Oh, my gosh! How 'old' am I now?

Kudos for Barbara's workshops, audio programs, workbook courses, PBS specials and books

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Oh, my gosh! How 'old' am I now?

Postby MDG » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:02 am

In "It's Only Too Late If You Don't Start Now"... Great, great writing, but the section entitled 'How Old Are You?' should be in textbooks! I want to read it aloud in the park, coffeehouses, bookstores. I thank you from the bottom of my heart, Barbara.
MDG
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:09 am

Thank you, Mahara! That poor book has never gotten the attention it deserves if I must say so myself. And some mean reviews on amazon (among a lot of good ones). But I\"ve never had an in-print book go so low on the amazon ratings. I think it could help people, and I wish I could make some noise about it. I wonder if I can send that one chapter around to ezines or something. I'd probably have to cut it down. Want to tell me your favorite parts?
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby MDG » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:26 am

Scuse me, Barbara. I've been practicing gymnastics, badly, lately, and I haven't held books at all for a week. Since I read that chapter, the concept that one's best accomplishments are ahead, no matter one's age, has echoed in my head daily. We have fallen in love with the movie \"Secondhand Lions.\" You will smile at the similarities in philosophy to \"It's Only Too Late If You Don't Start Now.\" Come to think of it, your understanding of the teenage years...particularly the conformism, struck me. I had always thought that green hair and piercings become a 'uniform' after a while. The 'statement' becomes watered down when everyone's doing it. Ray calls me to breakfast. I'll pick up the book and get back to you. (I can see past the black eyes now. Fell on my face, once too often. :mrgreen: Nothing hurts, thank Heaven.) Mahara
MDG
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby MDG » Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:21 am

You know, \"It's Only Too Late If You Don't Start Now\" is a gem from cover to cover. It's really hard to state exactly what impresses me most. I mean, just read the table of Contents...that's a life-changing read in itself. Could anyone resist curling up in an easy chair with you after discovering those chapter descriptions? I guess Chapter 4 - Age is where I'm at right now, but Page 73 and onward took my breath away. I could see/hear myself reading out loud, first to my husband and family, then to strangers who might be browsing in a bookstore. ...Or stopping for a coffee in a local coffeeshop. (It's restful and cool and overlooks a golf course.) \"Has anyone caught on to how weird it is to define yourself by your age?\" My oh my, Barbara, you have my full attention! This morning I peeked ahead to the chapter on Power...because I think it explains much about 'stress'...something I need to understand. I've come upon several concrete obstacles lately ( :mrgreen: ). Your cheerful words calm me and make me want to jump ahead to the parts about starting a second life. Somehow I feel that the best 'book reviews' are given person-to-person; sister-to-sister; neighbour-to-neighbour. Maybe it's the sparkle in the eye, the open generosity of \"I love this book and I think you'll love it, too. Come meet a friend of mine - Barbara Sher.\" Bravo, Barbara!
MDG
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Rave Reviews