Hatice translates WISHCRAFT

If you want to help with Barbara's dream of teaching e-commerce to village weavers in central Turkey, check in here.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Hatice translates WISHCRAFT

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Feb 13, 2002 11:16 am

Hatice/Angel just went over to my house in the village and picked up my first book WISHCRAFT: HOW TO GET WHAT YOU REALLY WANT. I have a project going on, in which some Turkish people here in the states are translating some of my books into Turkish as a volunteer effort. I intend to self-publish these books and turn all the profits over to the kilimwomen and college scholarship fund. Hatice, who is very smart, has decided she wants to translate too. I know this will be incredibly difficult -- but maybe if those of you who have a copy of WISHCRAFT available jump in to help when she has a question, that will help her. I\'ll be doing it also, of course, but I\'m traveling and away from computers much of the time. So, if you\'re up for it, let\'s see if this can work! Hatice, you can post the Turkish translation you do right here (and anyone who can read it, will tell us if it seems right) and you can ask questions here, too. If you have a problem, say this (for example): \"On page 32, line 23 the books says \'don\'t try to improve yourself.\' What does this mean?\' And all of us will rush to that page, read that line, and tell you what we think it means. Okay? Well, it\'s worth a try. :-) [This message has been edited by BarbaraSher (edited February 13, 2002).]
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Welly » Thu Feb 14, 2002 5:18 pm

I'd be happy to help when I can, but I might suggest rather than listing a page, to talk about a Chapter, and Heading or Sub-heading, and paragraph starting "Play detective" or whatever. We all might have different editions. Mine is a First Ballantine Books Trade Edition: May 1983.
Welly
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Eliza » Sun May 12, 2002 8:54 am

Hi Hatice, I am a writer and have read Wishcraft many, many times. I speak three languages and know how hard it is to translate. If you have any questions about what something means in English, please ask and I will try my best to help. Elizabeth
Eliza
New Poster
New Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Sun May 12, 2002 9:37 am

Thanks all. There are no new editions. The book has never been re-done. It hasn't been handled well at all since the original editor left in about 1981, though I've tried and tried. (other agents call its treatment "appalling".)
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Sezent » Mon Jan 27, 2003 12:07 am

Dear Barbara; I watched your program at PBS today, it was wonderful. Afterwards I visited your web site and learned about your Kilimwomen project and I admire you more. I signed up for your upcoming workshop in Los Angeles. I cannot wait to attend it and have a chance to meet with you face to face. I am a Turkish woman and United States is my adopted country. Your Kilimwomen project took me back to my childhood. When I was a little girl I used to earn money by weaving rugs especialy during summertime. The pay was 50 kurush (because of inflation kurush is no more a currency, 1 lira = 100 kurush) per 1,000 knots in early 1960s. I guess it must be about 50 cents. I weaved all day long, at least 12 hours a day. It taught me patience and also gave the pleasure and fine taste of creating something beautiful. Your Kilimwomen project is brilliant. I can relate many of the things you talked about in your PBS program. I paid my dues to the nature (as you said), got divorced and finally found my passion, started my own company and I am working with a great enthusiasm to grow my business. I would be happy to help Hatice and others with the translation when they have a questions. I am interested in joining one of the success teams. I could not find a success team in South Orange County area. Is there any? I wish I can emulate your admirable work of empowering women. Love and Blessings. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BarbaraSher: <B>Hatice/Angel just went over to my house in the village and picked up my first book WISHCRAFT: HOW TO GET WHAT YOU REALLY WANT. I have a project going on, in which some Turkish people here in the states are translating some of my books into Turkish as a volunteer effort. I intend to self-publish these books and turn all the profits over to the kilimwomen and college scholarship fund. Hatice, who is very smart, has decided she wants to translate too. I know this will be incredibly difficult -- but maybe if those of you who have a copy of WISHCRAFT available jump in to help when she has a question, that will help her. I\'ll be doing it also, of course, but I\'m traveling and away from computers much of the time. So, if you\'re up for it, let\'s see if this can work! Hatice, you can post the Turkish translation you do right here (and anyone who can read it, will tell us if it seems right) and you can ask questions here, too. If you have a problem, say this (for example): \"On page 32, line 23 the books says \'don\'t try to improve yourself.\' What does this mean?\' And all of us will rush to that page, read that line, and tell you what we think it means. Okay? Well, it\'s worth a try. :-) [This message has been edited by BarbaraSher (edited February 13, 2002).]</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE> [This message has been edited by BarbaraSher (edited January 27, 2003).]
Sezent
New User
New User

Postby BarbaraSher » Mon Jan 27, 2003 6:11 pm

Hi Sezen I'm glad you posted here too so I can get to know something about you. In fact, Hatice is so busy that she's unable to translate Wishcraft. Another good friend tried, but found it much too difficult. If you think you can do it , that would be so great! I'd love to offer the book online to everyone in Turkey for free. If you can help me I would be very grateful and I think we could help many young people -- maybe older people too -- in Turkey. They're such smart, good people and their opportunities outside of the big cities are so limited. Maybe we can help them. I'll be running a workshop on April 19 for KOCE-TV. It will be in Los Angeles, but as close to Orange County as possible because so many people will be coming from there. It will be a great opportunity for you to create a team with people in your area! And since you're so generous to offer to try a translation, I would happily bring you as my guest. Email me if you're interested and we can talk further. Whatever happens, thanks for your kind words and for joining us here. (I'm going to remove your telephone number. We once had some morons mess up the kilimwomen site because they thought we were enemy Arabs or something. I don't want anyone to bother you.)
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Mon Jan 27, 2003 6:25 pm

Oh, just saw that you already pledged to KOCE for the tickets, so I'll think of something else!
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby MDG » Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:23 am

Hooray for anyone willing to try translating! And Hooray for Barbara for another brilliant idea for helping people see opportunities. Sezent, watch what happens at the end of Barbara's Workshop. Get close and listen. This is Barbara's gift. You have never seen anything like it. She has changed my life. - MDG
MDG
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Sun May 11, 2003 8:59 pm

Will wonders never cease. A Turkish publisher put WISHCRAFT out in Turkish some years ago! I have a copy on my desk at this very moment! Wish I could read it! I think I'll get it scanned and put up free on the www.wishcraft.com site like I did with the English language version. Is that going to be a big job? Does anyone know about such things. One of these days I hope to have WISHCRAFT in every language up on my site for free. But it's a tough book to translate. No one outside of a publisher has managed to do it, though many have tried. Anyway, I hope Hatice and Sultan and my Turkish friends read this. Let me know if you need to know the name and the publisher (she's in Istanbul).
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby knitter » Mon May 12, 2003 7:18 am

It would not take too long to put a scanned version of the Turkish edition of Wishcraft on the web. Scanning each page with a flatbed scanner, like the kind Hatice and Sultan use for photos, takes about the same amount of time as using an old-fashioned one-page-at-a-time xerox machine. As the pages are scanned, each one is given a file name and saved (wishcraftp1.jpg, wishcraftp2.jpg, etc.). I'd be happy to design a template web page and instructions for anyone who would like to do this. Making the book website would be as easy as changing a little bit of text on each template page, so that page one of the website showed the scan of page one of the book, and so on. Barbara, please feel free to put me in touch with anyone who would like to take this project further - I'd love to see it happen.
knitter
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Laurie » Tue May 13, 2003 7:20 am

Might PDF be more efficient than JPG for this purpose?
Laurie
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby knitter » Tue May 13, 2003 8:11 am

It depends on what software they have access to on their Turkish desktop PC. I'm pretty sure they can make .jpg files, not so sure about .pdfs. But you're right, .pdfs would be better.
knitter
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Laurie » Tue May 13, 2003 10:45 am

If they can mail it here, I can have it made into PDF pretty easily. Or maybe we can find a Turkish copy in the States!
Laurie
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Laurie » Tue May 13, 2003 10:48 am

Oops - i just reread Barbara's email above and see that she has a copy!! Barbara - if you're willing to part with it temporarily this can be taken care of pretty easily.
Laurie
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Thu May 15, 2003 5:11 pm

Thank you knitter! Laurie, I've sent the Turkish Wishcraft to you this very day!
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Kilim Women