W: To find more energy healing participants O: Living in IA

Each dreamer gets one topic. Ready to move toward your dream? Come in and open a topic in your name so we can note your progress, cheer you on, console you, curse your enemies, take up collections and generally keep track of you and your excellent dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

W: To find more energy healing participants O: Living in IA

Postby NaciraMinan » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:33 am

This is a first-time post. Thank you for looking. Dare I say it? I want to forward my knowledge in energy healing. While I can always learn more, at this point I believe that my next step would be actual participants -- you know, the kind that AREN'T my friends or family. When I was working, I did get a bit of experience "trying" on pregnant women because they thought me as a last resort, but I'd like to further this background to include other people... people who might, eventually, pay me for said services. I've (about 80% of the time), had good results of those people curious-enough to try. Now, on to the obstacle... I live in Iowa. This is a blessing and also a curse because the market is virtually unheard-of. I don't know where I would even start looking. It's not really an accepted practice around here and I fear the newspapers would tear me to shreds. Any ideas of what angle to look at or where to start would be greatly appreciated.
Unique isn't just an adjective. If you're good, you can mold it... nudge it... love it... into a verb.
NaciraMinan
New User
New User

Postby urbanpioneer » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:10 am

I live in Iowa, too, and the big cities aren't the backwater that you may think. The big hospitals in Des Moines and Iowa City may have a holistic or natural healing center that you could clue into. Even if some of the doctors think what you do is just a placebo, well, they've been known to prescribe sugar pills from time to time themselves for the psycholgical benfit if the patient believes a little pill is going to help. Also, there is a world class health spa in Farifield associated with the Maharishi University. Their Iyurvedic (sp?) healing methods might be a good fit with yours. And the prices people are willing to pay to stay at their spa is amazing. Their clients obviously have LOTS of money. Check it out.
urbanpioneer
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby AthenaCat42 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:12 am

There is a BIG group of folks who are into metaphysical stuff. They'd be interested. I know they have fairs, festivals, and all kinds of gatherings throughout the midwest. I no longer have the links, or I would forward them to you. I'm sure you could Google for it (and if you find one group, even if it's not quite the right fit, they might know other groups / events that would be a fit). I have a lot of relatives in Iowa and Nebraska who might very well be interested in what you have to offer, so I know they exist.
AthenaCat42
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby bodyworker » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:55 am

What are the nearest "metaphysical/new age" bookstores or health shops that would have the kind of clientele you are looking for? Put your cards in those places, talk to the people who work there and offer a sample session so they can feel comfortable recommending you to their customers. Do you have a website telling about the work you do? They are not expensive and would help broaden your scope of marketing. Put your website on all your marketing materials. Do get out of your own way and stop "knowing" what your current community is/is not into. Stop prequalifying your potential clients. Be open to receiving people interested in energy work and tell the Universe you are ready. This has been the biggest lesson for me in my business. Make a decision not to convince anyone that what you do is valid. Those who think it's crap can stay away (that is okay and doesn't have anything to do with you) and those who are interested can come forward, but it is not necessarily your job to educate your area in order to have clients, but certainly be ready to educate those who are curious. Your clients are out there...make the first step and then wait, make the next step and then wait, keeping making steps to market yourself and then wait for the results. Are there any acupunturists, reflexologists, massage therapists, herbalists, homeopathic practitioners, etc within 90 miles of you? Contact them and exchange information. Most importantly is to feel very comfortable with what you do. If you don't understand it, then you can't help anyone else understand it and then you probably feel like a quack. So study and then practice having conversations with people about what you just learned that is so fascinating! Good luck!
bodyworker
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby jewelB » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:42 pm

I live in Iowa, too. . . and I think you might be surprised what's cookin' here. I know of a couple of people who are making a living doing what you are talking about (if I understand correctly, that is! ) Urban Pioneer has great ideas. Are you willing to PM us and tell us where you live? Maybe we can help hook you up. I know of an spirituality/interest group in DM that could be a link. (btw-- I'm really in and out for a week or so!) --jewelB
jewelB
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Thank you

Postby NaciraMinan » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:31 am

I looked over all of your responses and they were wonderful! I think the whole wish/obstacle situation stemmed out of my own fears, more than any reticence I've actually experienced on the part of others. And you were right, I thought I was, but I'm finding that I'm not exactly comfortable talking about it with other people. I've actually started practicing with myself. lol Thank you, everyone, for your support and enthusiasm!
Unique isn't just an adjective. If you're good, you can mold it... nudge it... love it... into a verb.
NaciraMinan
New User
New User

Postby moodle » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:32 pm

I don't' know where you are in Iowa, but I had friends who lived in iowa City and said that was a very progressive and liberal town (because it's a college town). But everyone else is right - dont' prequalify your clients. "Alternative" health therapies are becoming more and more popular, even in smaller towns! Make yourself a marketing package - fliers, business cards, a website, etc. If you need a biz card/website, i design biz packages and websites and could get one going for you for a reasonable price!
moodle
New Poster
New Poster

Postby sybilizedliving » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:29 pm

What kind of energy work? Is it conducive to doing it over the phone? Seems like I'm reading a lot lately about people doing EFT over the phone successfully. If you don't find the people you need locally, could you offer teleclasses or wouldn't that fit with what you do?
sybilizedliving
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Wildmann » Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:15 pm

There's a big community of meditation people in Fairfield, Iowa, down near the southeast part of the state. There's a new age bookstore there and there's thousands of people into personal growth and all sorts of unusual programs, some directly involved in the TM program (transcendental meditation) and some not at all related. The book store is called Twenty First Century Books Store, I think that's the name. I'd bet they're online. Hope this helps.
Wildmann
New User
New User

Postby Aguila » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:44 pm

It is so wonderful that you wish to embark on your journey ! KUDOS to you ! Please do not think there are not people interested in what you have to offer because there ARE. Many. I can quote you stats from Harvard Medical Journal from many years ago from when I was applying for a 501c3 designation for my NPO of how many people seek \"alternative\" therapies. I am going to take a different spin on this one from how you may or may not be thinking - and it is this - you do not need to find them. All you need to do is set yourself up where the CAN find you which is making yourself very VISIBLE. When I began my private practice 10 years ago I did something that catapulted my business. And created another one which I adored - I soon split my time 50 -50 and survived and then flourished. What did I do? I went to my local adult ed office and offered them a 2 hour seminar. At that time all there was in adult ad were 6 week courses. The pay was pittance per hour. I said \"but I can take clients for x per hour so it would not be worth my time. Let's try this. Just TRY it and if it doesn't work it doesn't - it is taking only a small space in your catalog. Let's do a 2 hour one night workshop and if it books I get $xxx for the evening. They agreed. SO....I went to the next town (more out of naivete - since the first one said yes I figured why not) The next town said yes, then the next and the next. Each said yes (some took a bit more convincing but I could always say that the other towns were doing it). Soon I was giving 4 different seminars in 9 towns - eventually 16 towns. I was out every Monday through Thursday for the full Fall and the the full Spring season. This gave me great exposure and LOTS of clients. I could offer a wonderful evening, tons of info, gain clients AND hone my skills as a presenter. I got the bugs out of my seminars - found what worked and what didn't and got them to fit into specific times. (I tend to run long - bring out the hook) :D I asked people what they wanted. I surveyed them (many of the education offices give you forms to have the participants fill in anyway - they were invaluable to me) I also put together materials not just to hand out but to SELL. I began self publishing books and tapes and CD's. I began to get hospitals, nursing associations, medical conferences, private corporations calling me to present. I often was a keynote. Soon I expanded to learning centers which pay a cut of the gate. The real money then was the sale of the products at the back of the room. So now I had 2 careers - practitioner (and very busy) and presenter. Then I went more national and then international. It all started by selling a small school department to let me TRY. If you want to go this route I can suggest some books to help you. I found this far better than putting business cards and brochures places, running ads, sticking flyers under windshields and giving away free treatments. AND IT WAS SO MUCH FUN ! By the way - every new seminar/workshop I have ever sold I sold it before I wrote it. I had the concept only - the guts got outlined on paper then the tape recorder came out and I spoke it out loud then transcribed and tweaked it. Selling it first showed me that there would be interest AND it gave me a deadline. It may sound scary but once you get into the flow (THAT\"S ENERGY AT WORK) it flows and all comes together. Spirit speaks through you. Oh - and do not forget to join and also approach women's networking groups - they usually have a breakfast, lunch or dinner program and need a speaker for 30-45 minutes. Always demonstrate something or do a participatory thing - food makes people sleepy. Great energy to you !
Aguila
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Moonracer » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:13 pm

Brilliant, Aguila. Brilliant. A lot of great advice, Nacira. And now that you've named your fear, you can start chipping away at it! :D
Moonracer
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: W: To find more energy healing participants O: Living in IA

Postby Princess Holly » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:58 pm

You should definitely come to Iowa City; a lot of people here are very into what you're doing, if I've understood you correctly. As to what you could do to get the word out inexpensively, we have two organic food cooperatives, and both of them will let you post a flyer with your name, contact info, and a description of your services on their bulletin boards. People who go to the coops are always checking out the bulletin boards, and they're generally among the most progressive and open-minded people in a very progressive and open-minded community. There are other places that would let you post flyers, and you could also talk to the owners of a few New Age-style stores about doing workshops in their stores. You can also post your flyers all over the university and in all of the dorms and various University buildings, of which there are a zillion, if you get your flyer approved by the University. That's not as hard as it sounds. I've done it before and I'd be happy to help. I think you could get more clients than you could ever want in short order- Iowa City is extremely progressive.
Evil is boring. Cynicism is idiotic. Fear is a bad habit. Despair is lazy. Joy is fascinating. Love is an act of heroic genius. Pleasure is our birthright.- Rob Brezsny, Freewillastrology.com
Princess Holly
New User
New User

Return to Idea Parties