Fundraising and Publicity Brainstorm

If you want to help with Barbara's dream of teaching e-commerce to village weavers in central Turkey, check in here.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Fundraising and Publicity Brainstorm

Postby RedBarks » Sat Apr 19, 2003 9:45 am

I was going to mail these to Barbara, but I suddenly realized how silly that would be. I need to put my ideas here where everyone can pitch in their own ideas and experience! Since this is a brainstorm, I'm just going to toss up what comes to mind and see what flies. Postcards, greeting cards, calendars! The photos on the website are breathtaking, and should be made available for people to share them with each other. Show rugs, the town, etc. and put a sentence or two on the back about kilimwomen.com and the URL. These would be a marvellous gift for donations below what are listed for the rugs, and as additional gifts for higher donations! Does anyone know how to get these things published? We could also call or send direct mail information to non-chain gift and coffee shops to see if they would like to be sponsors in return for a gift to display in their shop and a listing on our Sponsors page. This would especially be appropriate for women-oriented businesses. Perhaps rug shops would also be willing to coordinate with us. Should the numbers grow, we could even split up the Sponsors by location to help people find businesses near them who support Kilim Women and Hands On Hips. I could help create the letters and info for contacting them, especially since I want to build a copywriting portfolio. However, I currently have no idea one goes about finding a list of folks to contact in the first place. We could also have flyers, etc, to post up in appropriate businesses, maybe even trifold flyers people could take home with them. Another idea that comes to mind is a Study Abroad Program. We'd have to contact colleges and see what needs to be done to get them to allow college credit for Women's Studies, Language, Cultural Studies, Anthropology, and possibly even Teaching English as a Second Language -- put them to work for their own college credit! We could then create those programs with enough time and resources. I don't know what kind of professorial qualifications would be required to satisfy the colleges, so I'm hoping all you'll need are solid programs and people who can run them. This idea would take some real homework. If the Study Abroad Program pans out, we could look for scholarship donors and charities. This will greatly widen the potential audience of things donors like to give money to. Also, if we get inroads into the college Women's Centers, maybe we could organize folks into holding ethnic bake sales to raise money and hand out flyers. Dual purpose - a little bit of extra money and publicity at one time? Turkish Community. Tap into the internal culture of Turkey and find helpers and donors from inside the country. I know a wonderful woman from Turkey at work, I can ask her for ideas. After all, it's their country's heritage! Oh, lightning flash, each rug should come with a "certificate" containing a very brief history of the town and tradition, and about the specific weavers who created it, signed by them! Talk about added-value to each donation, a real human-touch AND something for donors to show off when they brag to their neighbors. I've seen enough Antiques Roadshow to know that some people really like documentation for their keepsakes. Kilim Women could also hook up with MyTravelBug.org in a joint effort to find donors for a contest to win a trip to Turkey and write a report about the journey and meeting the weavers. It would create publicity for everyone and introduce new people to the wonderful town. This may be a beautiful partnership just waiting to happen. Taking a more sideways angle, drumming up tourism to the town would help bring more potential customers, as well as increase the value of the Kilim Women project to the town itself. Lines of investigation could be ways to get into the itinerary of Turkey tours, and maybe even emphasize the value of the site to religious communities. The town also has some marvellous history and shrines for Christianity, even if it isn't a site for pilgrims. Just my brainstorm, I'm really floundering on this particular idea.
RedBarks
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby MDG » Sun Apr 20, 2003 12:51 am

Dear RedBarks, I can't quite follow some of your ideas but I surely love your enthusiasm. I'd like to contribute this... Turkiye has oodles of history, certainly far more than any place I have ever lived or visited. There are people who study every facet of ancient times and right up to modern days. The wonderful find of those Roman tile floors before the area was flooded and lost, is only one example of the country's place in the history of the world. Ataturk's vision and efforts are a unique contribution to sociology. Is there some way to link scholars and enhance their interests through sharing? I wonder if we could pool interests and enthusiasms in some way. Each person who knows about some aspect of Turkish life also has connections to organizations and individuals inside and outside Turkiye. People's interests are a powerful strength. Look how far Barbara's interest in tales of the Silk Road have taken her. Perhaps someone could write a book of all they learn by interviewing many people. A photographer could produce a calendar of beautiful pictures of Turkish mothers and their children. (This is a favorite idea of mine.) Children's games and toys can be fascinating, as can gardening, cooking, and home-dyeing of yarns. I have had lemons that have been stored until they were nearly sweet. The caves of Ortahisar are unique and wonderful. All of these things, and countless more, are of interest to many more people than scholars. If we gather beautiful and interesting facts, and present them to the world, don't we draw attention and improve relationships. Even my little PC and limited computer experience finds more about Turkiye than I have ever known. How about a list of website addresses inviting investigation? This could be circulated to clubs and organizations. Simple information, free to all, could ripple outward and draw attention. Who knows where that could lead? Shall we start a thread here where we can store website addresses and a brief comment of what we like about them? We can do a lot with 'Copy' and 'Paste'. Image And, I keep thinking of Ashoka - www.ashoka.org - MDG
MDG
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Sun Apr 20, 2003 9:56 am

Lots of good ideas, all. Thank you! Here are some of the details and what I'm thinking of at this time: I already pay the weavers (in salaries) so much for their weaving that I can't sell the kilims competitively on the open market. What I want to do is one or more of the following: 1) Ask for donations during the "giving" period with programs available at a number of corporations (among them, Microsoft, for example.) For these, one person makes a donation and gets the name of the non-profit company Hands on Hips, Inc. on their "giving lists". Then people can send donations and the company will match funds. 2) Ask for independent donations in the way public TV does it: you send your donation at the level of the gift you'd like to receive. (We're just putting the page up next week). That is, if you pledge at the $80 level we'll send you a thank you gift of a pillow cover (with your choice of symbol) (And I definitely do want a tag with the weaver's story, the symbol explained, and something about the whole project. It's a great idea and one I've dreamed of for a long time, though I didn't think of it for authenticity, only to put a human face on the beautiful, lovingly made items. I think the authenticity idea is excellent. Maybe it's time to open up a brainstorming on how to get these tags/booklets designed and produced and who can help me do both?) Incidentally, I have about 5 very large, one-of-a-kind, absolutely breathtaking, finely-woven (they must have taken a year to weave!) vintage/antique kilims for a *really* high pledge amount. Can we mix these ideas in with the excellent ones offered above? (I'll go look at them and answer in more detail as soon as I have a moment.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Sun Apr 20, 2003 9:59 am

"Postcards, greeting cards, calendars! The photos on the website are breathtaking, and should be made available for people to share them with each other. Show rugs, the town, etc. and put a sentence or two on the back about kilimwomen.com and the URL. These would be a marvellous gift for donations below what are listed for the rugs, and as additional gifts for higher donations! Does anyone know how to get these things published?" Yummy idea. Explain more, please. Like, 1) these would be gifts for smaller donations, for example? 2) Should we do them online, like those birthday cards you can send people?
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:05 am

More great stuff, RedBarks! "Kilim Women could also hook up with MyTravelBug.org in a joint effort to find donors for a contest to win a trip to Turkey and write a report about the journey and meeting the weavers. It would create publicity for everyone and introduce new people to the wonderful town. This may be a beautiful partnership just waiting to happen." I love this. Tourism has collapsed in Cappadocia right now, probably in all of Turkey. Who has the time to contact these people (or people like them) to see if this is a possibility. I love it. (Part of my dream was to buy a building for a Living Museum for the village, to create more jobs for the women and bring tourists)
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby MDG » Sun Apr 20, 2003 1:08 pm

Okay...how about this...? Re: the PBS-style pledge (#2 above) Offer corporations gifts of: - - Large kilims, to decorate their corporate offices, or for other uses, - - Barbara Sher seminars/Success Teams for their employees, - - Other valuable gifts, such as a trip to Turkiye for two, or four. (Some corporations would love their people to know more about other countries and investigate opportunities first-hand.) ...For pledges of $XX,XXX or more. This pledge drive could be announced to specific corporations in beautiful letters. Noted interior decorators could also be sent letters, in case they or their corporate clients would be interested. (There could be a limited number of these gifts available this year, so Hands-on-Hips might have to limit the number of gifts offered - a little bit of urgency there? Or, these few gifts could go for auction-like bidding.) - Image - [This message has been edited by MDG (edited April 20, 2003).]
MDG
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby MDG » Sun Apr 20, 2003 1:33 pm

Copying my post from General Disscussions... "How do we get the first person in a corporation to donate?" Through their hobbies and outside interests. If they love the fiber arts, if they love stories of adventure and "Heavenly Horses", if they love Turkiye and/or want the women of the world to be recognized for their traditions, intelligence, and good hearts...well, they might happily share a little of their cash. Isn't that a good idea, one employee donates, and asks the company to match it. Then everyone else in the company gets to hear of the project, too. Hm-m-m-m... Maybe one employee would donate just because they love and trust Barbara Sher! Maybe some would be inspired to begin the donations just because the Hands-on-Hips logo catches their fancy, the way Helen Reddy's 'I am Woman' did! - Image -
MDG
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Sun Apr 20, 2003 4:44 pm

Lotta good ideas, MDG. I was answering the one about history and Christianity before and decided we'll have to wait a little while for that, because of what's going on now. But there are so many cave churches, often with painted ceilings, most with beautifully carved pillars - when I get back to NY remind me to put up some new photos and a link here. Crazy Ali took us on a full moon walk to one on his father's land, went inside and lit many candles before we came in. It was incredibly beautiful and the acoustics were stunning. I sang a quiet, pretty little song, can't remember what it was, and the sound was just gorgeous. Turkey has some of the most remarkable archaelogy and history of anyplace in the near east.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Sun Apr 20, 2003 4:48 pm

MDG, interesting idea to contact interior designers who work in corporations. Now how would we find these people? In architectural digest? Where are the feature articles about corporate design? Also, I'm forgetting the name of the department that deals with donations. Anyone remember. Approaching them directly might be a good idea. Now, what would a logical business be? One connected with fiber arts? A mill? They'd get some nice publicity for it, wouldn't they?
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Sun Apr 20, 2003 4:51 pm

Incidentally, I was contacted by someone in the Rotary Club and he's been trying to make contact with Rotary Clubs in Turkey, but I don't think he's having much luck. There's also a very nice woman from Vancouver who wants to go in August and is trying to do fundraising for a donation as well as paying for her own transportation. That's what people do with Earthwatch: they make a donation for their visit. Their visits help fund Earthwatch. Hmm. Wouldn't it be wonderful to invite volunteers who know something about living museums? Well, first I need enough money to buy the building. Slowly, slowly.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby MDG » Mon Apr 21, 2003 4:55 am

One way to get names of specialized businesses, services, etc., is to buy a list. There are companies that sell lists on almost every subject. Over so many thousand names, the cost, the last time I looked, was 14 cents per name. That got you a printed mailing label for each name, or you could buy it in other forms. Telephone numbers, fax numbers, and probably email addresses are available. If they don't have the list you want, they will find one, or even build one, for you, for a fee. You state the area, etc. I bought 5,000 each of households across Canada with an annual family income of $50,000 and more; households earning $100,00 and up; and pet owners. (I still have most of them. The sales promotion I was using worked only with an earlier, proven, list.) My list supplier was B.J. Hunter, in Canada. They send out catalogues of the lists they have in stock, and they tell you how many names are in each category. A list buyer might want to limit the selection in some way, to assure that the names are the most appropriate for their purpose. Also, small business assistance organizations have access to many kinds of lists of businesses, possibly for free. I would think there are many lists around of companies known for their donations to charitable causes. It might take some sleuthing to find interior decorators serving large corporate clients, but a letter of inquiry could be sent to likely decorating firms. It is a very good idea to include firms with products related to kilims, fiber arts, etc., for they would surely appreciate any advertising they could get, but there are other companies which would appreciate other aspects of our plan. What company would turn down an opportunity to have excellent motivational training for their staff, if the cost coincided with their charitable donations budget? It might be wise to research architectural firms to see which decorators they suggest to corporate clients. These tasks may take a lot of effort, but perhaps they could be broken down by city, and shared by many volunteers. Telephone books could be useful, but this route would also take many volunteers. What about libraries? And the Internet? My brain is starting to cloud over, but the best route I can think of is to advertise your corporate offer where the individuals in your chosen corporation(s) will see it. It may seem silly to say it, but, if you decide that you want to approach, say, vice-presidents of companies of a certain size, or in a certain industry, you'd need to find who those people are, or where they go. You might buy a list of names, target publications they read, places they frequent, products and pastimes they favor, or people they know. I'll have to do some more thinking on this to give examples of what I mean. Somewhere out there are the perfect people to reach and teach. Finding them, easily and inexpensively, is the task.
MDG
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Vict » Mon Apr 21, 2003 9:46 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BarbaraSher: <I>"Postcards, greeting cards, calendars! The photos on the website are breathtaking, and should be made available for people to share them with each other. Show rugs, the town, etc. and put a sentence or two on the back about kilimwomen.com and the URL. These would be a marvellous gift for donations below what are listed for the rugs, and as additional gifts for higher donations! Does anyone know how to get these things published?" Yummy idea. Explain more, please. Like, 1) these would be gifts for smaller donations, for example? 2) Should we do them online, like those birthday cards you can send people?</I><HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I'd like to see real honest-to-goodness paper postcards and notecards (calendars might be dicey as they have a built-in expiration). Boxed sets can be for sale on the website (more affordable than a kilim, but still income-generating) and also used as a gift for donations. The same way one can buy your book for $20 or get it with a donation to PBS. [This message has been edited by Vict (edited April 21, 2003).]
Vict
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby RedBarks » Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:49 am

I'm sorry I disappeared for a few days, my computer died and work's been crazy. I'm going to start numbering the current ideas so we can refer to them easily: 1) Earthwatch Model: First, we'd have to design the details of the program, borrowing heavily from www.earthwatch.org. Second, we would have to design an informational web page and letter/brochure/package containing these details. Third, we'd have to find ways to get the word out. Mailing Lists may be a good idea, and we really need to find out how to get the word out on the internet. -- A Press Release and news/magazine article would be a great way to get publicity. Once we have the details, I can create that as part of the informational package. We'll still need to determine to whom to send them, but that's a third-step issue. 2) Human Face/Authenticity Tags: I'll design them, just let me know the format you want (i.e. full page, half-page, two-sided brochure, etc.) and what you want them to say (i.e., four sentences or so about the history of kilims, three sentences about the history of Kilim Women, three sentences about the weaver, one picture and blurb of each design included, perhaps a picture of the weaver, where the materials were produced, the date the rug was begun and how many days it took to weave, etc.). Once we have it designed, all we'll need is a printer and the right type of paper for the project. -- It may be best to have one stock design in an easy-to-use format that's widely available, and another document that you can copy/paste from depending on who wove it, what the designs are, etc. That way it would be quick and easy to modify on-the-spot regardless of technical ability or software. -- As for format, a letter on letterhead may be easiest and cheapest. I think there are lots of places online that will sell custom letterhead and envelopes for not-too-much money. We can look into it if that's what you want. 3) Greeting Cards: I'd like to see paper-in-hand cards, the way Vict described -- available as gifts or as boxed sets. It wouldn't hurt to also have the online-free-greeting cards for publicity, it would only take programming finesse. I'm not sure what the laws are governing "putting things up for sale", since you indicated there's special rules for nonprofits that aren't registered in every state they're up for sale. However, if it's via a website, could you just be registered in the "home state" of the website and not have to register in every stae? -- These would be easy to design, just pick pictures and I can easily design the back of the card. Actually, I'll do that as soon as I get time, and pick out my favorite pictures too. Do you have a "tagline" for Kilim Women/Hands on Hips you'd like me to include on the back, or should I start pitching some? -- Inside of the card: My original thought was to leave them blank inside. We could offer those, as well as ones with messages. Would Crazy Ali be willing to let us use some of his poetry for greeting cards? I could write poetry, but that just wouldn't be the same. 4) MyTravelBug.org: I've dropped them an email and let them know about this thread. They'd posted looking for ways to increase publicity for their own charity, so they may be interested. 5) The idea of special offers to corporate donors is an excellent one. Barbara, let us know what you think you could offer, and at what donation schedule. Also, pick a special bonus to the one who pledges the most. Once we get the details, I would be very happy to draft the letter, and help create the informational website. Well, writing the copy for it, since my web-programming skills are very very rusty AND outdated, though they're okay in a pinch. 6) Contacting corporations -- I can't believe I didn't think of this before. My father-in-law is an executive for Georgia Pacific's main office in Atlanta. He was something like the head of Human Resources for the Paper Products division last I heard, I can't keep up with his promotions. I'll ask him this weekend if he has any ideas regarding who we'd contact for his company, presuming it may be similar for others. The "lists" idea is another great one.
RedBarks
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby RedBarks » Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:19 am

Greeting Card Design Brainstorm: Front: Picture Inside (cards): Blank, or poetry by Crazy Ali, or a proverb (below are some that I’ve found on the web) Back: [Hands on Hips Logo] Hands on Hips [Hands on Hips “motto”] www.handsonhips.org www.kilimwomen.org Postcard Design Brainstorm: From: Picture Top-left of Back: [Small Hands on Hips Logo] Hands on Hips, [motto] www.handsonhips.org * www.kilimwomen.org Bottom-Left of Back: Maybe include a proverb, or just leave it blank. Could also include a proverb on the front, above or below the picture. A quick Yahoo! search for the word “postcards” showed several places that offer postcard-printing services just online. I imagine it wouldn’t be too difficult to find printers for cards. Proverbs: The arrow which was thrown, the word which was told and the life which was passed never turn back again. Work as if you will live forever; act as if you will die tomorrow. A wise man remembers his friends at all times; a fool, only when he has need of them. Kind words will unlock an iron door. A fool dreams of wealth; a wise man, of happiness. A good companion shortens the longest road. [This message has been edited by RedBarks (edited April 24, 2003).]
RedBarks
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby MDG » Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:34 am

My goodness, Barbara, Talking about these subjects certainly is an education! Let's see if I can say all the doors I've opened in just the last few minutes of poking on the Internet. I searched for "Corporate charitable donations", and clicked on this one... www.epolitix.com/bos/epxnews/000004CCB5F.htm I got the following text, and much more on the subject... Published: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 03:00:00 UTC Forum Brief: Charitable donations A government plan to persuade companies to give to charity has backfired, according to new research by the Charities Aid Foundation. Chancellor Gordon Brown indicated that changes to tax relief, announced in his 2000 budget, would boost charitable donations. But, according to the research, within a year of the reforms being put in place corporate donations fell by £78 million. Forum Response: SANE Marjorie Wallace, chief executive of SANE, told ePolitix.com: "Like most other charities, SANE is profoundly disappointed that initiatives, far from encouraging companies to give more, have actually meant less corporate giving. "With the drying up of other sources of funding, this has meant a serious loss of income, putting valuable services at risk." Forum Response: RSPCA A spokesman for the RSPCA told ePolitix.com: "The RSPCA is not a great recipient of the sort of corporate donations referred to but companies are obviously having a hard time with stock value losses and a potential slowdown in the economy and will be looking to review their charitable associations anyway. "It is unfortunate that a potentially beneficial tax change in a part of their business which is not always top of mind should this have coincided with more pressing concerns. "It's a difficult time for all at the moment, but well run charities will weather the storm in the same way that well run companies will. The sad out come though is that many charity beneficiaries across the full spectrum of charitable work will not receive the help they need." And, so on... ******************************************** I also looked for "interior design", +corporate, got some 1,800 sites with these words, and "corporate interior design" which got me 850 sites. I think we could make a substantial mailing list from these. ******************************************** I looked, too, at "living museum", and my light went on! Of course! I've seen those! And you have mentioned them often enough! It sometimes takes a while for my penny to drop. Image Will you search "straw-bale", +Turkey ? There are hundreds of sites that talk of these sturdy, inexpensive buildings (in Turkey, too, I believe), as proof against earthquakes and floods, I think. They are also comfortable year-round, and can be built in any style you like, even two-storey! (I am in love with straw-bale houses, as you can see. And the remarkable reed roofs they are building in Holland. I love cottages with deep windowsills. Image) Wouldn't it be interesting to combine this totally unique and charming building style with the underground rock dwellings and fruit storage? Carved out churches and homes would combine to satisfy any tourister's visit. Are oblong straw bales as difficult to get in Ortahisar as timbers? I'll bet some of the Ashoka Fellows would know about alternative building styles. There may even be a program they fund that would help! You should be nominated for an Ashoka Fellowship yourself! Image I am going to whistle over there, www.ashoka.org , and look up 'Turkey' and some other things... Isn't it amazing what you can do with a computer, even in your jammies?! Luv this. Mahara [This message has been edited by MDG (edited April 24, 2003).]
MDG
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Kilim Women