Have a few child care ideas, but need help.

Each dreamer gets one topic. Ready to move toward your dream? Come in and open a topic in your name so we can note your progress, cheer you on, console you, curse your enemies, take up collections and generally keep track of you and your excellent dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Have a few child care ideas, but need help.

Postby shanae.s » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:36 pm

Thanks for looking. This is what I have: 30 years nanny/caretaker.As much as I love it, I also get depressed because I feel lonely and I need to be around people more. I am very good at it though and do enjoy the children very much. Postpartum Doula Diploma for Montessori teacher, but never taught (i think it was more a money making scheme on their part) Passion for children's candid photography Writing (I can't write children's books I don't think. If you go to Yahoo Anwers, I keep moving up the board and at level 4 with many 'Best Answers; on many topics, Children and Relationships, my specialty. I've been though a TON, and understand people very deeply. I just don't understand why I can't figure out my own life! lol). Have just sent away to become an educator for Happiest Baby on the Block. Dr. Karp is still working on Happiest Toddler (which I am sure will bring more business). I have no home, no man, no cat, no dog, a small adult family (wasn't able to have children), basically, nothing holding my back. A yearning for excitement and travel possibly. Oh, I almost forgot, no money really. Oops, welcome to the world. I would happily take candid photographs all day, but I am at odds at best camera to buy and with the economy, it's fairly iffy iffy. I live in Canada and we are better off here slightly. I would happily write all day, but that doesn't pay the bills right away. I am an ENFP. I am an extreme extrovert and so staying home with children...is something I excel at...but makes me feel lonely and that I am capable of so much more. I put an ad asking if people would pay to help them with their newborns and toddlers to sleep, newborn care etc, and they all said no. Ok it was 5 people, who's counting? lol My personality is warm, friendly, easy going and everyone says they like me and trust me. I just tend to be a bit shy telling a parent information because it is their child and they will do what they will do naturally anyway. I was all excited about the baby and toddler educator (it''s a specific way of handing children like nothing I have ever seen before. It is highly regarded! and respected!) Other than that, I was wondering if you could come up with some ideas for me. I wanted to maybe do the photography but find a way to make it different than anyone else. Some kind of art or something. What I am afraid of doing is buying the camera and then not succeeding. That is always my fear and always stops me. I am getting older (48) and I am not opposed to travel. Do people want baby nurses any more? I will wouldn't have a life. I remain basically alone. My challenge is I am very good at taking care of others, but then I feel empty inside because it's all for them and I get lost in the 'caretaking' part and then after awhile, I want to move on. I am too good at being a caretaker because it's what I do the best, but it is not what makes me the happiest or fills me up. And ideas are tremendously appreciated. Thank you. :D
shanae.s
New User
New User

Re: Have a few child care ideas, but need help.

Postby JeannetteLS » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:59 pm

Hi. Just wanted to say that there is a whole lot there. I want to really think about it. You might want to put the camera part on the wish obstacle forum--way to experiment with cameras without shelling out big bucks, perhaps? As for the rest, there's a lot to mull over. I'm responding because you are new, and I wouldn't want you to be discouraged if it takes a day or two .. or more for folks to get started. It doesn't mean we are not looking and thinking about your situation. WELCOME!
JeannetteLS
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Jason » Wed May 20, 2009 6:36 pm

■■■■■
Last edited by Jason on Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jason
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby sallypz » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:21 pm

Have you taken a photography class?? If not, do so. They are available at local community colleges. Even if the class is not photographing the subjects you prefer...they can teach you a lot about how to set up a photo, lighting etc....maybe the instructor can even recommend a specific camera. Newborn baby/infant photography portraits. My older daughter had a baby recently and a friend (of a friend) of hers is trying to break into small business as a professional portrait photographer of children (it's actually candids 'cause who can make a baby sit still to pose??) She has taken multiple photos of our new baby posted some on her web site as examples of her work...used some for a project she did in her photography class. Something like that?? (Ever heard of Anne Geddes...the infant photographer..I think that's how you spell her name...study her career to see how she got started) Then there's art photography...children's candids can make wonderful artistic photographs....with enough practice you could display your work at art galleries, sell it. Lovely candid pictures of kids are even used on greeting cards and calendars. (Do you need to get the parent's permission to use photos of their children???----don't know) Why can't you write children's stories?? Have you ever tried??? I have, as a hobby, have given some to friends kids as 'gifts'...Included one with the Christmas cards I mailed out one year......never published though....but it is a fun hobby. Good luck in your search...hope the ideas have helped. sallypz (MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby easyas123 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:29 pm

Hi fellow Canuck :D A suggestion regarding the photography - a colleague of mine has a 2-year-old in daycare, and her caregiver's sister (I think) was offering free photo sessions just before Christmas. The results were stunning...as in, stu-huh-nning...and my colleague excitedly showed the pictures to the whole office, directed people to the sister's website, etc. I can tell you that when I was looking to get family photos done, my colleague's caregiver's sister was the first person I thought of, and her services are not cheap! Maybe you could offer a similar freebie to the families you're working with? If my observation was anything to go by, it could be a rockin networking opportunity!
easyas123
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Sangrail » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:47 pm

Maybe you could look at ways you could work with children, but in an environment where you work around more adults as well? Nannying just a few children can be very lonely and isolating. So, maybe early childhood education? At a good pre-school, daycare or playcenter? Or, anything that parents would be bringing their toddlers along to. I have friends taking their children to: * Toddler language classes * 'Music Garden' - a music workshop for babies and toddlers What kinds of operations like this are running in your community? Could you contact ALL of them, and ask whether they would be looking for experienced help, if they know of anyone else needing experienced help (they'd also know if some of their parents needed nannies), or if they know of any gaps in the market? The last one may sound a bit cheeky, but people can be very helpful.
Sangrail
New Poster
New Poster

Postby egap00 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:54 am

Hello there,
What are the disadvantages of putting your child in a daycare?
Thanks in advance
egap00
New User
New User

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:16 pm

Hi, Egap,

I think most people put kids in daycare because today, because they have to work and need a safe place to leave their kids. Day care can be a great experience. Other kids to play with. I had my daughter in daycare and it was great. The day care moms were second moms for her and tended to add to her upbringing. That said, I'd suggest checking carefully before placing your kid somewhere, and frequently showing up unexpectedly, especially when the kids are really young and can't tell you if something's wrong.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Idea Parties