SCANNER'S RETREAT IN GREECE - WHAT WAS IT LIKE?

Kudos for Barbara's workshops, audio programs, workbook courses, PBS specials and books

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

SCANNER'S RETREAT IN GREECE - WHAT WAS IT LIKE?

Postby BarbaraSher » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:28 am

Hi all who came. I see that the September Retreaters have rented a house on the Eastern Seaboard for a September reunion, and both the Sept and Oct groups are busily doing group emails via Yahoo Groups, and I've even been able to join you on one or two of your regular teleconferences, which was just great.

What amazing things happened to all of us in Corfu last fall; and continue to happen ever since.

I returned to the U.S. the last day of October and life hit the fan. By the end of December I began to surface but I've been sort of 'white-water rafting' down the rapids of my daily life since then.

I managed to schedule a spring Scanner's Retreat for April 20-26 in our lovely golden hilltop hotel (with those fantastic views of the Aegean below --I keep thinking of how we interrupted each evening's class to go out on the terrace and watch the sunset.) and people are asking for descriptions or evaluations of the first Retreats from those who attended. If you wouldn't mind sending me something I can forward to them, or posting a description and/or evaluation here, I'd appreciate it greatly. What they're asking is, What was it like?
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Corfu Scanner Retreat Testimonial

Postby passion child » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:30 pm

I read the first chapter of Refuse to Choose on a commuter train on the way home from work. By the time I got to my car in the station parking lot I was literally convulsing with tears of joy and release. After feeling like a failure and a disappointment for most of my adult life, it was a monumental turning point for me to realize that I am just the way I am supposed to be.

When the chance to travel to Corfu for the first ever scanner retreat I grabbed the opportunity to celebrate my self acceptance as a scanner. I am glad I made the decision to go, because I ended up experiencing one of the most incredible weeks of my life.

Corfu itself was beautiful and met or exceeded all of my expectations for a Mediterranean island. The views from the hilltop inn where we stayed were spectacular, the sunrises and sunsets were breathtaking, the beaches were postcard perfect, the village our hotel sat above was quaint and memorable, and the locals were friendly and hospitable.

Of course the retreat could have been in a trailer park in Torrance and it still would have been a raging success. Barbara made everyone feel that they got the personal attention they needed from her, and made sure that each our goals for the retreat were met. She is highly intuitive and skilled at cutting to the heart of the matter. She gives great hugs, and is eager to share her bag of tricks for overcoming obstacles, procrastination, and resistance. She is a scanner herself, and I doubt anyone understands scanners better.

As much as I love Barbara and learned from her during the retreat, the best part of the trip was getting to meet 17 other scanners. I am shy and was hoping to be a wallflower the whole week. I am glad that plan did not pan out! I learned that scanners are awesome. They are smart, supportive people who are, without exception, terrific storytellers with fascinating life experiences. Barbara gave us an incredible gift by providing an atmosphere for us to bond and become a family.

Since the retreat we have stayed in touch by phone, email and through a Yahoo user group. We made the decision to continue our bi-weekly conference calls beyond the prescribed 3 months, and we have scheduled a reunion for next September. We are more than a mutual admiration society, though we do offer each other lots of praise and support. We hold each other accountable, and won't let each other get away with not living life to its full potential. I hope I have the honor of knowing these people for the rest of my life.

If you are considering attending her next scanner retreat, I cannot urge you strongly enough to make the decision to got. If there is anything more I can say to convince you, please feel free to email me at sonnet4321@yahoo.com.

PS. If you are traveling to Corfu by way of Athens to fit in a trip to the Acropolis, try to go late in the afternoon. It will be far less crowded, and you can watch the marble of the Parthenon change color as the sun begins to set, and don't miss the chance to visit Old Corfu Town, which looks like Venice on dry land.
passion child
New Poster
New Poster

What was it like

Postby garyjames » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:31 am

Last night I read Irmgard post's about being back to her normal routine and Allen's incredible articulation about her disparity and Elizabeth's support of relating. I went to bed and lying there I was remembering our group, each one of you individually and the special relationship's I have with each of you, a large tear of joy/happiness balled in the corner of my left eye, I readjusted my head and the tear ever so slowly began to roll down my nose and I began to cry more and to think about my love for each and everyone of you again, it was your expression's or your question? or a look and sometimes just a sense.

So this tear, making it's way down my nose is uncomfortable but I am in love with it. It reminds me how much I felt loved and how much capacity I have to love others,You all. of you my scanner family.So I lie there with this incredible drop of a tear dangling off the tip of my nose. I am motionless so as not to dislodge what I am feeling, I place the tear on my wrist I lick it off the top of my hand and drink you all in to my heart.

I think how lucky am I, to care for so many beautiful people. I am drawn to the fact that we all traveled around the world to meet each other. This is huge in my mind! why did we show up for each other? What thing does my life have to express? with which each one of you? or all of you?

It is a powerful feeling I have for all of us as a group,I'm reminded what Barbara said \" we will all go back to our lives\" \"but don't go away\" stay in touch at least! I think she has grossly underestimated our missions, we were called!

do you or anyone else feel that something has happened to us? Am I alone? I doubt it! In always in loving form, Gary
garyjames
New User
New User

September Scanner Retreat

Postby elizagard » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:44 am

Articulating what I learned from the retreat is difficult. Sometimes we don't realize exactly what we've gained until months or years later. I had a fabulous time while there, of course. And met many great people. I did learn at the retreat to ask for help even when I think I don't need it.

But the biggest change is that I find myself actually doing things that I'd previously only thought about doing someday. I recently went to a week long drawing class in Big Sur and met more great people. We are even going to continue with another teacher locally.

When I first started reading Refuse to Choose, I was so excited about all the activities and life models. After I came back from the retreat, I began to realize that I need to focus on the suggestions in the Sybil chapter. Everything looks interesting in the book, but I really do need help with managing my time and space.

Scanner retreat Participants - Unlike most of the others, I wasn't looking for a new career direction, so I wasn't sure I'd fit in. But many were very friendly and made me feel comfortable right away. Everyone had such interesting stories. It's unusual to get to know people so well in such a short period of time.

Corfu - gnarled old olive trees, charming little village nearby with secret pathways between the houses and great food, azure blue water -- try adding a few extra days to explore, Corfu is known as the most beautiful of all the Greek islands

Hotel - I stayed in a place down the hill, but the hilltop terrace overlooking the sea was great -- wished there has been more time to just be but we were busy!

Brainstorming - We did this with Barbara and on our own -- the power of so many minds was amazing, containing that energy was no small feat for anyone leading, fortunately there were many capable leaders in the group

Barbara - What can I say about meeting a woman whose books I've read for half my life and who helped guide me to a career I actually like? Elizabeth
elizagard
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Return to Rave Reviews