The Newsletter

Kudos for Barbara's workshops, audio programs, workbook courses, PBS specials and books

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

The Newsletter

Postby BarbaraSher » Fri Dec 21, 2001 11:54 am

I'm sitting down during the holiday to set up the first issue. Thanks for your patience. This project is a real favorite of mine and I've waited a long time to be able to get to work on it. So far, I've responded to anyone who emailed me by putting them on my mailing list and notifying them with a letter. Here's the letter, and below are some nice responses: .............................................................. Hi. You're on my mailing list, probably because you wrote me a nice email within the last 6 months or so -- during which time I have stubbornly stayed up an extra hour every night extracting email addresses from letters like yours for my mailing list. All this so I could send you a very exciting newsletter I've been working on. This isn't it. This is just the initial announcement. Just so you know what the newsletter will be about. Be prepared. I may have gone over the top. Every time I describe my plans to my web designer he just chuckles and shakes his head. Well, here's what I hope to do. We'll soon see how much I can actually deliver. IN THE UPCOMING ISSUES YOU'LL FIND: -- HOW-TO GAMES Some visual hi-jinks in the form of new graphics that will teach you how to do a whole bunch of things, like: How To Get Around Resistance, How To Find a Goal When You're a Scanner and you Want To Do Everything. Now., How To Make Decisions, How To Figure Out What You Really Want, How To Create Your Own Success Team and more. In each issue I'll try to bring you the latest version of whatever project I'm working on,in some unexpected shape (a chapter, a kit, a game...etc), just for fun (and I'd l ove your feedback). -- SUCCESS STORIES Profiles of people who used my books, workshops, private sessions or Success Teams to achieve inspiring dreams. Hopefully, we'll have photos. Maybe we'll start out with a photo of Lisa the Gorilla Lady playing with the baby gorillas. There are so many more stories waiting to be told. You'll get a step-by-step, real-life report on how they actually did it. (It wasn't with positive thinking. You can be sure of that.) -- SESSIONS WITH MY CLIENTS Often when I end a session with a new client (and all my clients are new because we rarely require more than one session) I wish other people could have been there to listen. Anyone with similar dilemmas might get a lot from knowing what happened. People often ask me what goes on in the sessions and I never quite know what to tell them. I've always intended to write up some of the most interesting sessions, but you know how it is. However, if I persuade myself you're waiting to read them in th e newsletter, I might quit being so lazy and actually write them. -- REPORTS FROM SUCCESS TEAMS Each week my Certified Success Teamleaders keep me up-to-date with reports on how each 8 Week Success Team Training is progressing. It's fascinating to hear each team member's ongoing story. Even more, these brief reports teach a powerful lesson in how things really get done. Instead of the idealized fairy tales we're fed in pop magazines you'll read about the struggles and sidesteps, the unexpected breakthroughs and the human-sized successes. You'll also see how team members give and take s u pport from each other -- In addition, the newsletter will have these features: -- ONLINE SUCCESS TEAMS Links to online Success Teams you can join. -- UPCOMING APPEARANCES A schedule of my upcoming workshops (to answer the many inquiries I receive after each TV show) -- PASSIONATE HOBBIES/CREATIVE PROJECTS REPORTS Reports about my Passionate Hobbies or Creative Projects such as the latest photos, videos and stories from a village in Turkey where I'm teaching e-commerce to the weavers. Also, "Funding Esra" (she's the brilliant young woman from the village who has been offered a partial scholarship to a first-rate U.S. women's college). Reports about *your* Passionate Hobbies or Creative Projects. Just send them in. I, for one, am dying to know what you're up to and everyone else will be too. I think these reports will remind everyone that it's time to do their own passionate hobbies and creative hobbies. Not much in this culture pushes you towards such things, but this is the way to find and develop your hidden talents and keep your life fresh and fun. So, if you're up to something you love, and if you need our help or just want to celebrate, please send photos and stories and we'll try to work up a feature on you. -- NEGATIVITY CONTESTS Some jolly, ripping Hard Times and Negativity contests,including my latest rant against Self-Improvement, Positive Thinking, Self Love, and any other attitude makeover methods I find impossible, unnecessary and inadequate. (If I trash something that works for you, ignore me. If most of the self- improvement stuff never worked for you, I hope you'll be relieved, quit trying to improve yourself and get on with the real work of your life: finding and following your dreams.) -- BRAINSTORMING COLUMN We'll post a Wish and Obstacle from someone and give you a link where you can send ideas and suggestions which we'll send on and also post in the following issue. Maybe we'll be able to help someone's dream come true. The sky's the limit. YOU CAN STAND PAT OR JUMP SHIP If you want to an announcement of each new issue just sit back and do nothing. If you don't want to see this incredibly useful and fascinating material, that's peculiar (and I'd love to hear your reasons) but it's okay too -- just reply with a subject change to unsubscribe and we'll take you off the list. (Feel free to add someone else's email to the list if you're pretty sure they'll enjoy it and we'll gladly welcome them to the party.) THIS IS NOT A COMMERCIAL VENTURE You know, of course, that I'd never sell one name on my list to anyone. And that no one will advertise in this newsletter. Well... *I* might advertise, but just a little, mostly for your feedback. I'll let you know if I've put together another one of my home-made audio/worksheet kits people have been requesting for years. Or give you an audio-minute from the Spanish (or French or Italian or Turkish) translation of one of my audiobooks. I might include an excerpt from one of my 5 books from time to time just to tempt you buy any you don't already have. I might even go ahead and open up my subscriber-only Internati o nal Idea Party listserv where you can cast your own Wishes and Obstacles upon the waters and see what people from around the world can do for you. Even a few sales should more than cover the expenses of this newsletter (which won't cost much, thanks to the lovely, inexpensive internet). The personal benefit for me is that I need to be writing all this stuff and developing all these projects anyway. When no one is waiting to see something, I tend to let it slip. If I have to get these projects ready for you to read, maybe I'll finally get into action. But I also have a mission and I might as well admit it. MY MISSION Today a neighbor got on the elevator, a sweet, gentle woman I've known for a long time, and her face lit up when she saw me. -I caught your show on television and I feel like I have been Sleeping Beauty! I feel like I just woke up! Thank you. I'm going to make some changes! she said. I don't claim to be the source of special truth, but I've been getting letters for decades from people telling me my work has made a real difference in their lives. If sharing what I've figured out can really do somebody some good, I have to get it out of my head and onto paper (or audio, or newsletters) where people can find it. Benjamain Disraeli said, "Most people will go to their graves with their music still in them." That's painfully sad. But more than that, it's just not right. It's not right to bury our gifts and then disappear with them when we die. If we have our own original vision -- and everyone does -- we owe it to each other to share as much of it as we possibly can. This newsletter is my way of fulfilling that happy obligation. If in any way it helps you do the same, my mission will be happily fulfilled. Barbara Sher
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Fri Dec 21, 2001 11:56 am

Hi Barbara, This all sounds great! My friend (a registered, Music Therapist and public speaker) and I (owner of a Pet sitting Business, and "want-to-be" freelance photojournalist) are registered for your class on April 11th in Pittsburgh. We're very excited!
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Rave Reviews