Fundraising and Publicity Brainstorm

If you want to help with Barbara's dream of teaching e-commerce to village weavers in central Turkey, check in here.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Postby RedBarks » Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:58 am

I've got it! For Postcards and Greeting Cards: Create a collection of a dozen different symbols, each woven with a different variety of thread. Use close-ups of each symbol for the photo on the front. On the back along the bottom, the card will read: "Symbol: meaning" Now I'm going to go look at those straw-bale houses...
RedBarks
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby MDG » Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:43 am

Barbara, Here are some folks you might like to know... http://www.ashoka.org/global/aw_ce_turkey.cfm - Image -
MDG
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby knitter » Fri Apr 25, 2003 7:34 pm

Wonderful ideas! For cards to look as good on paper as on the web, we\'ll need to use much higher resolution images - the 72 dots per inch of a web image looks fuzzy in print. (This doesn\'t have to be a great problem - I remember teaching Hatice and Sultan how to reduce the resolution when they first started the weblog-saving or scanning a hi-res version isn\'t any more difficult...) There are companies that print cards of good quality for not very much money. Artist friends and family have had good luck with a company called Modern Postcard (http://www.modernpostcard.com) - they make various sizes of postcards and folded cards for prices starting around $120 for 500, last I checked. They also sell matching envelopes, but postcards might be a more flexible option. If you could pick only one image, which one would you choose? (That\'s where I always have trouble... I like them all. Please pass everything! Image )
knitter
New Poster
New Poster

Postby RedBarks » Sat Apr 26, 2003 4:36 pm

I'd love to offer both postcards and greeting cards -- matching envelopes is a fabulous idea! For pictures, I still really like the collection of symbols idea, I think those will really "grab" folks. It also feels collectible. I also have picked out my top six from the website, because I couldn't narrow it down to one... Red Valley 2 (ibrahim9.html) - Looks almost like an old parochial watercolor Red Valley 3 (ibrahim10.html) - Good mountainous view, though perhaps lacks some of the extra-scenery of 2 Red Valley Evening (ibrahim11.html) - A stunningly stark picture, I love the blue, black and white The Old Village (oldtown.html) - Fabulous as a travel postcard to have in Turkey The West Wall of the Loom Room (looms3.html) - A lovely corner-piece A Nomad's Art (nomad1.html) - A beautiful rug, and her face shows great character (it's also one in which she's smiling) The Fourth Kilim (nomad4.html) is also good. Well okay, and I like the one with the goat (nomad5.html)... I like goats! (edited to add the pages each are on at www.kilimwomen.com ) [This message has been edited by RedBarks (edited April 26, 2003).]
RedBarks
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Jezicka » Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:09 pm

Postcards are a great idea-- my husband & his brother had two designs printed when we were still in Prague-- his brother did the paintings and I translated Petr's poems for the back. Is there some marketing person who could advise on doing a traditional 'paper' fund-raising campaign? My mother's been to Turkey and loved it-- I'm sure she'd interested in Kilim Women, but although technophobe she's not the kind to investigate projects on the web, and she certainly wouldn't make a donation over the web-- there are probably a lot of people like her in that way. I don't know if the Council on Foundations includes 'micro-charities' -- but I would think with the growth of the idea of 'micro-loans' there might be some kind of organization that provides help, funding and advice to very small charities. How about contacting the founder of ModestMeans.Org for ideas? And how about NPR? That's how I first heard about Modest Means. The Earthwatch model is used by a great many organizations-- lots of international workcamps and volunteer groups-- and several schools-- can't remember the name of it, but one French school that teaches people restoration work by having them work on ruined castles-- I think it's largely financed by tuition. Come to think of it-- lots of 'study vacations' do this too-- I can't remember whether you're already offering courses to English speakers, but if not, that's another possible money-maker. For postcards and other projects-- can you sell them through Co-op America or 1000 Villages? There are probably other organizations that sell products produced by small cooperatives and other groups. I would really like to have a brochure to show people.
Jezicka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby RedBarks » Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:27 pm

Excellent feedback, Jezicka, thank you! Here is what I'd like to create for Kilim Women. Actually, instead of just wanting to, I'm going to start doing it this week and hopefully have something solid to propose on Monday. I've been working hard at trying to start up a moonlighting freelance commercial/corporate writing business (hoping for full-time someday), so it's been splitting my focus. 1) Kilim Women brochure. Contents: Brief story, outline of weaving, computer and English schools, how people can help. 2) Kilim Certificates Contents: Brief history of kilims and Kilim Women, interchangeable paragraph about the weaver, interchangeable paragraph about the symbols used and where the materials came from. Needs: I can create the brief histories, but I will need to do a mock-up with dummy info regarding the second two paragraphs. I can create the different versions that will be pasted in depending on the individual rug, but I'd need the information. 3) Corporate (and individual?) Pledge Drive Content: A letter and specialized brochure outlining the special gifts and services available for this pledge drive. Hopefully, a "grand prize" will be available for the top donor. It may be nice to have a sub-page on the Kilim Women site providing a list of corporate donors, but not necessary. Needs: I don't know whom to contact for pledge drives. I've contacted my father-in-law at Georgia Pacific, and I'll share what I can when he gets back to me. Also, I'll need to know what we can offer for the pledge drive. 4. The "Earthwatch Model" of people donating to be able to travel to Turkey and help out at the school. This looks like it'll take the most research and development for me personally, so I've put this last on my personal list for volunteering. This doesn't include the greeting cards and postcards idea. Maybe I should try opening photoshop or something and just create files, then save them in a format I could upload to my site and link to here. I have definite pictures in mind that I'd like to suggest...
RedBarks
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby RedBarks » Thu May 01, 2003 10:26 am

I have access to Microsoft Publisher at work, so during my lunch break I mocked up the greeting cards and postcards. I don't see a way to really show here what I came up with, so I'm going to "explain" what my proposal is for one of these by providing links. FRONT: http://www.kilimwomen.com/images/ibrahims/RedValley2.jpg INSIDE OF GREETING CARD (top-fold): "A good companion shortens the longest road." - Turkish Proverb BACK OF GREETING CARD: http://www.theirlanguage.com/kilim/card-back.html BACK OF POSTCARD: http://www.theirlanguage.com/kilim/postcard-back.html The text on the backs may be a little small. If so, let me know and I'll make it bigger. Once designs are chosen, it sounds like there are ways to get quotes on getting them printed. We could get original photos scanned in high-quality and set them up. The nice thing about Microsoft Publisher is that it looks like it can export the design as a ready-to-print file for commercial printers.
RedBarks
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby RedBarks » Thu May 01, 2003 10:32 am

I've drafted my concept of a Kilim Certificate of Authenticity. Here it is as a webpage showing only the text: http://www.theirlanguage.com/kilim/kilim-certificate.html And here it is as a Word document, including my mock-up of letterhead (since I don't know what the Hands On Hips letterhead looks like, but wanted to see how it would look "printed"): http://www.theirlanguage.com/kilim/kilim-certificate.doc [This message has been edited by RedBarks (edited May 01, 2003).]
RedBarks
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Jezicka » Sun May 04, 2003 7:02 pm

Lovely, RedBark! Great job! A couple of quick comments-- I think perhaps the postcard back needs the line down the middle and the stamp square-- but those are easy enough to put in. The whole idea of the certificate and the way you've worded it is very nice. I need to go back and read it again carefully and then I may have a couple of specific-- rather minor, really-- suggestions. I'll try and do that tomorrow. I think it would be nice to have a number of postcards, including some of the rugs themselves and the rugs with their makers working on them. I've got a bunch of graphics and project software on my new computer-- I'd like to get a couple more pics off the Kilim site and try out a few if that's okay with you-- Thanks again for posting the beautiful examples!
Jezicka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Tue May 06, 2003 11:50 am

Whew! You guys are great. And fast! I've been ducking in here and out again without answering because I knew it would take more time than I had. The little I've been able to take in has been very helpful. I love the idea of a certificate of authenticity! Never thought of that. I have a WACOM tablet and a graphic artist friend is coming over this week to help me do the following: 1) design tags to attach to the pieces that explain the symbols and show each tag online. 2) and/or create a little (online) 'book of symbols' so people can begin to order custom-made if they like 3) create an online photo-story of each of the weavers 4) create an online catalog of every piece I have available in the U.S. (which is the only place from which I can presently ship inexpensively -- getting everything shipped cheaply is a problem that must be addressed.) Now, help me understand about the postcards etc. They are for mailing out as a kind of advertising to bring in orders? For putting on tables during a conference? I k now you probably explained but I can't find it and am a bit rushed I fear. Problem: There's no budget for the following: a) printing b) postage c) assistant to do mailing
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Tue May 06, 2003 11:57 am

I'd like to see real honest-to-goodness "paper postcards and notecards (calendars might be dicey as they have a built-in expiration). Boxed sets can be for sale on the website (more affordable than a kilim, but still income-generating) and also used as a gift for donations. The same way one can buy your book for $20 or get it with a donation to PBS." I see. These are items to be offered for sale or as gifts to thank you for donating. How about a low-priced kilim product? Like a one inch belt (with no buckle, just to be tied around the waist?). I think they could turn out yard-long ones rather rapidly. (Now, how to get them here?!)
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Jezicka » Tue May 06, 2003 12:28 pm

How about this? We agree on a number of 'official' designs-- RedBarks are a great start-- for notecards, postcards-- maybe one or at most two designs for a brochure and authenticity statement-- a standard 'thank-you' kind of letter-- and then make them available-- with an agreement similar to the 'shareware' or 'freeware' agreement for programs so that people can't appropriate or make massive changes to designs and giving credit to designers. They can be 'made available' either on the web for download (possibly with a password)-- or you can send people who request it a CD. Then those who download it or get a CD can use the designs and have however many they can afford to made up at their local print shops and send them out at their own expense. I think this should be similar to situation where you donate goods to a charity and we should be able to take a tax deduction for it, as long as we document the expenses. An alternative is to offer a specific payment for the work, but on a 'rain check' basis -- after certain specified priorities are met people will be paid as funds become available. Comments? (I'd REALLY like to have something physical in hand to show my Mom and sister.)
Jezicka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby RedBarks » Tue May 06, 2003 5:36 pm

Barbara - Smaller pieces like belts are a fabulous idea! Having lower-cost items to reward people for small donations should really encourage people who can only give at a low level. (I'm also picturing placemats and welcome mats.) I hope you and your graphic artist friend have a very productive weekend, each of the things you listed will be great to see, and will give us more material for creating brochures, etc. As for printing, once we have the designs set up for postcards and greeting cards, etc., then we can see if we can't get some printing donated. Jezicka - I look forward to your suggestions! Since you have software for it, do you want to use what I outlined for cards and play with it? It'll of course be best once we can get our hands on some higher-resolution pictures, but that doesn't need to slow down the design process. I have a lot going on this week, so I'll get started on the brochure later when I can. I'll save my ideas in an MS Word format that could be printed out on any printer. Who knows, maybe we could get some brochure-related donations for printing or even just paper and ink. The idea of making all of these things into a format that people can print themselves is a good one, too. You just never know what you can get until you get all set up and ask!
RedBarks
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Jezicka » Wed May 07, 2003 9:45 am

RedBarks-- Thanks, you sparked a minor breakthrough by reminding me that I had promised to read over the Certificate carefully. From now on, I\'ve decided that I need to write it down on my to-do list right away whenever I make a commitment to do anything. Guilt over completely forgetting to do something I\'d promised has been a major drag on me for years! All the things I marked are little nit-picky things-- nothing crucial, so feel free to ignore any or everything. 1st paragraph: maybe \'a Turkish rug style\' instead of \'in the style of Turkish rug\'? 2nd: suggest \'a vertical warp and horizontal weft\' -- I did a little weaving lo-o-ng years ago and I think maybe warp and weft refers to the whole thing and the individual threads are referred to as warp and weft threads. (It\'s all so long ago-- not sure about this :-) ). 3rd: Hmm. \'..and to carry personal meanings..\' -- I dunno -- maybe \'as a personal expression\' or \'an expression of their own individual artistic sensibility\' --can\'t quite think of just the right phrase here... 4th -- take out \'return\' here-- when I first read it I thought you meant return to the village. Try \'then resell them for a great deal more money at their own shops.\' 5th: Tourist Information Office -- (I have a personal vendetta going against slash marks. Don\'t know anyone who says \'A slash B\' in conversation and I hate to see the spoken language drift too far from the written. It irritated the hell out of me to have to learn a whole different grammar for spoken than written Czech!) Also suggest \'at each end\' rather than \'on each end\'. Last paragraph-- Can we say WHAT plants were used, or would that be giving away the secret? I know my sister, who gets a rapt expression on her face at the very mention of a plant name, would love to know! Thanks again RedBarks -- and I\'m putting it on my to-do list right now to have a look at what I can do with my postcard and other projects software.
Jezicka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby RedBarks » Tue May 13, 2003 5:35 pm

Yay, I got an evening with a computer! I've borrowed one, though I should get the parts in later this week and be able to fix my own computer this weekend. Thanks again for your suggestions, I've revised the suggested Certificate here: http://www.theirlanguage.com/kilim/kilim-certificate.doc I didn't have time to change the html-only copy. I also put together a more graphical example of my greeting card idea here: http://www.theirlanguage.com/kilim/kilimgreeting.png Here is a better copy of the back of my postcard idea: http://www.theirlanguage.com/kilim/kilimpostcard.png Hopefully, I'll be able to finally get to work on that brochure idea this week. I have a few concepts kicking around in my head, I just haven't had the chance to put pen to paper yet! PS ~ Oh, and I didn't mean to overlook the request to see what dyes were used! I actually have no idea what they use... Unless somebody knows of an example, I can do a little research sometime and throw in one of my own. [This message has been edited by RedBarks (edited May 13, 2003).]
RedBarks
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Kilim Women