Ortahisar's Women and Children's Living Museum!

If you want to help with Barbara's dream of teaching e-commerce to village weavers in central Turkey, check in here.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Ortahisar's Women and Children's Living Museum!

Postby BarbaraSher » Sun Jun 29, 2003 11:19 am

\"on 6/29/03 7:03 AM, hatice ozer at hati_ozer@yahoo.com wrote: Wow!!! this house beautiful.\" Continuing from topic in General Discussions: Liz (from Pittsburgh) and her friends (anthropologist and daughter) are in Ortahisar now, and at my request have taken photos of the building Crazy Ali said would be very good for the museum I\'ve been dreaming about. Soon, I\'ll tell you where you can go to see them. The location is perfect, and I\'ve been staring at this building for 5 years, wishing I could turn it into a museum that would show the old ways, and the world of women and children that is passing so fast. And at the same time, create more jobs for women in the town, sell their other crafts, and show video interviews with the oldest women in the village while they\'re still here. Here\'s what I wrote Hatice I wanted the rooms for (when I thought there were only 5!) Hatice said: \"Wow. This house is beautiful!\" Here\'s my answer. \"It sure is, Hatice! It will take a lot of work and money to clean it up and make it ready. But the location is perfect, isn\'t it? Oh boy. Now I have to find someone who will give me money!!! Does Liz know a grant-writer? I\'ll contact my lawyer who helped me!! Wow!!! Do you think it will be a good museum? Does Liz? I want all the rooms to look like rooms from 100 years ago. Are there only 5 rooms? Only one level? For some reason I thought there were many rooms and two levels. (Note: there are!) Here\'s what I\'m thinking: 1) One room for a gift shop where people can buy things the weavers and art class people and the girls make. 2) One room for a weaving where tourists can watch the weavers and maybe order a custom kilim. We will have a webcam there so people all over the world can watch the weavers make kilims. Also, people will come to learn weaving and that will be the classroom, perhaps with more looms for the students. (This weekend I discovered that when weavers visit a place like this, they always buy kilims!) 3) One room for a screening room, where people can come in and sit down to watch all the videos of older women that we\'ve been taking. 4) One room for a kitchen where we can sometimes teach Turkish cooking and/or prepare meals for a few tourists 5) One room for a dining room where a few tourists can eat meals prepared by the older women of the village (and buy the cookbooks we\'ll create! I already have photos of pekmes-making with your grandmother, and photos of your mother making Manta.) 6) One room for a livingroom-bedroom to show tourists how people used to live in the village (I\'d like it to be like the photo of me in the www.kilimwomen.com diary photo, with the bedroom carved out of the stone. ) 7) All rooms and halls for photo exhibits, like photos of the beautiful gardens, photos of the interiors of other people\'s old-fashioned homes, faces of the women of Ortahisar. Also all rooms and halls for exhibit cases of tools women used years ago, maybe handmade toys for children. I want a computer school too, but I think computers will be safer in your home, Hatice. (I have some volunteers who want to come and bring more laptops!). Some day I want to see young women like you traveling to schools to teach computer skills. And in the computer school I want a video-production unit so you can continue to make videos, and perhaps we can sell some of them! Or you can create videos for other villages. That\'s my dream.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Sun Jun 29, 2003 11:22 am

Here's the first post which I wrote in General discussions: First, someone remind me how to put these great photos I just got up somewhere I can give you a link to. Second, I need some ideas on grant-writing to get $40,000 to buy this amazing place and another $20,000 - $40,000 to restore it. I know nothing about grant-writing. I'm also willing to auction off the 5 breathtakingly beautiful (huge!) kilims sitting in my living room, but need to know how to do a very simple "silent auction" where people email bids (and where to put the photos -- how did I get so dumb all of a sudden, or was it always thus?) This place is the first one I thought of when I came to the Turkish village 5 years ago, but I couldn't find out if it was available. It's right in the village square, part is already liveable so we could start the Women's and Children's Living Museum of Ortahisar in October! Lonely Planet told me to let them know if I ever got this thing up and running and they'd give us a nice mention in their next book. Only ask me and I'll tell you more than you want to know about what I want each room for. Oh my. I'm stoked! I'll continue in the kilimwomen forum. IP: Logged
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Sun Jun 29, 2003 12:10 pm

See Young Hatice's video of "old" Hatice, weaving!!! http://weblog.kilimwomen.com/archives/practics.mov
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby MDG » Sun Jun 29, 2003 4:48 pm

Whoopee!!! Here is a copy of two of my objectives, written June 8th to another poster on the boards. I asked if she had suggestions for completing the projects I described. Quote: ...Nominate Barbara as a Fellow of Ashoka. Reading their website, www.ashoka.org, I am beginning to suspect that she may qualify at the 'headquarters' level, due to the truly international scope of her work, but I will inquire first in the Canada/U.S. areas, and perhaps Turkey, since they operate from a desk at headquarters in the US, I believe. Ashoka has lots of connections on the U.S. east coast, closer to you than I. (Grin.) ...Provide Barbara with a council, a group of people she can trust to brainstorm, research, propose, and facilitate stuff that she has too little time for. I see her council being volunteer, and collecting input from far and wide, ready for her attention. I believe she has a filing system in her computer now, but perhaps we could give her live assistance. End Quote. Barbara, Your description of your project, above, could easily bring the best results from organizations willing to help. Everyone, Shall I just begin to approach Ashoka? Is there anything else I should know, or do, beforehand? Is there any other point-of-view I might consider? Anything I have missed? So far, my proposals look fairly simple to achieve, although I've never tried things like this before. Thanks for your help, Mahara
MDG
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby MDG » Sun Jun 29, 2003 11:55 pm

P.S. I wonder if Julia Child would suggest a chef/author to assist in the cookbook project. She is such a peach, and exemplifies the 'Plop' Method of Accomplishment. If this is a good idea, who will write a letter to her? - Image -
MDG
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Catherine-aka-Cat » Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:47 pm

Barbara, Good luck with the museum. What a vision, what a valuable project. Sorry I don't have any experience or ideas to offer re grants. Off topic, I recently heard music from a CD put together by Yo Yo Ma, which I think is called the Silk Road Players, which you might like. Anyway, it has something about "Silk Road" on it. And the music is beautiful. MDG, you are so wonderful and giving. Cat [This message has been edited by Catherine-aka-Cat (edited July 02, 2003).]
Catherine-aka-Cat
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Return to Kilim Women