IT'S ONLY TOO LATE IF YOU DON'T START NOW

Kudos for Barbara's workshops, audio programs, workbook courses, PBS specials and books

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

IT'S ONLY TOO LATE IF YOU DON'T START NOW

Postby BarbaraSher » Thu Dec 20, 2001 9:41 pm

12/20/01 > No question, just a BIG THANKS, I LOVE YOU and HAPPY HOLIDAYS to Barbara. I > don't know if she'll ever see this, but I wish I could tell her that I'm on > page 199 of her book "It's Only Too Late If You Don't Start Now" and > WOW...this book has helped me feel SO GOOD about what has been working within > me for so long. Not just about going for that dream, but letting a hell of a > lot go!!!! Thanks a Million. J
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Sun Mar 17, 2002 11:26 am

From Amazon.com today, 3/17/02 (I love this stuff! Thanks to all amazon.com reviewers!)

It's Only Too Late If You Don't Start Now: How to Create Your Second Life at Any Age by Barbara Sher
Ingram: Shattering the myth that turns midlife (or any age) into a crisis, this provocative guide is packed with sage advice. Watch for career counselor Barbara Sher's upcoming PBS special.

Awesome!, May 27, 2000 Reviewer: A reader from Steamboat Springs, CO., USA Having read many, many self-help, motivational books, this one is 'top notch'. As a 45 year old nurse contemplating (again), a career change, this book has helped me decide to 'go for it'. Barbara has an uncanny way of having you look back on your life....and making you want to step forward with great anticipation for the future. I recommend this book to anyone who is nearing midlife....it will help you through a very tough time of life.

Another masterpiece, April 17, 2000 Reviewer: A reader from Ohio
Once again, Barbara Sher has created a masterpiece of encouragement. Throughout, this book inspires the reader to hope and believe that anything is possible, then supports those ideas both with logic and with an understanding of human nature. I am reading it a second time, using it almost as a personal cheering section that's available to me daily. If you're hesitating to embark on a new path at mid-life, this book will get you going and help you choose the best path. I'd recommend it for anyone, not just mid-lifers.

I wish I would have had this book at 40., January 17, 2002 Reviewer: A reader from Billings, MT United States

I wish I would have had this book at 40, I knew the second half of my life could be very good, but I was going about trying to find it in the wrong way. Looking for that last romantic love, worrying every time I looked in the mirror and saw my mother, the creeping pounds, starting a search for that fulfilling career and the loneliness of being a single woman - again. This book has helped me to sit and review how I was looking in the wrong directions to achieve the happiness I want for the rest of my life. I have read many of Barbara Sher's books and I think this is the best one that she has written. It's insightful, honest and makes you search yourself to understand why we think and act the way we do. Quite honestly, it has changed my life and I can't wait to get started.

Read the other reviews first..., November 9, 2001 Reviewer: crazystar from Redondo Beach, CA USA

The positive reviews of this great read are right on the money. What I add is my suggestion that this book be read by 20 and 30 year-olds. I truly wish this book was around 15 years ago. Reads like an intelligent, enjoyable conversation describing a fantastic roadmap/guideline/philosophy for life. I lost count of how many "aha" moments I had. Fear of aging - not any more, that's been blown out of the water.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Fri May 10, 2002 3:04 pm

You only needed to print one copy of your book, It's Only Too Late... because that's how I felt when I read it, like it was written with just my name on it. Your insight and knowledge regarding this period of life lifts off the page and sits right on the reader's should the rest of the day or night. Nudging at the questions which ou present. Then the exercises, oh, how well done. They led the way to what dwelled inside me. Yours was not the first book I read on this subject, but it was the first that created results. I am fifty-five years old, family raised and in the wonderful position financially of not having to work. So why did I find myself miserable, depressed and frustrated? I need to find a purpose. I need to define my second life. Thank you, PW
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Thu Nov 28, 2002 6:31 pm

November 19, 2002 02:52 PM
Although I am 32, I have been reading it's only too late If You Don't Start Now: How to Create Your Second Life After 40 . Although I have been evolving more definitively for a while, I just could not make the final breakthrough. Rather, I could not understand why no matter how hard I worked or tried, the wall remained impaled with only holes of light shining through -- only to tease me. Beyond frustrating needless to say. Mind you, I am an INTP for crying out loud! Since I knew that an answer existed, I prayed and awoke a week ago to Barbara Sher on a PBS telethon. One eye was half open, but I listened and nodded in accord to everything she said. Finally, the process began of dissipating that fog, which sat right in the middle of my forehead.

Still, reading and doing the exercises in this book has liberated me beyond my wildest dreams. Gosh, I feel so much lighter that it's as if I am a total vegan, again. Overall, everything that seemed like a vice grip on my life fell into its on compartment of resolution. At this point, I plan to read Chapter 11 "Turning Dreams into Goals" this afternoon. Before this week ends, I will be "Going for Greatness."

November 25, 2002 10:19 AM
I'm also in my early thirties and I definately needed that book and others. Her ideas really are liberating. She makes you see the world in ways you never imagined before. The funny thing is once she turns on that magic light in your head, you walk around thinking -- how the heck did I miss all this before!
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Sat Feb 08, 2003 8:17 am

Thank you for a wonderful workshop yesterday in Tampa. Had I know it was going to be a workshop, I probably wouldn't have come. You're so tricky. I spoke to you briefly afterwards, and ...told you I was in therapy, and then saw your TV show and you helped me greatly. But when you asked what it was that had helped me, I went blank. So, now that I'm more composed - it was your whole explaination of what a mid-life crisis really is. I was in one big time, full-blast, destroying myself and everyone around me. Then when I heard your program, it suddenly all made sense. Everything my therapist was trying to get me to understand, but wasn't telling me, was suddenly so easy to understand, and cope with and manage. You saved me a lot of money. So thank you!!!! Tampa, FL
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Sat Feb 08, 2003 12:34 pm

This is a thank you note, Barbara, and I wish I could write it on pretty paper with colored ink so that you could get the full impact of my appreciation. I've heard your tapes, attended your seminar and read It's Only Too Late . . . I am so grateful. I'm currently revising [a special memoir] and then I will get on with my other writing projects: a novel, a poetry series, multiple short stories, etc. Maybe some day we will share a stage or a book signing together! I've been getting steadily more focused since I turned 50 (7 years ago) and find that now I know "it" is happening. Your work and particularly your book have given me encouragement and clarity. Phooey on all the programming and patterning -- catch me if you can -- I've got Barbara on my side! Thank you again for the courage of your convictions, an entertaining and enlightening style, and especially for walking your talk. You're a Doll! With warmest, heartfelt regards, BSN
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Fri Feb 28, 2003 12:46 pm

Barbara, saw u on UNC-TV past weekend...and was laughing so hard I couldn't stop. U are fantastic at providing us with a "real perspective". I started doing the things u talked about about 22 yrs ago....got me out of the furniture mill in North Carolina...and into a B-52 as a navigator in the USAF...it's so true what u say about just start tunning into doing what u like ...apply it little by little...i proof it works....I've been a closet musician all my life (started playing drums at age 9) and since retirement in 97 have been getting my freedom bk...enjoying every second in music now..(I've since learned piano...and have been playing Bass since 79...so I'm well on my way.......It's so amazing how people roll up and die at such an early age......I'm looking at playing Rock (I'm 51 now) for a living when I hit 62 and can get my social security......keep on talking, thanks for ur words,
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:28 pm

You have to read this book!, October 15, 2001 Reviewer: A reader from Edgar, WI USA

This is a great book. It is simply written, but contains powerful, life-changing ideas. I am buying a bunch of copies and sending it to all my best friends and relatives that are over 40.

Everything's about to get new again, 2001 Reviewer: Susan G. Dunn (see more about me) from San Antonio, TX United States

"Everything's about to be new again." I would never have believed that before I started this book. I felt like I'd 'been there/done that/met him/seen them' for all eternity. I was down about as low as you can go, due to a combination of events coinciding with middle age, and now I've never been happier, have a exciting new career, a whole new outlook, and am having more fun than I've ever had. Her exercises are great and so is her outlook. YOU GO BARBARA, and take me with you!!

Barb is the Best, September 5, 2002 Reviewer: Robert M. Kane (see more about me) from California

Forget all those other self-help gurus who only make you angry by dredging up the muck of your childhood and rubbing your face in it. Barb has a more practical focus. She is witty, funny, entertaining and thought provoking. She has obviously given a lot of thought to the topics in this book-Nature's hormone-driven plan to make you a breeder, having your parents' dreams imposed on you, aging, approval seeking, love, power, courage, goals, etc. This book can free you to pursue your OWN dreams by showing how society has conspired to keep you down. A must read for anyone, no matter what age.

So honest, so meaningful, May 11, 2001 Reviewer: A reader from Chicago, IL USA This book deals so directly and honestly with the issues of changing your life. I can't get over how the author has thought through the desire for change and the challenges of actually making the changes. This book is more meaningful and pertinent than all the coaching books I ever bought before. It was more targeted at mid-life changes than I expected but it has relevant material for people of any age who want to change any aspect of their life in a significant way. Be prepared to be get shaken up as you read and to be real honest with yourself. At age 50 and considering a major change in my work, it was the perfect book for me.

Help and hope for the second half, December 15, 2000 Reviewer: mike herlihy (see more about me) from Washington DC Like a coach's halftime inspiration, I couldn't wait to get started after reading this book. I have liked all of Barbara Sher's books, but this is her crowning work of wisdom. While written for midlife, it speaks to any age and anyone seeking an authentic life. The chapters are funny and full of exercises and questions to break through conventions and assumptions that keep people from listening to their deeper urges. I particularly liked the exercises that helped me relive my childhood loves and desires and to find the core that related to my life today. I liked her discussion of the logic of past mistakes, which create the platform for fashioning the next stage of life. This is not your typical career book. It is for anyone who has heard an inner voice calling them to take a risk and create work and a life that is entirely original. It convinced me it is never too late.

WOW This book is a life changer!, June 5, 2000 Reviewer: hamsterfarm2000 from Leeds, UK Have you got to 40 and thought your life was over? Well think again. It's Only Too Late If You Don't Start Now is here to show you that not only is your life *not* over at 40 - it's only just beginning! In this life changing text Barbara Sher teaches us how to ignore social convention, turn our backs on cultural indoctrination and really start living. Did you know that the 'first half' of your life was only a period where you made your mistakes. It certainly wasn't the be all and end all. Bringing into focus once again your dreams, wishes and ambitions, here Ms Sher shows us how we have not yet even started to really live. After reading this book to the end page, I flipped back to the first page and started reading again, it's so profound and a 'different' person finished reading the book than the one who started reading it! I turned 40 this year and this book has changed my life
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:31 pm

Permission: Ok to publish Date: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 Time: 02:23 PM Question: Dear Barbara, I just finished reading, "It's Only Too Late if You Don't Start Now". I just wanted to thank you so much for the transformation this book created in my life. My stress level is way down, I feel so much more "me" and driven to go for my life's passion. Normally, when I read books that have "exercises" in them - I just skip over them. Determined, however, to change my life, I did each one of them painstakingly and - THEY WORK!!! Some of my changes were quite dramatic and accompanied by a flood of tears and some were more subtle and nuanced. I feel like a new person - more confident - more able to take on the many challenges in my life. THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for your beautiful and compassionate work. Love, Suzanne Seagrave
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:41 am

Checking to see how Refuse to Choose is doing and started nosing around my other books in BarnesandNoble.com. where I found these customer reviews: Number of Reviews: 2 Average Rating: (5 stars)

Kate, September 2, 2003, Mostly slanted towards women, this book is an excellent read. You'll be surprised how Barbara nails your experiences and thoughts right on the money! Her other books are tools to help you figure out and then create the life you want. This book explains a lot of the feelings that are underlying the unrest.
Also recommended: I Could Do Anything If Only I Knew What That Was?

Bridge Across Forever A reviewer (Hill5432@aol.com), April 25, 2001,
Give this book to people you really like I never believed a single book could change my life in so many positive ways. Barbara Sher has a real gift in 'telling it like it is' and helping readers put their lives into perspective. Why do so many of us spend so many years and tears living an unfulfilling life? Ms. Sher tells us why and what we can do about it. I'm a better friend, sister, mother, daughter, wife, student, and teacher, now that I spend my time on the really important things with more efficiency and more joy of living. When mid-life hits, you can either panic or start to appreciate the gifts in your life which are just waiting for you to look for them. At 46, I really have created my second life and this book gave me the blueprint.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:48 pm

Not Only For The "Over 40" Group! , December 19, 2005 Reviewer: S. Guzzi - See all my reviews
I've read this book at least 3 times, and I came back to buy a new copy because the one I have is SO worn, underlined, written in, the cover is missing, in short- at times in life- it's been truly a life-line, a friend, and what has taken my hand and pulled me through.
The first time I read it I was in my late 20's, feeling direction-less, kicked around, and not at all sure of how to take the reigns in my life. This helped. I read it, I "Talked back" by writing in the margins, I answered the questions at the end of the chapters, and I learned a lot about myself. I learned that I had been focusing much/most of my life, my goals, my plans- on trying to please others, trying to get approval, because of things that happened when I was too young to even see that it was impossible to please those I was trying to please- anyway! I learned that I was working hard for things that I was "supposed" to want- but actually- I didn't really want them. I re-grouped, and spent some time adjusting, and was able to find a new level of comfort and happiness.
I did not give up trying to feel pretty, I did not stop wearing makeup (By the way... just making note of earlier reviews) I read the book again, several years later, in my 30's... as I started FREAKING about aging, and this time, I saw that all her quotes by others about aging- where the SAME things I was thinking! PHEW, I was not alone! This is SCARY STUFF!! All these "Oh My GAWD... It's too late to do this, it's too late to do that...Maybe I'll never be a superstar!!!(Oh no, Maybe I don't WANT to be a superstar!)" and this book helped to debunk that... Thank god! And Now, I just finished reading it, because I'm looking for new dreams, now with my children leaving home for college... And I'm sending copies to my siblings and friends. ~~~~~ Buy this book if you are 20, if you are 30, if you are 40,50 or 60. Buy ANY of Barbara Sher's books, She is an Excellent, Educated, Brilliant, Motivational Person, with a LOT to offer- and She does not have that "Anything you dream, you can have" attitude. She's realistic and concrete and sane and rational.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:57 pm

I wish I would have had this book at 40., January 17, 2002 Reviewer: A reader I wish I would have had this book at 40, I knew the second half of my life could be very good, but I was going about trying to find it in the wrong way. Looking for that last romantic love, worrying every time I looked in the mirror and saw my mother, the creeping pounds, starting a search for that fulfilling career and the loneliness of being a single woman - again. This book has helped me to sit and review how I was looking in the wrong directions to achieve the happiness I want for the rest of my life. I have read many of Barbara Sher's books and I think this is the best one that she has written. It's insightful, honest and makes you search yourself to understand why we think and act the way we do. Quite honestly, it has changed my life and I can't wait to get started. November 9, 2001 Reviewer: Risto Bee "Topher" (South of LAX) - See all my reviews The positive reviews of this great read are right on the money. What I add is my suggestion that this book be read by 20 and 30 year-olds. I truly wish this book was around 15 years ago. Reads like an intelligent, enjoyable conversation describing a fantastic roadmap/guideline/philosophy for life. I lost count of how many "aha" moments I had. Fear of aging - not any more, that's been blown out of the water.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: IT'S ONLY TOO LATE IF YOU DON'T START NOW

Postby BarbaraSher » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:31 pm

Subject: Kudos to You! Date: July 2, 2007 9:05:43 AM EDT Barbara, I just started reading some of your books and viewed your video on "Creating Your Second Life After 40". Just wanted to let you know that I really identify with the information/advice you give, as well as your delivery. IT ALL MAKES SENSE TO ME! I have read quite a few inspirational books, such as "The Secret". The messages in "The Secret" may be good, but with my questioning nature, I haven't bought off on it yet! I have identified with you, more than any other inspirational speaker I have seen! I very much admire your advice, humor, and pioneering spirit! What a wonderful gift it is to truly encourage people towards their own happiness and fulfillment. Bless you and the messages you put forth in the world! Claudia A.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby JasonGawker » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:50 pm

Hello! Whoa, Barbara. Your book has changed my life. It is indeed NOT to late to start! I seriously took that advice, and now I'm starting and creating and my life is just amazingly better. The most important lesson I learned was that physical health is really important, so kudos! Jason
JasonGawker
New User
New User

Postby sallypz » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:23 pm

I just finished reading this book today. Love it. In my early 40's I bought the piano I'd wanted ever since I can remember & found out it wasn't as easy to play as I hoped. But I struggled through. Then in my mid-40's my husband died unexpectedly & I felt as if I had to 'start over' as a single person. So I moved to a place where my family wanted me to live& found in order to live alone I had to reawaken some old dreams, here I also went through my mid-life crisis. By 49 almost all my family had died off (with the exception of one child who lived far away)--I hated being without family--so I adopted a child, another new life. Now at 56 I've lost my job and moved again. Every day more of the gifts inside me are (re) awakening and to quote ch 12, "Now I'm headed in the right direction. I've opened my eyes and can see through the illusions that kept me locked in my first life. Now I'm ready to go after the dreams no one but me could ever dream, they'll lead me to my future and away from my past." Like the title of ch 12, I'm "Going for Greatness". sallypz (MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Next

Return to Rave Reviews