IT'S ONLY TOO LATE IF YOU DON'T START NOW

Kudos for Barbara's workshops, audio programs, workbook courses, PBS specials and books

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: IT'S ONLY TOO LATE IF YOU DON'T START NOW

Postby Tituba » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:33 pm

And so it goes - another person who didn't notice the calendar http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/20/arts/ ... ebn4H/w2aw
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:30 pm

:-)
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sallypz » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:29 am

Let's see....when the average life span was age 40 the women in my family were living to be 100....I figure that means since they've improved things and the average life span is now somewhere around 80....that means with the longevity typical of women in my family I'll probably live to be 120......Well, I'm 56 now...so that means that I'm not even half way there....so I guess I still got a lot of livin' left to do........and a WHOLE LOT of Life left in me!!! sallypz(MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:13 pm

5.0 out of 5 stars From despair to renewal, June 20, 2007
By
Eileen M. Fay (Saugerties, NY) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: It's Only Too Late If You Don't Start Now: HOW TO CREATE YOUR SECOND LIFE AT ANY AGE (Paperback)
I know my title might sound a little dramatic, but it is true all the same. I have read several of Barbara Sher's books, and all contain immensely helpful ideas, but this one literally saved me from what the poets would call a "slough of despond."

When our youthful dreams don't pan out, and time flies by as it does, a lot of us find ourselves mired in middle age with no idea how we got there and nothing interesting to do, seemingly condemned to dwindle away into a miserable old age.

I was in a complete quandary in my fifties. Years of disappointing circumstances left me feeling totally hopeless about my future. That "life begins at 40" stuff seemed like nonsense to me, only for people who were physically fit and well off - neither of which was I.

I had no idea what I was going to do with myself, either for employment or satisfaction of any kind in life. Thank goodness I stumbled across one of the PBS shows with Barbara Sher. Even though it was about another of her books, "Refuse to Choose," it was there that I heard of "It's Only Too Late If You Don't Start Now." Her presentation was so appealing, straightforward, and logical, that I had to get the book.

Don't ever think that the idea of "never too late" is a cliché; it is TRUE, if you follow Barbara's brilliant steps, laid out so clearly in this book. You will never again feel that you are alone if you read it; and you will absolutely find a way to make the most of the rest of your life, WHENEVER you begin. But DO begin! Do read every word of this wonderful book and I promise you this uniquely insightful and empathetic author will make it worth your while.

I know there are a few Amazon reviews that take issue with Barbara's ideas about the unimportance of trying too hard to stay "beautiful" all our lives. All I can say is it was a relief to me to let go of the narcissism that our culture imposes on us. It doesn't mean we don't care about ourselves, just that we realize the importance of developing and emphasizing our other qualities.

I shall always be grateful for the "second life" that I have created for myself with Barbara Sher's invaluable help. The way she taught me to look at things was completely unexpected. I never was and still am not a "self-help" book reader. But Sher's books are somehow above and beyond that description. I hope that this one in particular stays in print forever, so future generations of people will be helped as I was.

By the way, even though it took me to be in my fifties to "discover" Barbara Sher, I highly recommend her books, this one especially, to much younger people. If you read this when you're 25, you won't be so likely to fall prey to the many myths about our older age selves.
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No
Report abuse | Permalink
Comment Comment

13 of 13 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Mid-Life Crisis? Any Crisis? Buy This Book, It Will Help, May 12, 2007
By
Reader from Washington, DC "Reader" (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: It's Only Too Late If You Don't Start Now: HOW TO CREATE YOUR SECOND LIFE AT ANY AGE (Paperback)
Dear Friends:

Full disclosure -- I am a big fan of Barbara Sher's other books :)

But when I first bought "It's Only Too Late If You Don't Start Now" -- I was skeptical. How, I thought, could Ms. Sher convince me that a whole new "second life" awaited people entering middle age?

I was in the depths of a full-blown midlife crisis (very physically sick, mentally depressed, unemployed, many other personal losses, nearing age 50) -- this didn't seem like a transition to a new life, more like the end of my life, period.

But Sher's book gently walked me through all the destructive myths that people entering midlife believe -- and then showed me why the myths were wrong, and how I might construct a newer, more satisfying "second life" based on ideas that I had not previously considered.

I no longer felt isolated with my problems, as Sher quoted from happily-married, prosperous, successful clients -- who, despite outwardly being in much better shape than me -- were asking all of the same distraught questions about "now I'm 40 or 50 or 60 or 70 -- what do I do with the rest of my life? Is it too late for many of my goals? Is this all there is?"

Sher answers that it isn't too late -- "middle age" and "old age" in our era are very different than they were for previous generations. We have opportunities that they never had, but we must become aware of them.

Now, I recommend that interested readers read the whole book -- while it is written in clear, lucid language, Sher pulls no punches in discussing in the first few chapters how many of us arrive at middle age feeling "life sucks, and then you die."

But gradually, as you travel through the book, answering the questions she poses for the reader, you slowly start working out new, positive ways of thinking about your future.

The book made a big difference in my life, and helped me start climbing out of the pit I had fallen into. I am doing well in my life nowadays, and eagerly looking forward to the next 30-40 years, with many plans and ideas. Hopefully, the book will do the same for you.

I also recommend the book to people younger than 40 -- if I had been able to read this book in my 20s or 30s, it might have helped me make a better adjustment to entering middle age.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:29 pm

I've purchased several copies of this book and sent them to people (sometimes anonymously).
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Rave Reviews