell copies of the videos in the shop. [This message has been edited by RedBarks (edited April 19, 2003).]
RedBarks
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Return to Kilim Women