I'm desperate, maybe there is no right career for me?

Each dreamer gets one topic. Ready to move toward your dream? Come in and open a topic in your name so we can note your progress, cheer you on, console you, curse your enemies, take up collections and generally keep track of you and your excellent dream.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: I'm desperate, maybe there is no right career for me?

Postby mikeisjoyous » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:26 am

Hi friend:) I'd like to suggest something different. Take an interest of yours. Write down what someone would have to do to break into the field. Check out the books of Nathaniel Branden about creating a workshop and raising self-esteem. As I recall, the EST seminars of some decades ago have migrated to a different organization. Seek it out and learn how they do what they do. Werner Erhard made a fine workshop then, though his philosophy made no sense. I understand Jean Houston is creating a workshop recently. Learn what you can. Go to folks really successful in your chosen area and discreetly pick their brains. Finally, go into coaching folks about how to become and earn money in your chosen area. Possibly create a workshop of your own. It would unite your need for creativity, sociability, and your specific area of intetest.
mikeisjoyous
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby mikeisjoyous » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:34 am

Oh yes, a really fine book about creativity is Your Key To Creative Thinking by Samm Baker. In addition to Branden, I suggest the book Self Creation by George Weinberg.
I personally am enjoying and getting value from Barbara's daily emails about procrastination.
mikeisjoyous
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby WindShadow » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:23 am

Look up the Japanese idea of Ikigai. Finding the appropriate chart will help you visualize the process. This diagram is the most helpful for me: https://www.performanceexcellencenetwork.org/pensights/finding-lifes-meaning-quest-discover-ikigai-pen-august-2017/
WindShadow
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:10 pm

Asiana83 wrote:Dear Vera3339,

I listened to a Ted talk recently about how much we hold ourselves back in life waiting to find our calling or our "passion". So much of finding your niche in life is just experience, being yourself, and random chance. The link to this TED talk is https://youtu.be/6MBaFL7sCb8. I wish I had heard this when I was younger because there are many things I didn't do because I felt afraid of making big decisions that might narrow my options or take my energy away from my "calling". I hope you have a good time while sorting it out!

Best of Luck!

That's so true.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Idea Parties