PBS Special: Idea Soup?

Kudos for Barbara's workshops, audio programs, workbook courses, PBS specials and books

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Postby urbanpioneer » Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:12 pm

Maybe you could pledge IPTV to get that tape with the proviso that someone on the pledging staff call KCTS and tell them that one of their viewers in pledging in Iowa to get this show! And to say Nyah, Nyah, nyah! Our people have done crazier things to satisfy our pledgers! Image
urbanpioneer
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby MDG » Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:43 pm

I got no response to my email to KCTS, either, Susan. Perhaps no response was due to their 41 lay-offs, although they have been advertising that they will make their financial deadlines. Thank goodness! I want to telephone with simple, positive alternatives, such as, "May I pledge KCTS and receive premiums I choose from other PBS stations?" I'd very much like to speak to someone with experience and authority, hopefully to get into a bit of a conversation. I'd like to mention that those who respond to Barbara's programs want to direct their loved ones to KCTS, and want those programs in their own libraries. ...All of them! If I say that I'm a Success Teams leader, I'll make jolly sure to tell them that I want to show the videos, for free, to many people in my community (in their broadcast area), and that I'll be telling people to get their own at KCTS. TV stations can't buy that kind of advertising! No one can! So, "When will they next be airing a Barbara Sher program?!" Image Hm-m-m-m... Maybe with all the lay-offs, everyone who answers the phone is experienced and has authority! Image I won't bug them extensively, but keep it brief and to the point. As complicated as the broadcasting industry is, in the end it boils down to what the paying public wants to see. Mahara
MDG
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Idea Soup

Postby Winsome » Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:17 pm

After watching church from my bedside yesterday, i began to channel surf and saw Barbara Sher speaking. I don't recall what was said that got my attention, i think it was just her presence, and it looked like she was talking about something i needed to hear. When i heard her say something about doing what you love, i was hooked, and knew that my staying home in bed was no accident. I was literally glued to the television for the entire hour, taking notes, and thinking about how i was going to share the information with my sisterfriends. I'm still in awe at the information and ideas she shared. After sharing it with a sister, she got so excited, she wants to have an \"idea party.\" Unfortunately, i was unable to pledge yesterday, but i know i would like to purchase Barbara's Idea book and workbook. Will it ever become available in bookstores or online?? Sincerely, Miss Cleo (not the TV psychic :-)
Winsome
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

If only...

Postby BarbaraSher » Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:30 pm

If only my appearances in cities depended on what the paying population wants to see. Truth is, in non-profit venues, that's not what works. I made lots of money for Boston and they were blown away. I was there a number of times and each time I broke records. They finally decided to do the workshop and got flooded with pledges, but then found out I was charging a very small amount of money for the workshop and became angry. Most stations expect to pay me something for the workshop, and have done so many times but decided for some reason to stop (Buffalo, Sacramento, St. Louis -- can't remember all of them.) Others passed around a crazy rumor that I charge to do pledge drives (I've never done that), fly first-class (never have done that), bring my dog and charge for his seat (had to bring him only once -- babysitter stood me up at the last minute -- but paid for his space under the seat myself), I think that's about it. So a bunch of people seem to have blackballed me. But wherever the show airs it does very well, and lots of people *are* airing it and bringing me out to do workshops. And most stations have wonderful people who are extremely gracious to me. It's an odd industry. I don't understand it very well. Each station seems to be very different. Some are run by very hard-to-understand people (according to the people who work with them -- and with those people I am invariably on great terms). But they have reasons for doing things that don't always make sense (to me) in terms of bringing in money. Another point: if no one is airing the show in your area you can buy the premiums directly from me. I choose to not compete with public tv by selling my stuff when they're trying to do it. (I don't think any other people on the public tv circuit have chosen to do that, and they didn't ask me to do, but I think it's right.) Just email me and tell me where you live and which of the premiums you want and if you're not in an area where you can get the premiums from your local TV station, I'll sell them to you myself. Okay?
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:32 pm

Incidentally, if you missed the chance to pledge a station that *is* airing my show, you can still call them and pledge for my book, workbook course and video. They'll order them and send them to you.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Idea Party

Postby Winsome » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:18 am

Thank you soooo very much. I live in Richmond, CA and work in Oakland. I feel extremely guilty about not pledging, but my reality is, i'm on a super tight budget and just can't afford anymore payments of any magnitude right now--even on an installment plan. however, i can sacrifice a one-time purchase that i know would be so well worth it. so i would like to purchase the info from you directly, and look forward to making a contribution to PBS when i am more financially able. Thanks again C
Winsome
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:57 pm

Hi everybody The video is called Barbara Sher's Idea Party. You can apparently buy it directly from Iowa. But it's great that you're calling stations to ask when my shows will be on. That might make them wake up. Thanks!
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:38 pm

The electronic version of Barbara Sher's Idea Book is available any minute now (we're going live today) at http://www.geniuspress.com/ The Discover Your Dream Course Workbook with audio will be available too. And we're trying to get the audiobook I Could Do Anything If I Only Knew What It Was up as well. These are all downloadable. I'm still looking for someone to fulfill orders for people who want hard copies. Coming very soon: The audiobook for It's Only Too Late If You Don't Start Now; How to create your second life at any age And a book I've been working on for two years, A Treasury of Tips for Making Your Dreams Come True. A honey! And in a week or two, the DreamFinder in which you can find lots of great ideas -- some from the Idea Book and many waiting to go in the next Idea Book whenever I have time to write it[i]
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Rave Reviews