PBS Special: Idea Soup?

Kudos for Barbara's workshops, audio programs, workbook courses, PBS specials and books

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

PBS Special: Idea Soup?

Postby Rosebud » Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:23 pm

I saw Barbara's PBS special last Sunday. I think it was called Idea Soup. It was just fantastic. I missed the first half hour though. The idea that really hit home for me was to "create your perfect job" based on your passion. Will be on the look-out for the PBS repeat of the great special. Tam ------------------ Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you're doing the impossible--St. Francis of Assisi
Rosebud
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby SusanP » Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:40 pm

It doesn't seem that the PBS program is going to be in the MA/NH schedule soon -- is there a way to buy it? Susan in MA
SusanP
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Tituba » Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:58 pm

I'm with you Susan! You'd think the Boston area would be a primary market! I did see it on the Rhode Island PBS schedule though!
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby urbanpioneer » Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:31 pm

Call your local PBS station. There will be someone there who will probably be able to help you. And you will also be giving the station feedback on what you want to see, like Barbara Sher specials!
urbanpioneer
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:34 am

I have called and e-mailed them. Got back canned responses. If I lived out in the boonies, I'd expect them not being able to get the show. But geez....Boston is usually the next stop after NY..... Image
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby urbanpioneer » Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:06 pm

I work at Iowa Public Television who produced her latest special. I'll send an email to the people who deal with this sort of thing and see if you can order a tape from here. Our customer realtions people are great and go out of their way to help people. I'll get back to this thread with the answer probably after Monday.
urbanpioneer
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:14 pm

Oh, Oh, Oh! That would be GREAT! I'm sure there are lots of people who would buy these tapes!
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby MDG » Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:20 pm

Pioneer, Can you tell me anything (again?) about the system between PBS stations for... ...Use of a video for fund-raising in another area (with or without Barbara\'s immediate presence), and, ...Availability of a video through another PBS station, for pledging or purchase. I want \"Barbara Sher\'s Idea Party\" very much, and I\'ll pledge Iowa PBS to get it. But, I\'d very much like to suggest that KCTS in Seattle open doors to using every avenue between stations, AND, air \"...Idea Party\" themselves. Who do I speak to at KCTS, or what department? What shall I say? My email is suzie348@shaw.ca, if you\'d like to contact me. Many thanks for any hints you can give me. Mahara
MDG
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby urbanpioneer » Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:00 pm

I am a master control engineer, among other things so I'm not the knowledge queen on exactly how all this all works, but here's what I know. A local PBS station finds funding and produces a show or a series of shows. If it's a pledge event like Barbara Sher's stuff has been, the local studio may produce a "virtual" pledge. We have our pledge set and operators and the show and the star and do a local pledge drive that is recorded intact, pledge breaks, show segments and all. This is then packaged and offered to other stations to pick up and use if they think there is interest. The show may also be offered just as a show without the pledge stuff and individual stations may decide to run it or not. They may also do it as a pledge with their local people and bring in the talent to help with the pledging. But not all stations have the facilities to do live pledging like we do. How the financial arrangements are made, what it costs for another station to run a show, I do not know. I do know that Barbara Sher is very popular in Iowa and her shows pledge very well. I suppose programming directors across the country probably talk to each other or info on what shows pledge well (raise lots of money) is available for program decisions. Hopefully on Monday, I will be able to post info on what we have available for purchase and who to contact. But your best bet is to call the programming dept of your local PBS station, and have all your friends call and say "When is this going to be on?" Because we are so dependent on donations, program directors know how to listen to their audience. Call the program director and request they run the show. Just ask the person at the front desk who to talk to about ordering a tape. They'll know who to put you through to. It can be called many different names.
urbanpioneer
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby MDG » Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:59 am

Thanks, Pioneer! I'm...uh...quite nosy, Image, as you can see, in the hope I can suggest new and more progressive ways. I can see that some PBS station management might take exception to such nosiness. Please don't dig too deeply on my account!!! However, forward-thinking executives might see usefulness in opening or re-opening trade in the field of program sharing, if that is possible under their charter. The Internet makes it possible for the public to see that many programs are created by individual PBS stations, and that, through some system, they are available to other PBS stations. Yet, I've heard the comment that at least one station is 'not a store'. This may be one of the 'rules' that PBS stations must operate under. So, the public may not have as free access to their programs as we are used to in the retail marketplace. Hence, the pledging system. It costs us more per program, I know, but we are investing in the whole PBS system, and that is a priceless package. Many would like to pledge PBS, who just can't. We who can, once in a while, help in their stead. The shoe may be on the other foot one day. Image As I say, I am not entitled to know any more than any other member of the public, and I have no desire to offend any PBS employee who may wonder why I ask questions. So, if you are thinking to ask questions simply because I raised them, please don't. I'm pretty good at schmoozing. Image Sometimes I can drop hints that get people thinking in new directions. That's what I'll try here. Perhaps I can pledge my local PBS, and receive the premiums I prefer. It's worth a try, I think. Many thanks, Mahara [This message has been edited by MDG (edited January 05, 2004).]
MDG
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby urbanpioneer » Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:45 pm

Here is the message I got from Friends of Iowa Public Television. They did not tell me the name of the tape available at $100, so please check what you're buying if you decide to call. "We have them available as thank you gifts. They are at the $100.00 pledge level. Send your friend our way if they are interested in pledging for this. Janet McFadden Donor Relations 800-728-2828 or 515-242-3137"
urbanpioneer
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby MDG » Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:55 pm

Thanks so much, Pioneer. You're a doll! ~ Image ~ Mahara
MDG
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby urbanpioneer » Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:57 pm

Dear Mahara, I did not give away any trade secrets in my response. (I'm not sure I know any) Some PBS affiliates have the means to produce shows, some do not. All stations would LOVE to have their shows picked up and shown in other markets. Many other shows are produced independently in hopes it will be picked up. There are trade shows where people hawk their shows to all stations, PBS and otherwise. The point of producing any show is to get it seen.
urbanpioneer
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby MDG » Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:52 am

I will do whatever it takes to get my hands on that video. But I really do want KCTS to see the value of airing it, especially as a fund-raiser. They already know that Barbara draws. And I want them to see some fund-raising in making any PBS-produced program available to pledgers, if that is possible. In other words, I want to put a bee in KCTS's bonnet. I don't even care if I seem cheeky, telling them their business. I just want that video widely spread! I've done trade shows, and I'm married to a darling who is the world's greatest salesman, I'm sure. He's sold items worth millions, well, one or two, so if you ever need his wisdom... Image Thanks again, Pioneer. Mahara [This message has been edited by MDG (edited January 07, 2004).]
MDG
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SusanP » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:48 am

I wrote to both WGBH in Boston and the NH PBS in early December and never heard back from either. So I will try to call and see if I can get some response.
SusanP
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Next

Return to Rave Reviews