Dream to be a wildlife photographer

Each dreamer gets one topic. Ready to move toward your dream? Come in and open a topic in your name so we can note your progress, cheer you on, console you, curse your enemies, take up collections and generally keep track of you and your excellent dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Dream to be a wildlife photographer

Postby photodad101 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:12 am

My dream has always been to be a wildlife photographer. I have no idea where to start to find a job. I would gladly take a job doing any kind of photography if it could lead up to wildlife. I have no problem traveling in order to be a wildlife photographer. I would like to end up photographing for a magazine or something someday. I am being forced into a new career and feel it is time to go after my dream... If anyone can help, please do. Anything would be great!
photodad101
New User
New User

Postby twisterintexas » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:09 am

Do you do any photography now? Do you have any equipment? Do you want to freelance or find a job in the field? Either way - employee or agent - you'll need to build up a portfolio with published work so that you can credential yourself. You might need to start "on the botton" - like photographing stuff for your local newspaper - to get a list of credits started. Call your newspaper and find out how they accept photographs (what format, what topics, etc). It takes a long time to build up a portfolio in professional photography. Start shooting pictures today! And then take more! (I'm sure you're already doing this). Learn about shutter speeds, light composition, and your potential market. The book Writer's Market lists magazines that accept photos; there are probably other books that offer information about the photographer's market. Also, look into what kind of photography is standard for submissions now. Do you need negatives, slides, or is digital photography ok? If you don't have much in the way of background knowledge, you might want to take continuing education courses in photography. You should subscribe to a good photography magazine. They list contests, and even the words "honorable mention" can go a long way in your portfolio. If you can, write an article or team up with someone who can to add a story to your photography. That might help sell your work! Good luck - I hope some of these ideas helped.
twisterintexas
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby pattyn » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:12 am

- Patty Newbold
Director, Sher Success Teams
Marriage Education Author/Speaker - assumelove.com - enjoybeingmarried.com
pattyn
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby twisterintexas » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:19 am

Pattn, You outdone yourself - that list is FANTASTIC! Whoa, nelly! I'm having such a fun time perusing it that I'm thinking about becoming a photographer myself! Too bad the only pictures I take that are consistently good are close-ups of my thumbs. What a great resource you are!
twisterintexas
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby pattyn » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:59 am

Thanks, twisterintexas. I don't know a darn thing about wildlife photography, but I know a fun question when I see one. Like you, I enjoyed learning how they support themselves. My sister did a stint as a cat photographer -- not wild ones, but those in cat shows. She'd bring a portable screened porch to the shows to shoot in, to get the cat owner's thumb out of the picture.
- Patty Newbold
Director, Sher Success Teams
Marriage Education Author/Speaker - assumelove.com - enjoybeingmarried.com
pattyn
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby soni » Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:26 pm

Another option would be to take a job working with wildlife (zoo, rescue center, rehabilitation center, safaris or tours biz, etc) and take your camera along with you to work on your skills during breaks, slow times, etc. Expand from there. For example, if you work for a safari group then once you get good at photographing the animals, you could start offering the trip's tourists "night before" workshops on how to take the best pictures on their tomorrows outing. Or, once you got established in a rehabilitation facility (and got good with your camera) you could offer to shoot the animals for a fundraising calendar or something similar. That's how you can develop expertise in both at the same time, and make some money doing it.
Soni Pitts Personal blog (not always safe for work) http://sonipitts.com/blog
soni
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby luvadventure » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:48 pm

Photodad, Check out this website. You may find it interesting and inspiring. http://www.naturephotographers.net/index.html I love photographing flowers, trees and landscapes in my spare time. Gets me out into nature and is very meditative for me. Good luck with your aspirations. Linda
Enabling people to achieve the life of their dreams through healing of the body/mind/spirit. http://bodylifesolutions.com Beautiful nature photography, gifts and products. http://www.cafepress.com/k_linda
luvadventure
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: Dream to be a wildlife photographer

Postby Rylan_06 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:26 am

I was in same dilemma as photodad was in. I am keen to photography but my passion, as a Photographer in Port Macquarie, is in infancy. Vising this forum has given me a direction to this exciting career. Thanks all members for their valuable thoughts.
Rylan_06
New User
New User

Postby SquarePeg » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:43 am

I'm glad this old thread got bumped up. I created an account on DeviantArt several years ago in order to explore my fondness for writing. But then I discovered I enjoyed photography so much more. Now I take my camera with me on my lunchtime walks. Usually I don't take any pictures. Sometimes I'll encounter dragonflies, birds or bees and shoot them when they alight on something, just for practice. I've captured a frog and a snake on the trail, too. As well, I enjoy shooting dramatic sunsets and the occasional rainbow. Plus I've got loads of photos of our cats and dog!

Welcome, Rylan!
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby heater » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:57 am

Here is an idea that might "keep you going" on the side while you keep your options opened.

Researchers say that spending time with animals is good for one's spirit, mood and health. And those things can't hurt one's persistence and creativity. You might find that that is a large part of what you seek.

My friend volunteers for the humane society and they post photos of their pets that are candidates for adoption. Volunteer and get their brief introductory training and volunteer to walk the dogs and so on. After they know who you are, develop a blog with a super cute name so people can see the pets that are candidates for adoption. If you don't know how to use blogger, don't be daunted; it is just one of many things that initially seems complex but is no more complex than the first time one learned how to use email.
heater
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:47 pm

Photographers, please check my post - wish to finish "The Molly Chronicles."
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Idea Parties