WISHCRAFT: HOW TO GET WHAT YOU *REALLY* WANT

Kudos for Barbara's workshops, audio programs, workbook courses, PBS specials and books

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: WISHCRAFT: HOW TO GET WHAT YOU *REALLY* WANT

Postby BarbaraSher » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:44 pm

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book to help you reach your dreams, January 4, 2013
By
Lois Field - See all my reviews

This review is from: Wishcraft: How to Get What You Really Want (Paperback)
This is the one book I would recommend if you were looking for a plan to find your dreams. Every tool you need to set yourself up for success is explained in a step by step manner.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm still reading this...., November 20, 2012
By
Robin -
Wow! I'm still reading this book slowly and mindfully taking it all in. Much of what she writes is RIGHT ON TARGET! Its a new way of thinking for me... its enlightening... it changes my view of the past and present! Since I haven't finished the book its impossible to say that I will "get what I really want"... but half way through I can say I'm very happy with what i have! I will use the information in this book to be more supportive of my love ones too! Great read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wishcraft, October 18, 2012
By
Lucy Younes (Hyattsville, MD United States) - See all my reviews

I first read this book about 30 years ago and through the years have incorporated its principles in most of my endeavors. This purchase was one of about a half a dozen copies that I've bought for friends over the years. Great to see the 30th anniversary edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST SELF-HELP BOOK I HAVE EVER READ, March 14, 2012
By
Earline Taylor - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
WHEN I WAS IN COLLEGE ONE OF MY CLASSMATES INTRODUCED ME TO THIS BOOK. SHE TALKED ABOUT HOW THE BOOK HELPS A PERSON TO SET GOALS BY USING CHARTS AS A WAY TO GET TO THEIR GOAL/S. SHE MADE IT SOUND SO INTERESTING. SO, I BOUGHT A COPY AND BEGAN READING IT. IT WAS SO FASCINATING, I INTRODUCED IT TO THE MAN I WAS ENGAGED TO AT THE TIME. THEN EVENTUALLY I BOUGHT HIM A COPY.
THE THING I REALLY LIKE AND APPRECIATE ABOUT BARBARA SHER'S ADVICE IS THE WAY SHE HAVE YOU TO CHART YOUR GOALS. YOU WILL USE SIMPLE ITEMS LIKE A PEN AND A PAD OF PAPER. IF YOU WANT TO YOU CAN GET MORE ELABORATE AND BUY NOTEBOOKS AND POSTER BOARD AND MAKE FLOW CHARTS AND GOAL CHARTS. ITS ALL IN THERE.
BUT FIRST, SHE HAVE YOU DOING A SERIES OF EXERCISES. FOR EXAMPLE, SHE HAVE YOU PICKING A COLOR AND YOU TALK ABOUT THE COLOR. I CHOSE RED. SO I SAID SOMETHING LIKE "I AM RED LIKE A SCREAMING FIRE-ENGINE, AND RED HOT LIKE A BURNING FIRE. I AM VERY BRIGHT AND I DEMAND ATTENTION WHEN I WANT IT."
THE EXERCISES WERE DESIGNED TO BE DONE ALONE OR IN A GROUP. I WENT THROUGH THE ENTIRE BOOK BY MYSELF. BOY WAS I EXHAUSTED BUT IT WAS WORTH IT. I REALLY LIKE THE PART WHEN SHE ASK THE READER TO START PUTTING THEIR GOAL CHART/S AND FLOW CHART/S TOGETHER.

AND BY THE WAY, IF YOU THINK YOU CAN CHEAT BY STARTING WITH THE CHAPTER ON GOAL CHARTS AND FLOW CHARTS, YOU MAY AS WELL NOT EVEN BUY THE BOOK BECAUSE BARBARA'S ADVICE MAKES SENSE AND YOU WILL MISS A LOT BY NOT FOLLOWING HER BOOK AS CLOSELY AS POSSIBLE. AND EVEN THOUGH THIS BOOK WAS WRITTEN MORE THAN THIRTY YEARS AGO, THE ADVICE IS STILL AS DOABLE AND IS JUST AS SOUND TODAY AS IT WAS THEN. IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO START PUTTING YOUR GOALS TOGETHER, THEN YOU NEED THIS BOOK. IT IS SUCH A SMALL INVESTMENT THAT CAN HELP YOU WITH GOAL SETTING FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, February 9, 2012
By
Corey Lamb - See all my reviews
A Book that went past the "Why" and on to the "How to" in a practical and real way. Having read many cheerleading books, this one laid out a game plan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't know your "Life Dreams"?, December 27, 2011
By
H.S.B. (Longmont, CO) - See all my reviews

I have struggled for a long time to actually formulate my dreams, because it changes 180 degrees on me and makes me frustrated. This mainly happened because I was going after other people's dreams in my life. WISHCRAFT does not only help formulate your dreams and keep them together, it shows you who you are to yourself, and help you go for the dreams right for you. Great book. It is never too late to get into it. Life is about what you are getting out of it today, not about what you wasted yesterday.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book, November 6, 2011
By
Fatmata Dabo "nina29" (columbus, ohio) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
I was very skeptic about this book, but like they say dont judge a book by it color. I was pleasantly surprised by what I am reading so far. It hwlps yoy get to the root of your problem and take you step by step towards your goals. I loved the book so much that I have ordered all the books by this same author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wishcraft: the way to a new life., September 27, 2011
By
RetroAngela - See all my reviews

Barb Sher truly is a guru in the life and career counselling and self-help field. I have read many of her books and find them all to be extremely practical, inspirational, helpful and real - these are real life people, examples, and tools that she offers and you can apply them to your life straight away. Many times you think your problems are unique and can't be solved resulting in feeling frustrated, hopeless and unworthy - Barb teaches you that there are many people out there just like you who have turned their life around and if you're willing to do the work and take the steps, the life of your dreams is available to you too. If you want to do what you love then Wishcraft and Barb's other books are a must!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for brainstorming with yourself, May 30, 2011
By
Terry Pile "Career Advisors" (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
Barbara Sher's books are a must read if you are considering a career change. Although there is a lot of reading to get through the end result is worth it. Because I am very familiar with the exercises of self-discovery, what I particulalry liked was her epilogue - how to fake success. I think a lot of us have trouble handling praise or success and I appreciate her suggestions for easing into it.

Also, valuable is the comprehensive resource section at the end of this book. It is a great tool for brainstorming with yourself as to career options and the resources to help you learn more about those options i.e. "Cash from your Garden," "Careers in Education," "Ecology and your Career," "Careers Tomorrow,"...the list goes on and on.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:50 pm

5.0 out of 5 stars By page 13, I was in tears, by page 91, I had my Grand Opening date scheduled, October 17, 2009
By
Lucretia Johnson "Dimozzodotcom" (Plainfield, IL) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
Like I said, by page 13 I was literally crying, crying tears of joy. By page 13 this book brought me back to a
certain era in my childhood that I had suppressed. This book brought me back to a point where
my life took a major turn between the ages of 8-12. The point I'm referring to is when my parents said those famous
words to me that changed my life's direction permanently,"Now honey, you really don't want to be that when you grow up, you won't make any money".

Barbara Sher, the author of this book takes you places that shows you what your true life passion is and how you missed it growing up because of certain verbal or physical circumstances. Her written exercises, her mini assignments (2 minutes the most) and questionaires help me discover that my true passion was being expressed every day of
my life since I was 8 years old, when it was being acted out at home.

By page 90, I had discovered what my passion was from the being on this earth for 39 years. She shows me how I dipped and dabbed in
my true passion in my 39 years of life, but never knew it was my passion and never paid any attention in developing it further.

By page 91, Barbara Sher helped me to realize that your financial success comes from doing and working your passion. She helped
me discover that my passion is my MBA naturally born expertise. Something that other people pay schools to learn and get degrees in.
This book helped me discover that your passion is your God given gift that you were born with. No other person on this earth has this natural born expertise.

By page 146, I went and got my state license and business tax id for my new business. I had my 1 year plan draft written out, which included where the funds was coming from to financially get my business up and running, and the date of my grand opening!

This book changed my life and I recommend it to every woman who has lost her way, during being a wife, an ex-wife, a mother, a daughter, an employee or who has been something for every other person, except for themselves.

My successful business that this book helped me to discover can be found here: [...]

Sincerely,
Life is wonderful!!!!
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:56 pm

5.0 out of 5 stars Wishcraft 30th Anniversary - Huzzahs!, January 27, 2009
By
Eileen M. Fay (Saugerties, NY) - See all my reviews

So-o-o-o happy to see that Barbara Sher is releasing a 30th Anniversary Edition of her fantabulous Wishcraft - hands down the best self-help or advice book ever!

Wishcraft has helped countless people realize their dreams for a fulfilling, passionate life. The simple, eminently doable steps Barbara demonstrates are so much more practical and achievable than the average (and wrongheaded) "Just do it!" mentality of most books in the genre.

Best of all, in my opinion, is that Barbara has walked the walk in her own life. A struggling single mother of two, entering middle age with few prospects, she created a worthwhile and substantial life for herself using ideas she worked on and tested over and over, finally designing a program that anyone can follow to similar success.

I love this book, and her many others, too, such as Refuse to Choose, I Could Do Anything If I Only Knew What It Was, It's Only Too Late If You Don't Start Now, Live The Live You Love, and on and on. But Wishcraft really got things started for a lot of us out here, and the ball is still rolling after 30 years.

Happy Anniversary, Wishcraft!

5.0 out of 5 stars How Do You Thank Someone For Changing Your Life?, December 2, 2008
By
J. Blair (ALEXANDRIA, VA USA) - See all my reviews

Wishcraft was written in 1979. I was a young mother from a blue-collar
family, with a 2-year-old son, and another one on the way. Up until
then, I had worked at various jobs, mostly in accounting, which I
hated with a passion.

Laid off from my part-time accounting job with an insurance company
(They could "tell" I wasn't happy there.), I was looking for a new
direction. I'm not sure now how I became aware of "Wishcraft", but I
bought it and it made me think differently about life and jobs.

It had never occurred to me that you could get a job without having
all of the formal credentials required. I liked that way of thinking!
There were so many things I wanted to do!

So I went to the Virginia Unemployment office, and began reading job
descriptions of things that I'd like to do, whether I was qualified to
do them or not.

I saw a part-time teaching job, working with CETA students (in this
case, high-school dropouts with kids) to teach them Data Entry.
I had once *done* data entry, so I figured I could teach it! So I took the listing to the agent and asked them to call the place and see if they would take "experience" in lieu of a teaching degree. The guy looked at me funny, but made the call, and they said "Sure - send her over."

And that's where my teaching / training career began. It's wandered
all over the place over the last 30 years, and 14 years ago I started
my own technical training company, and went on to teach overseas and
at several "real" colleges.

I believe in my heart that if I had not read "Wishcraft" I would have
ended up typing for someone else for a living, and my kids would have
had far fewer opportunities in life.

Instead, my oldest came to work for me, as a trainer. As a technical trainer, he's been able to travel to Europe and Australia. Nowadays, he's a senior Oracle database administrator, but he still loves to teach, so he often tutors friends in a make-shift classroom in his basement.

My youngest is a web architect in San Francisco, as well as a
world-class athlete representing the USA in competitions in South
Africa and England.

So the path my life took changed, and resulted in my children's lives
changing -- and hopefully the future generations that will follow us
-- all because Barbara Sher took a risk and wrote a book, based on some
workshops that weren't making any money.

Is it any wonder that I am in awe of her?

Every 30 years or so, she comes into my life -- and changes everything.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional book, the best, period!, December 2, 2008
By
Andrea "Animal lover" (New York City) - See all my reviews
I first read Wishcraft in the early 1980s and have read it several times since then, and it changed the way I live my life. I've consistently gone after my dreams and accomplished big goals, and I credit this to the approach I learned in Wishcraft about how to identify what I wanted and move through resistance. Wishcraft encourages us to put complete trust in our dreams and get support along the way so that we're able to keep taking steps forward. The tone is down-to-earth, encouraging and wise. The book is filled with amazing exercises that help people get really clear about their goals, and also feel brave and encouraged. I've bought this book for countless friends, and everyone loved it.
Wishcraft offers support and ideas that really work, and is in striking contrast to the many self-help books out there that seem flaky to me.
If I could own only one self-help book, it would definitely be Wishcraft.

4.0 out of 5 stars a wonderful discovery process, September 6, 2008
By
D. Cannon (Washington DC) - See all my reviews

A wonderful book to aid anyone in the process of discovering who they are and how to find a path to their dreams. Barbara gives lots of positive reinforcement, but is surprisingly practical. By the time I had filtered through numerous chapters of discovery exercises, I was exhausted. I wasn't sure I would really find the focus I needed to define myself and articulate the next phase of my life. However, when I got to the chapter on defining "touchstones" the homework paid off and I found something at my core that defined everything I wanted in my life. Hats off to Barbara for her humor, style, and wisdom to make the process so enjoyable. Bravo!

4 of 5 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars A little dated, but overall quite helpful..., August 27, 2008
By
twinklenuts (CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wishcraft (Hardcover)
I had heard really good reviews of this book from many people I respect for their life vision and general success. It was a quick read, and while I'm not usually a big consumer of the self-help genre, I found it had a lot of very practical applications that helped me get a bit closer to discovering just what it is that I can contribute to this planet. I was reading Erckhart Tolle's A New Earth, which was a great primer in basic Buddhist concepts, but which I found didn't quite deliver on the promise of its subtitle: Awakening to your life's purpose. It did perhaps help to prepare me and make me more open to finding Wishcraft, which did a pretty good job of digging deep and really directing me toward the discovery and acceptance of myself as a creative person, and in turn, that creativity is a gift to share with the world and not stuff down in favor of more "practical," "useful," work. I found the emphasis on childhood and over bearing parents to be a bit much -- maybe because I come from the apparently rare position of having been encouraged to pursue my creative side from a very young age, but decided independently that it was too frivolous and self-indulgent to make my life's goal. I am grateful for my personal journey beyond my talents and into worlds that have only served to reinforce that I am indeed supposed to exercise my creativity. Wishcraft has some great tools that helped me take this realization to the next step, to decide exactly what it is I need to do to make my creative side an active part of my everyday life.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:05 pm

WISHCRAFT: HOW TO GET WHAT YOU *REALLY* WANT

Dear Barbara, December 20, 2001
I am a long-time Wishcraft participant. I found the book in 1991 and read it from cover to cover before I did the exercises. I had read so many self-help books that I wasn't very confidant that another would help. The books were on career path identification, self-confidence, getting organized, and many more subjects.

The problem was that I was looking for how to fix what was wrong with me. But there wasn't anything wrong with me. I simply did not have the knowledge that I had the power to create my life the way I wanted it. I did the exercises and had so much fun.

The exercise that helped me the most was "The Ideal Day". I wrote up my ideal day and decided to incorporate what I wanted with what I had, and didn't have. Well, five years later I had reformed my life. I took out the paper with my ideal day on it, and was amazed at how closely it fit how I was living.

It doesn't stop there. I am still alive and dreaming. Things have changed in my life. My company laid everyone off here in California a year and a half ago. As I left the building people were crying and upset, but I was ecstatic. I realized that now I had another chance to reform my life.

I had already been planning for a change, but now I had the chance to follow other dreams I had. One thing I wanted was to get my college degree. I was in a night class in college when the layoff happened and realized it was my chance to go full time. I have completed five quarters of classes now and have only 13 or so units to go for my AA. I will finish by spring.

I was not afraid to go for what I wanted because of what I learned in all your books. I am now going through Wishcraft again. This time I have the knowledge that I have succeeded before and I shall again. This is not a one-time fix. It is a way of life. It is a way of living, fully living. It is a never-ending process that gives me strength and determination not to let life get me down.

Thank you for sharing your hard learned knowledge with those of us who had no one else to teach him or her this information. I am forever changed by your life's work.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby leda01 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:12 am

Barbara and All,

Like so many others have found, my experience with Barbara Sher's Wischcraft has been powerful. I have learned to find support to make my dreams come true. I have reinforced what I've always secretly believed: that my ways of doing, including whining, have a role in the journey of life. :)

A friend and I practiced Wishcraft for over a year and met our original goals: I earned a Master of Science degree in Technical Writing (the "Wishcraft" year was mid-way in that journey); my friend started an online business.

From time to time in the past, I sought a sense of weakness or sought dominance from others to be successful. With the ideas and attitudes Barbara presents, I found how to express my goals and visions in a safe way that empowers my patience, determination, focus, persistence, and progress. To this day I love Barbara's work and feel as if I've met her, though we've never met.

Barbara is one amazing ally in the stream of life, believing in you and offering attitudes, role modeling, and tools for success. 8) 8)

Thanks so much,
Leda
leda01
New Poster
New Poster

Previous

Return to Rave Reviews